Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for fast, high bass impact headphone with good clarity for electronica
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for fast, high bass impact headphone with good clarity for electronica

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

I was wondering if you guys can help me out.  Currently I have a HD600 + Lyr + Bifrost combo which I love, but I am looking for a set of headphones with these criteria for electronica/vocal trance/synthpop:

 

- Fast and controlled bass response

- Deep and high impact bass but not muddy

- Smooth and non fatiguing highs

- Minimal bass bleed into mids/highs

- I'd want to be able to use it with the Lyr if possilbe

- Under $300

 

I tried the HD650 but didn't like them since it lacked speed and impact.  Thanks.

post #2 of 29

Maybe beyerdynamic dt990?  I think they satisfiy most of your requirements.

post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Actually I have heard the DT880 and didn't like them since they were too bright and the DT990 is supposed to be even brighter.
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

Actually I have heard the DT880 and didn't like them since they were too bright and the DT990 is supposed to be even brighter.

The Denon D2000 would satisfy your needs, unfortunately they've been discontinued. There are still a few vendors with left over stocks however, you can search around and I'm sure something will come up.
post #5 of 29

Maybe

 

V-Moda M100

M-Audio Q40

 

These fit the bill for the most parts. Denon D2000 are probably slightly too slow and slightly on the bright side and DT990 is too bright. I'm loving the Q40 for my electronica (check out my Hardstyle promote youtube channel) but I will probably give M100 a try later as well as it's described as a perfect headphone for electronica in Tyll's opinion.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 11/15/12 at 10:41pm
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. What do you guys think of the Ultrasone hfi-580?
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. What do you guys think of the Ultrasone hfi-580?

 

Yea it's also a very good contender, I nearly listed it as well but these aspects may not full fit your demands;

 

- Slightly aggressive upper-mid/lower-highs range

- Not the deepest extending bass (it's very punchy and a bit more midbass focused than subbass focused but it do reach pretty low but yea I'd still put it somewhat on the midbassy side)

post #8 of 29
Well if u get interested in a portable the dt1350 matches your description perfectly. They don't have that kind of beyer DT brightness. Nice and fast, controlled sounding bass. Smooth highs.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

Well if u get interested in a portable the dt1350 matches your description perfectly. They don't have that kind of beyer DT brightness. Nice and fast, controlled sounding bass. Smooth highs.

 

Only they don't offer much bass impact though.

post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by technica18 View Post

I was wondering if you guys can help me out.  Currently I have a HD600 + Lyr + Bifrost combo which I love, but I am looking for a set of headphones with these criteria for electronica/vocal trance/synthpop:

 

- Fast and controlled bass response

- Deep and high impact bass but not muddy

- Smooth and non fatiguing highs

- Minimal bass bleed into mids/highs

- I'd want to be able to use it with the Lyr if possilbe

- Under $300

 

I tried the HD650 but didn't like them since it lacked speed and impact.  Thanks.

 

Easy:

 

Mr Speakers Mad Dog (Modded T50RP), Orthos are fast.

 

Very best,

post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Maybe

 

V-Moda M100

M-Audio Q40

These are the headphones that I would recommend, my Q40's are amazing for my bass needs. Shakes my brain.

post #12 of 29

HE-400s. Doesn't have slamming bass but definitely is one of the top headphones for clarity, speed, detail. Has enough oomph at the bottom end, (I was a basshead before I tried these). And people love the HE-400 + Lyr combo.

post #13 of 29

I currently have the HE-400 on my head. It is simply the best time I've ever had listening to dub / club mixes. The bass is somewhat elevated, and the extension and definition and clarity of it is really awesome! Tight, fast, good impact, and super-controlled. I hear it pairs great with Lyr as well. However, it has quite the treble peak. I like Grados, so you know I enjoy bright treble; but the treble peak of the HE-400 is a bit too much, perhaps because it is so contrasted against the darkness of the mids and the lows.

That said, it's $400. You might be able to eek one out of the classifieds for close to your price range, but make sure to identify which revision it is from the seller. Rev3 is no good, you want rev2 or the post-rev3 version.

Also, I've not heard the Mr Dogs Mad Speakers, but if its bass is anything like the bass of the HE-400, then I think you can't go wrong! I think their highs are supposedly smoother than the HE-400, which really should be easy to accomplish. Might be a really good choice.

post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitz View Post

I currently have the HE-400 on my head. It is simply the best time I've ever had listening to dub / club mixes. The bass is somewhat elevated, and the extension and definition and clarity of it is really awesome! Tight, fast, good impact, and super-controlled. I hear it pairs great with Lyr as well. However, it has quite the treble peak. I like Grados, so you know I enjoy bright treble; but the treble peak of the HE-400 is a bit too much, perhaps because it is so contrasted against the darkness of the mids and the lows.

That said, it's $400. You might be able to eek one out of the classifieds for close to your price range, but make sure to identify which revision it is from the seller. Rev3 is no good, you want rev2 or the post-rev3 version.

Also, I've not heard the Mr Dogs Mad Speakers, but if its bass is anything like the bass of the HE-400, then I think you can't go wrong! I think their highs are supposedly smoother than the HE-400, which really should be easy to accomplish. Might be a really good choice.

Do you need an amp to drive the HE-400?

post #15 of 29

$340 can get you the Ultrasone Pro 900s. Thats brand new. Could get them cheaper second hand. They're great for what you want to use them for.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for fast, high bass impact headphone with good clarity for electronica