Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › sennheiser 598s vs shure 840
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

sennheiser 598s vs shure 840

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
would the sennheiser 598s be a significant upgrade over the 840s i have the shure 840s now and an e10 amp. Would the 598s powered by the e10 be much of an improvement
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods12 View Post

would the sennheiser 598s be a significant upgrade over the 840s i have the shure 840s now and an e10 amp. Would the 598s powered by the e10 be much of an improvement

 

Heya,

 

No, not really. It would be more of simply a side-grade. The HD598 is going to have less mid-bass, and less sub-bass, but have a larger sound stage, better imaging, and sound slightly more forward/bright with mids/treble. So you're looking at a different direction. The SRH840 is warm neutral, with a good sound stage, and decent isolation, considering it's closed back. You're talking about comparing a bright openback headphone that is not bassy to it. They're different completely really.

 

Very best,

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Alright thanks. I was looking for an upgrade open can for gaming and i was gonna wait for the new ad700s to come out
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods12 View Post

Alright thanks. I was looking for an upgrade open can for gaming and i was gonna wait for the new ad700s to come out

 

Heya,

 

The HD598 is better than the AD700 in every way, frankly.

 

Look at the Sony MA900 for gaming perhaps.

 

Very best,

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Even the new ad700x or whatever the new ones that are coming out this week called. And how do the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms compare with the 598s
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods12 View Post

Even the new ad700x or whatever the new ones that are coming out this week called. And how do the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms compare with the 598s

 

Heya,

 

The A700X is a nice little headphone, warmer than typical Art series AT's.

 

The DT770 PRO is very bassy compared to the HD598, with less forward mids, similar bright treble, and the DT770 is closed back so it has less sound stage but more isolation.

 

Very best,

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
maybe i can raise my budget to 250. I have an e10 amp so an open headphone that would work well with the amp for gaming
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods12 View Post

maybe i can raise my budget to 250. I have an e10 amp so an open headphone that would work well with the amp for gaming

 

That opens quite a bit of possibilities.

 

I would primarily point you towards (open, great sound stage, warmer, touch more bass):

 

Beyer DT880 PRO (250ohm)

Ultrasone HFI 2400

Hifiman HE-300

 

And (open, big sound stages, closer to neutral, not so much bass):

 

Sony MA900

Sennheiser HD598

AudioTechnica AD900

AKG Q701

 

Very best,

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mods12 View Post

Even the new ad700x or whatever the new ones that are coming out this week called. And how do the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250-Ohms compare with the 598s

You can get the ATH-AD700X right now from Rakuten ($185+shipping) and Amazon Japan ($175+shipping).

 

Personally I would take the HD598 over the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, as with open headphones your ears last longer without a headphone break.

post #10 of 14

HD 598 is the better all-rounder 

post #11 of 14

From reading around the forums I get the impression that the q701 has bad center imaging and attenuated treble, while the hd598 doesn't have the same level of detail it may be more likable since it has more forward mids and bass and fantastic imaging. I've actually been between these two for a longgg time, I think it's about time I pull the trigger. 

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

That opens quite a bit of possibilities.

 

I would primarily point you towards (open, great sound stage, warmer, touch more bass):

 

 

Ultrasone HFI 2400

 

 

So you'd consider the HFI-2400 more of a side grade vs. the 598?  I don't suppose you have a reference to the HFI-580?  I might be looking into into the 2400 due to open back design, velour ear pads, and removable cable.  

 

As for the topic.  You really can't go wrong with the Sennheiser HD598 set.  They are truly wonderful headphones that ought to please you.  Unless you are a basshead.  Otherwise I'd suggest looking into the Ultrasone line of headphones. 

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMushroom View Post

 

So you'd consider the HFI-2400 more of a side grade vs. the 598?  I don't suppose you have a reference to the HFI-580?  I might be looking into into the 2400 due to open back design, velour ear pads, and removable cable.  

 

As for the topic.  You really can't go wrong with the Sennheiser HD598 set.  They are truly wonderful headphones that ought to please you.  Unless you are a basshead.  Otherwise I'd suggest looking into the Ultrasone line of headphones. 

 

Heya,

 

Totally a side grade, not a down or upgrade. The HFI2400 is warmer by far, it's a bassy headphone, but it's not stupid bassy. The mids are great, vocals and instruments (and game effects) sound great, not distant and veiled, but also not forward beyond the other frequencies. It's a good mid-range. The treble is slightly on the bright side, but only slightly, being open-air, the treble is relaxed more compared to closed Ultrasones. The HFI580 has more sub-bass (naturally, it's closed), mid-bass is similar, stronger on HFI580 (again, naturally, it's closed), mids & treble are nicer on the HFI2400 though, more airy, better separation. The HFI2400 has a better sound stage and imaging. The HFI2400 looks nicer and is more comfortable too (velour pads), if that matters at all.

 

Very best,

post #14 of 14
I have both and love both. They compliment each other very well. If I had to choose I would take the 598 because it has such great soundstage and is still versatile genre wise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › sennheiser 598s vs shure 840