Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread - Page 32

post #466 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Maybe you could recommend me that UIEM as a replacement for when I send mine back. :) hint hint.

 

Sorry, you'll just have to wait like everybody else until I get my C4s and write about them. wink.gif


Edited by Omphalopsychite - 3/22/13 at 9:17pm
post #467 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

Sorry, you'll just have to wait like everybody else until I get my C4s and write about them. wink.gif

Aww shucks... wink.gif

 

 

Do you think I can request for a color change when I refit? David is a lil slow on replies, so I can only speculate on here.

post #468 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Aww shucks... wink.gif

 

 

Do you think I can request for a color change when I refit? David is a lil slow on replies, so I can only speculate on here.

 

I'm positive you can request it, whether David honours your request is another thing... I can't see why not though.

post #469 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTan View Post

Aww shucks... wink.gif



Do you think I can request for a color change when I refit? David is a lil slow on replies, so I can only speculate on here.
Unfortunately changing shell colour is not an option during a reshell. The reason being that we do not make you a new shell from new materials, we take the existing acrylic and remould it to the new moulds given. I wish this wasn't the case so a simple change would be straightforward... But in this case it would be making a completely new shell and cost us a lot more money to do so.

It's also a question of mixing the new colours for the shell (we prepare that in advance) and then applying those colour correctly. Adds more labour time to a reshell than what we can put into it in the first place.
Edited by ZimmerX - 3/25/13 at 5:29am
post #470 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmerX View Post


Unfortunately changing shell colour is not an option during a reshell. The reason being that we do not make you a new shell from new materials, we take the existing acrylic and remould it to the new moulds given. I wish this wasn't the case so a simple change would be straightforward... But in this case it would be making a completely new shell and cost us a lot more money to do so.

 

woah, TIL

post #471 of 868

Got email from Dave this morning, my C4s have been shipped.  With any luck they should be here within a week. ksc75smile.gif

post #472 of 868

Boooooo you got it before me... no fun at all. mad.gif

post #473 of 868

Hi all:

 

I ordered my C4s in early Dec. Frogbeats received my impressions on 12/19.  I received my C4s on 3/14.

 

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with my AS-2s.

 

Initial impression is that C4 is much brighter, AS-2 has much more bass/lower mid presence. On my iPhone/Vamp rig I use 'Bass Booster' eq w/ C4s, 'Treble Booster' eq w/ AS-2s. They end up sounding very similar then. AS-2 still a little warmer, C4 a bit more open and 3 dimensional staging, also a bit more upper-mid focus. But the differences are surprisingly subtle.

 

I use iTunes eq on my laptop/Ultra-Fi/Shadow rig -- boost bass 32, 64 & 128 Hz bands in descending increments from +8db.

 

Without eq, treble/upper-mid energy overwhelms bass energy on lots of songs (eg last 2 minutes of 'Blessed' by Lucinda Williams, or The Who, 'Magic Bus').

 

C4 bottom end responds well & 'cleanly' to eq. 

post #474 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaple View Post

Boooooo you got it before me... no fun at all. mad.gif

 

 

How long since Frogbeats received your impressions?  Mine took just under 10 weeks from impression receipt to shipment.

post #475 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

 

 

How long since Frogbeats received your impressions?  Mine took just under 10 weeks from impression receipt to shipment.

 

Haha they got my impression on 3/14 but I opt for rush order so it should be done this week.

post #476 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMusicLover View Post

Hi all:

I ordered my C4s in early Dec. Frogbeats received my impressions on 12/19.  I received my C4s on 3/14.

I'm doing a lot of comparisons with my AS-2s.

Initial impression is that C4 is much brighter, AS-2 has much more bass/lower mid presence. On my iPhone/Vamp rig I use 'Bass Booster' eq w/ C4s, 'Treble Booster' eq w/ AS-2s. They end up sounding very similar then. AS-2 still a little warmer, C4 a bit more open and 3 dimensional staging, also a bit more upper-mid focus. But the differences are surprisingly subtle.

I use iTunes eq on my laptop/Ultra-Fi/Shadow rig -- boost bass 32, 64 & 128 Hz bands in descending increments from +8db.

Without eq, treble/upper-mid energy overwhelms bass energy on lots of songs (eg last 2 minutes of 'Blessed' by Lucinda Williams, or The Who, 'Magic Bus').

C4 bottom end responds well & 'cleanly' to eq. 
Cheers for the comparison. Could you comment on :-

- the AS-2. Is this with the tuneable bass port option? What setting was it when you did the comparison?
- understood about the 3D depth imaging. how does the soundstage compare between the two?
- any comments about the mids?
- which do you personally feel is suited for vocals?

Thanks.
post #477 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


Cheers for the comparison. Could you comment on :-

- the AS-2. Is this with the tuneable bass port option? What setting was it when you did the comparison?
Yes, it has the tuneable bass port. There's no 'setting' on the port.  It's just a screw that you loosen or tighten to increase (loosen) or decrease (tighten) the amount of air (and therefore sound) that moves through the port. It's set approximately where it was when shipped fromAurisonics.
- understood about the 3D depth imaging. how does the soundstage compare between the two?
Soundstage is pretty similar, maybe a bit more 'intimate' with AS-2, more 'open' with C4. More sense of depth (instruments further away, as opposed to just quieter) with C4s. But it's a small difference. Generally both do and excellent job of separating and localizing instruments, with slight nod to C4s.

- any comments about the mids?
- which do you personally feel is suited for vocals?
Both have very nice mids. AS-2 mids seem to build on the bass -- warmth & richness. C4 mids seem more immediate/forward, seeming bright even when the top end has been reduced by EQ.  I love both, but there is a significant difference in character/tone. On C4 Lucinda Williams can seem thin, sharp, while kd lang just becomes wonderfully present. Conversely, kd lang can seem a bit distant or veiled on AS-2, while Lucinda Williams is just perfect, still sharp, but also filled with richness and body. 
Thanks.

 

The most evaluative (is that a word?) comment I'm ready to make at this point is that I was very happy w/ AS-2 w/out eq, although I like it better with, while I was dissatisfied with the C4 until I eq'd it.

post #478 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMusicLover View Post

The most evaluative (is that a word?) comment I'm ready to make at this point is that I was very happy w/ AS-2 w/out eq, although I like it better with, while I was dissatisfied with the C4 until I eq'd it.
Thank you for the responses.

Although I'm sure your last paragraph is not your final word until you've listened to both for an extended period of time but I find your interim conclusion to be very clear & concise on your position of these two different IEMs.

At least for me it definitely helps me understand more about them without any access to them. Thank you, it's truly appreciated.
post #479 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

 

The AS-2 is for you AnakChan wink_face.gif

post #480 of 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

 

The AS-2 is for you AnakChan wink_face.gif

Scary when you know me too well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread