I mean sub-bass vibration. I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find any song with which the ES10 is over-crowded in low frequency. It's not bass-deficient by any means, but the overall sound of the ES10 is still clean and lean with more midrange emphasis. I don't know how to best describe it, but if you have heard a DT880, then the ES10 sounds essentially like that... with more forward midrange, a bit less treble energy, and a more closed soundstage.
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 11/18/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 11/18/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 - 32 Ohmtagged by System, 11/18/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohmtagged by System, 11/18/12
- productbeyerdynamic T50ptagged by System, 11/18/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 11/18/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/18/12
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 11/18/12
- productDenon AH-D600tagged by System, 11/18/12More
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 11/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything with zero noise bleed? Up to $400 or so Last post on 12/10/12 at 10:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for rap/hip hop using iPhone!? Last post on 9/22/12 at 1:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Battle of the Portables - A review of my headphones: Audio Technica ATH-ES10 vs. ESW9A vs.... Last post on 2/24/14 at 4:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- WTB/WTT for Ultrasone Edition or Signature, Denon AH-D950, Beyer T5P, And others.... Last post on 7/22/13 at 3:18pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
Is the ATH-ES10 what I want for Christmas? - Page 2post #16 of 2811/21/12 at 3:20pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2811/21/12 at 4:14pmThread Starterpost #18 of 2811/21/12 at 9:04pm
And I'm not saying all that to make the ES10 "sound" better than it actually is, by the way.
The Denon DX000s are perfectly valid and competitive alternatives to ES10. If you value a larger soundstage, and more residual sub bass, then the Denons are still far better at those angles than the ES10.post #19 of 2811/22/12 at 10:15amThread Starterpost #20 of 2811/22/12 at 3:07pm
No. It has about the same amount of impact as the Denons in my opinions. And that's quite something. The Denon DX000s have probably some of the most powerful bass impact in their price range.post #21 of 2811/22/12 at 3:38pm
I sold my Denon D5000's and I love the ATH-ES10. Just for the record I think the ATH-ES10 has tighter and nicer quality bass. However it's not the 50Hz sub-bass kind if that's what you're after.
I listened to Tonight by Joe. Uh yeah, the ATH-ES10 sounds excellent here, I don't know, I think you might be disappointed by the slight lack of sub-bass though.
If you want a nice sub-bass headphone with nice vocals and highs in that order, part of me is saying check out the -deleted-
Hmm, then there are IEM's which will... wait...
--- fetching IEM ---
Lol, OK I listened to that song again, Tonight by Joe. Trust me I know what you want, it's the JVC FXD80. That IEM destroys the ES10 and Denon's in sub-bass impact and quality, I'm not even kidding, at all, either!
Edited by kiteki - 11/22/12 at 3:39pmpost #22 of 2811/22/12 at 8:09pmThread StarterI know of JVC's newer in ears, as I actually own the HA-FX101, and I considered those exact IEMs before, yet I'm wanting a fullsize headphone. How would you compare those JVCs to both the DX000s and ES10?post #23 of 2811/22/12 at 10:38pm
Well the D5000 is much more refined and musical, the ES10 is, well I've written a lot about it in the ES10 thread.
As an IEM, the FXD80 has a more intimate presentation, and the FXD80 sub-bass and 10kHz spike are quite intense. It suits RnB and vocals if you can handle it's flow.post #24 of 2811/22/12 at 10:56pmThread StarterI see, I'm not the biggest fan of an intimate presentation, but it does sound like something to definitely check out if I can find some spare money. The D5000 is sounding like the best option.post #25 of 2811/22/12 at 11:11pm
The D5000 is not very good for portable use, since it's rather unwieldly and leaks sound.post #26 of 2811/23/12 at 7:08amThread StarterHonestly, portability isn't much of a factor, 90% of my listening will be done in my dorm room. I will go to the library and such, but that's just about the limit of portability that I mentioned.post #27 of 2811/23/12 at 8:23am
Ah OK I see then. =)
I've only heard the D5000, people say the D2000 has tighter bass, and that they sound very similar. If the price difference is significant go for the D2000. =)
The Denon Dx000 series is a pretty safe investment, not many people dislike them that's for sure. Look at the amazon reviews of the D5000 lol.post #28 of 2811/23/12 at 9:14pmThread StarterYeah they are well favored...however, the biggest problem I'm facing is finding them at a decent price...
I've actually been reading the opposite regarding the D2000 and the D5000, saying the D5000 has tighter bass than the D2000.
Edited by Hydrocharged - 11/24/12 at 7:36am
- Is the ATH-ES10 what I want for Christmas?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Amp/DAC for the LCD-X --- just to nail it, I already did my research 2 minutes ago
- › cmoyBB v2.03R rechargeable 9v model 2 minutes ago
- › Great Modern Classical Recordings 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South... 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude