Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread - Page 4  

post #46 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

ARe the 267s not out yet?
So these are better than the choices I listed above? I like treble and bass. I listen to a lot of live music and love the "live" sound of music, so a bass heavy even though I don't listen to bass heavy music, such as DMB, led Zepp, Coldplay and the like.
Better choice than the ultrasone pro 750?

They are not out yet, but they will be shipping out to stores on December 15th, and shipped out for pre-orderers soon after. 

 

I hope I get mine before the new year - but that's iffy. 

 

I want more people to try the 167's so we can get a better idea of what to expect out of the K267's. I wonder which sound setting on the 267's would be the closest to the 167's?

post #47 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

A lot more bass?

 

Yes. But trust me, theres still alot of detail in the mids and highs.

 

Quote:

 

ARe the 267s not out yet?

 

Not yet. December.


 

 

Quote:
Better choice than the ultrasone pro 750?

 

Have no idea...

post #48 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSxIgnition View Post
I wonder which sound setting on the 267's would be the closest to the 167's?

 

"Club"? Because I'm pretty sure the "Stage" setting will be earth-shaking.


Edited by miow - 11/20/12 at 6:03pm
post #49 of 1488

Hmmm.... I wouldn't really want much more. I think anything more than the Q701 with a +2db bass boost (from my E17) is too much. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

 

Yes. But trust me, theres still alot of detail in the mids and highs.

 

post #50 of 1488
Thread Starter 

I'm EQ'ing the bass to the max levels (software and hardware - amp), so it might be around +2db than the Q701 without heavy EQ. It's possible. Now one thing is for sure: these headphones have alot and I mean ALOT of detail. They're wonderful.


Edited by miow - 11/20/12 at 6:08pm
post #51 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

 

"Club"? Because I'm pretty sure the "Stage" will be earth-shaking.

So am I left to assume Studio will be even more balanced than the 167's? I hope so - that way I get the best of both worlds.

post #52 of 1488
Thread Starter 

Thats my guess.

post #53 of 1488

A difference of +/- 2db is not a huge difference. So if you are saying the K167 has a lot more bass than the Q701 then I doubt it's just a difference of around 2db. I would consider something that has a difference of 5 db or more to be a big difference. If these really only have about 2-3 db more in the bass than the Q701 then that would be a good amount of bass for me. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

I'm EQ'ing the bass to the max levels (software and hardware - amp), so it might be around +2db than the Q701 without heavy EQ. It's possible. Now one thing is for sure: these headphones have alot and I mean ALOT of detail. They're wonderful.

 

These are easily driven by an iPod or iPhone alone, without any extra amplification?

post #54 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

A difference of +/- 2db is not a huge difference. So if you are saying the K167 has a lot more bass than the Q701 then I doubt it's just a difference of around 2db. I would consider something that has a difference of 5 db or more to be a big difference. If these really only have about 2-3 db more in the bass than the Q701 then that would be a good amount of bass for me. 

 

These are easily driven by an iPod or iPhone alone, without any extra amplification?

 

Yes, they are. I'm driving them now from the Sony A865 while the amp battery charges. But the amp gives other amplitude, even better separation.

 

Well, the best thing would be to test them. I had the K701, which I think that are close to the Q701..?!


Edited by miow - 11/20/12 at 6:32pm
post #55 of 1488

Ulgh your really making me want to sell my pair of Dt990-600 ohms and splurge on these. 

 

Just a btw: as said above a 3db difference is barely noticeable. Think of going into your car and turning your volume knob up super slowly so it just barely gets louder from minimum volume, and that is most likely a 3db increase. (3db increases happens at doubling of power, so a car amplifier powering speakers with 93db sensitivity at 1 watt would produce 96db at 2 watts and 99 db at 4 wats, ect.)

 

a 10 db increase is a perceived double in volume. 

post #56 of 1488
Thread Starter 

With headphones of this level, you will want to use 320K or LOSSLESS. They are unforgiving. They show any imperfection in the recording/conversion.

 

They sound like a $300 headphone. I just can't stop listening :p


Edited by miow - 11/20/12 at 6:56pm
post #57 of 1488

I've never heard the K, but the Q is said to have a bit more bass/warmth than the K. So if you are comparing to the K, then these really may be a good option for me. I kind of want a sealed portable version of my Q701. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

 

Yes, they are. I'm driving them now from the Sony A865 while the amp battery charges. But the amp gives other amplitude, even better separation.

 

Well, the best thing would be to test them. I had the K701, which I think that are close to the Q701..?!

post #58 of 1488

I can definitely hear a difference between the flat and +2db bass boost on my Fiio E17. The difference is there for sure, but it isn't huge. Just for proof, check out the first post of the big E17 thread, there are measurements taken of the different bass boost settings and the +2 setting is more like 1.5-1.75 if you really look hard at the graph. I think the threshold for human hearing is 1db, but 1db is really quite a small difference, as is 2db. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post

Ulgh your really making me want to sell my pair of Dt990-600 ohms and splurge on these. 

 

Just a btw: as said above a 3db difference is barely noticeable. Think of going into your car and turning your volume knob up super slowly so it just barely gets louder from minimum volume, and that is most likely a 3db increase. (3db increases happens at doubling of power, so a car amplifier powering speakers with 93db sensitivity at 1 watt would produce 96db at 2 watts and 99 db at 4 wats, ect.)

 

a 10 db increase is a perceived double in volume. 

post #59 of 1488
Thread Starter 

Oh, so in that case... these might be for you.
 

post #60 of 1488
MOAR! MOAR MOAR! TELL ME MOAR!!!

Now I am excited about something else. This place sucks/ but is so awesome
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread