Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread - Page 14  

post #196 of 1488

Alright kool.  I try to avoid using over exaggerated words when describing things.  I try to never say "These are the best headphones I've EVER heard", because I've made that mistake before when I started, so I stopped saying it and try to be reasonable with my responses.

 

I bought my SRH940 used for $200, so if I had $200 and no headphones right now, I'd go for the K167 because of it's versatlity.  I am still amazed that I can switch from metal to electronic and have no complaints.


I'm listening to this band right now, and I'm amazed that this DJ headphone can make it sound great.  A previous DJ headphone of mine, the PRO700MK2, could not keep up with the speed and it didn't even sound like music anymore.  With the K167, the drums, guitars, and vocals are very clearly separated.  On the SRH940, it's like the kick drum isn't even there and all I hear is one guitar, a Fisher Price toy drum set, and guy screaming hahaha

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib0L7C7crzk

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post


Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for :-).
I have a feeling I would like these. I may wait until the K267 is released so I can jettison the long cable.

Edited by PFULMTL - 11/24/12 at 5:14pm
post #197 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

Finally home T___T I've only used them for about an hour, so I'll quickly say that these are better than the recent AKG K618DJ ($99) as I expected.  All I wanted was more detail to go along with that bass and larger earcups.  It is much more detailed, but a notch lower on the bass.  The kick drum sounded the same as the K618, meaning it's really noticable in rock songs.  Although on the K618, it was so much that it felt like they were kicking your face instead.  Some people are into that though.

 

The rest of the sound spectrum on the K167?  Great so far. :)  I'm very picky on the vocals, and these do it well.  The highs aren't harsh or bright.  Lots of detail with bass, that's what everyone wants, and these have it.

 

Nothing about the sound is annoying me right now.  For the build though, I don't like that when around your neck they can't fold down.  I use my headphones everywhere, so if I'm not using them I want them to fold flat, faced down, and out of the way, not in a V shape.  They aren't uncomfortable around your neck because the pads are wide, but I hate the feeling like I just got in a car wreck and wearing a neck brace.  If I were to use these as a beat monitor, you'd have to fold them flat anyway.


The polymer durability adds to the cost, but I think it's worth it.  I wish it came with the same straight cable on the K618 because it was a good length, which to me means if the cable touches the floor, it's long enough.  I like long cables.  I'm not impressed with the quality of this coiled cable.  It feels really cheap and already tangles up.

 

Also, I paid for a used pair ($10 off), but I got a new one in a shrink wrapped box with the seal stickers intact.  Win.

For $180 are these worth it?  Yes.

 

I gave all my headphones away because I was preparing to move.  The only one I have left was the SRH940, so here's some pics.

 

1000

 

 

1000

 

 

Which one more fun?

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

Damn, the bass is so tight and deep and fast, with lots of detail. It's maybe the best bass (quality) I've heard. Wondering how will the K267's bass sound like :p

 

TIËSTO's my hero. lol.

 

 

 

Noooo..... drooling again ....

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

I think these are about detail and fun. Excelent treble, clear mids and detailed, tight and deep bass. Great dynamics, good PRaT. 

 

Since you know the DENON HP700, dweaver, these have even better treble (resolution) and better bass (much tighter and deeoer). Also superior dynamics. The sound sig is similar, with a bit more forward treble on the K167's. These also have a wider soundstage and better PRaT. The HP700 sound a bit boring in comparison (although very good - you even compare them to the DENON D7000 and I loved them before listening to the K167's).

 

 

 

Is denon hp700 on the same league with K167?

post #198 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimoo View Post

Is denon hp700 on the same league with K167?

 

They were not supposed to be, but in fact they are. dweaver even compared them side by side to the Denon D7000s and in several songs/genres they won. They are that good. But the K167's are better in my opinion.


Edited by miow - 11/24/12 at 5:49pm
post #199 of 1488

How do these compare with the K550s? I feel myself interested in getting a pair...

post #200 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimoo View Post

 

 

Which one more fun?

The K167 for sure.

Maybe fun has more to do with what you are listening to instead of the headphone?  There are times when I have my SRH940 on and I'm just smiling while listening to music.  I hope no one saw that.

post #201 of 1488
dear akg

i want to buy a pair of k167 tiesto headphones . i am hoping they will sell for around $167.00 on amazon some day . ( k167s for $167 ) the only problem i have with these headphones is the ridiculous looking silver dots on the headband and the silver colored ring around the outside of each earcup . i have not actually heard the k167s but everyone on this thread says they are the best sub $200 'phones currently made . please start making an alternative pair of k167s with an all black exterior . no silver dots on top and an all black earcup . but don't change the sound signature one iota . i listen to mostly ( almost entirely ) classical piano . i'm into bach beethoven mozart chopin rachmaninoff scarlatti schubert concertos and solo works and many more you have not heard about . the acoustic grand piano is notoriously difficult to record in the studio or live on stage . i am told that the only headphone that reproduces a piano sound accurately is the audeze lcd-3 but i don't have two grand laying around to buy the lcd-3 . from what i have read on this very informative thread the k167s have the midrange clarity and bass depth necessary to get a grand piano sound right . this is rare in a sub $200 headphone which is all that i can afford . but please start offering the k167 in an all black edition . also drop the tiesto name -- i am sure mr tiesto is a fine person but i do not enjoy the same music he does . just name the alternative edition the k167b ( b for black ) . thanks for listening .

doggrell3000
new york ny
Edited by doggrell3000 - 11/24/12 at 10:15pm
post #202 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

dear akg
i want to buy a pair of k167 tiesto headphones . i am hoping they will sell for around $167.00 on amazon some day . ( k167s for $167 ) the only problem i have with these headphones is the ridiculous looking silver dots on the headband and the silver colored ring around the outside of each earcup . i have not actually heard the k167s but everyone on this thread says they are the best sub $200 'phones currently made . please start making an alternative pair of k167s with an all black exterior . no silver dots on top and an all black earcup . but don't change the sound signature one iota . i listen to mostly ( almost entirely ) classical piano . i'm into bach beethoven mozart chopin rachmaninoff scarlatti schubert concertos and solo works and many more you have not heard about . the acoustic grand piano is notoriously difficult to record in the studio or live on stage . i am told that the only headphone that reproduces a piano sound accurately is the audeze lcd-3 but i don't have two grand laying around to buy the lcd-3 . from what i have read on this very informative thread the k167s have the midrange clarity and bass depth necessary to get a grand piano sound right . this is rare in a sub $200 headphone which is all that i can afford . but please start offering the k167 in an all black edition . also drop the tiesto name -- i am sure mr tiesto is a fine person but i do not enjoy the same music he does . just name the alternative edition the k167b ( b for black ) . thanks for listening .
doggrell3000
new york ny

......

 

Sorry - what?confused_face(1).gif

post #203 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

dear akg
i want to buy a pair of k167 tiesto headphones . i am hoping they will sell for around $167.00 on amazon some day . ( k167s for $167 ) the only problem i have with these headphones is the ridiculous looking silver dots on the headband and the silver colored ring around the outside of each earcup . i have not actually heard the k167s but everyone on this thread says they are the best sub $200 'phones currently made . please start making an alternative pair of k167s with an all black exterior . no silver dots on top and an all black earcup . but don't change the sound signature one iota . i listen to mostly ( almost entirely ) classical piano . i'm into bach beethoven mozart chopin rachmaninoff scarlatti schubert concertos and solo works and many more you have not heard about . the acoustic grand piano is notoriously difficult to record in the studio or live on stage . i am told that the only headphone that reproduces a piano sound accurately is the audeze lcd-3 but i don't have two grand laying around to buy the lcd-3 . from what i have read on this very informative thread the k167s have the midrange clarity and bass depth necessary to get a grand piano sound right . this is rare in a sub $200 headphone which is all that i can afford . but please start offering the k167 in an all black edition . also drop the tiesto name -- i am sure mr tiesto is a fine person but i do not enjoy the same music he does . just name the alternative edition the k167b ( b for black ) . thanks for listening .
doggrell3000
new york ny


dear doggrell3000

 

All you need is a can of black spray paint enamel.


PFULMTL

Asakusa, Japan

post #204 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

 

They were not supposed to be, but in fact they are. dweaver even compared them side by side to the Denon D7000s and in several songs/genres they won. They are that good. But the K167's are better in my opinion.

 

 

same price tag?

Apart from technicality, Denon sound quite enjoyable.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinland029 View Post

How do these compare with the K550s? I feel myself interested in getting a pair...

 
 
 

 

 

 

I assume with 50mm driver, K550 sounded big (grand) compared to 40mm K167. But K550 is shy in bass department 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

The K167 for sure.

Maybe fun has more to do with what you are listening to instead of the headphone?  There are times when I have my SRH940 on and I'm just smiling while listening to music.  I hope no one saw that.

 

 

 

The more you go to high end headphone, the more analytical, monitoring performance you get. 

Good for pro (revealing bad recording flaws), bad for regular ears which prefer "hey, that bad recording sound nice" performance.

post #205 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

snap

 

Why is the looks and the name/who supports the product so important... you are using it for enjoying music man, I'd wear these pink: 

 

 

 

If it had the best sound I have heard. THAT's the spirit, my friend. ;)

post #206 of 1488
dear forum

i did not propose to akg that they do away with the k167 tiesto -- only that they offer a second alternative edition which would be all black and have the exact same sound and price . by the way i really dig the hello kitty phones .

doggrell3000
mew york ny
post #207 of 1488
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSxIgnition View Post

......

Sorry - what?confused_face(1).gif

 

 tongue.gif


Edited by miow - 11/25/12 at 2:52pm
post #208 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

dear forum
i did not propose to akg that they do away with the k167 tiesto -- only that they offer a second alternative edition which would be all black and have the exact same sound and price . by the way i really dig the hello kitty phones .
doggrell3000
mew york ny
Not that. We're just wondering why you posted such a request here, where they won't see it, rather than an email to them.
post #209 of 1488

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

dear forum
i did not propose to akg that they do away with the k167 tiesto -- only that they offer a second alternative edition which would be all black and have the exact same sound and price . by the way i really dig the hello kitty phones .
doggrell3000
mew york ny


I got to do an outside test today, which is just me using them at stores.  yeah...I'm going to paint the earcups black.  They draw too much attention.  One guy just stopped walking down the isle and looked at them.  Maybe people recognize the Tiesto logo?  Or maybe it's the large amount of silver on the earcups.

 

These have friggin awesome isolation.  Just standing in line at the store and I don't hear anyone talking or the intercom.

I thought the cable was going to be a problem, but it is actually the right length if it's connected to your player in your pocket.  I take back what I said about not liking the cable earlier.

 

I've had them playing music nonstop since I got them. I think they are burned in now.  The bass is very deep, and at the same time still very detailed.  Is OK to confess my love to them?  Yeah, now I can say I do really love these headphones. :)

 

(random headphone testing)

I went to the store and just happen to pass by the electronics section.  Tested the K167 against some the Beats line up, Sony XB600, and Skullcandy Hesh, out of curiosity.  The Executive Beats weren't working, so there was the Solo, Mixr, and Studio.  It was no contest against the Solo and Mixr Beats, they sounded really cheap.  The Beats Studio has decent bass, but it's not as clear.   It didn't have the forward sound or fullness of the K167.

The Sony XB600 was just horrible and muddy.  No detail at all haha.

The Skullcandy Hesh is actually not a bad headphone for $60, but very a V shaped sound.  The Hesh was like the DT770 but less bass and slightly less detailed.  I would choose the Hesh over the Beats Mixr and Solo.

 

 

Back home I realize that these headphones have a gap right above the earcups to fit your glasses if your frame is thin.  Don't push them too far back and it's comfortable.  Yet another win with these headphones.

 

1000


Edited by PFULMTL - 11/25/12 at 8:04pm
post #210 of 1488
I will get mine exchanged next week, the shop agreed it was too loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10 View Post

Take a look at the right side, they are not as tight as the left side, maybe I should exchange them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643TML2WCxQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread