Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread - Page 77  

post #1141 of 1488
Well, headphones and sound in general are highly subjective, for me the K167 are excellent out of the box and even better now, and I came from a highly recommended Denon D2000, which I think the K167 beats in every way except comfort maybe smily_headphones1.gif

So, as usual try them first if possible, if not, make sure you can return them, and please do burn them in for at least 24 hours, and then decide.
post #1142 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10 View Post

Well, headphones and sound in general are highly subjective, for me the K167 are excellent out of the box and even better now, and I came from a highly recommended Denon D2000, which I think the K167 beats in every way except comfort maybe smily_headphones1.gif
So, as usual try them first if possible, if not, make sure you can return them, and please do burn them in for at least 24 hours, and then decide.

 

Yeah they are burning on pinknoise as we speak.

I'd rather love cans after a full burn in rather than love at first listen and begin to hate them over time. So *fingers crossed*

post #1143 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromacro View Post

Initial impressions: 

My humble rig: Samsung Series 5 → Centrance Dacport → Meier Corda Headfive

 

Built Quality: 6/10

1. I see what you guys are on about. the Band is connected by three pieces (why the hell not just one?) which looks flimsy and weak when stretched. No question there. 

2. The silver ring is very delicate.and it's prone to get dent marks and chips. I've put them down the wrong way just once and paint is already flaking off and showing tiny dent marks. 

3. I find the ear pads too soft. It's too soft where my ears can feel the plastic cups behind the cushions. But it's not unbearable. A little stiffer would have been spot on. 

4. The top cushion underneath the headband is a bit stiff. Coming from K701 user (which has the same problems), I can see it hurting my scalp after extensive use. 

 

Isolation: 8.5/10

1. Isolation is exceptional. I can't really hear people talk when I wear them. Haven't had the chance to commute with them yet.  

2. However, the sound at normal listening level does leak quite a bit imo, when you're wearing them. Definitely not something I would personally use at a quiet area such as the library. 

 

Sound: (These are initial impressions) 

1. Immediately, you notice good clarity, a tight bass, and a decent sound stage. So far so good right? However, after just a while I found them, in a nuttshell, boring and unnatural. I'm not gonna sugarcoat things even if I paid my own money. The bass goes quite deep and are very tight (quick). The clarity is quite good but the highs are at the verge of being sibilant (at least to my ears). But what really annoyed me is that the mids sound quite recessed, and ultimately, the overall sound signature is just not natural. This is my first day and it's quite an early impression so don't take my words too literally, but so far, these aren't my cup of tea. I did feel the same way with my K701 before I fully burned them in, so I'm hoping that things will improve over time.

 

On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you think they leak? I ride the train/bus alot and I really don't like it when other people can hear my music.

post #1144 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide174 View Post

 

On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you think they leak? I ride the train/bus alot and I really don't like it when other people can hear my music.

 

That really depends. If it's bass heavy and you like to listen to pretty high volume then it does leak a little. At normal listening level it should be fine. 

Even at pretty high volume it shouldn't be much of a problem commuting. 

post #1145 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromacro View Post

 

That really depends. If it's bass heavy and you like to listen to pretty high volume then it does leak a little. At normal listening level it should be fine. 

Even at pretty high volume it shouldn't be much of a problem commuting. 

Okay, good. Just ordered these for $300 and you scared me with your initial impressions :p

post #1146 of 1488

Much of what I am reading about the K167 is really building my anticipation for the K267 as I think they should significantly improve on the shortcomings I have read about the K167 such as build quality and sub-bass extension, plus I imagine overall SQ will be improved.  Since the K267 has been advertised on several sites around $300 already, it is definitely worth the additional investment to wait for them if budget allows IMO.
 

post #1147 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Much of what I am reading about the K167 is really building my anticipation for the K267 as I think they should significantly improve on the shortcomings I have read about the K167 such as build quality and sub-bass extension, plus I imagine overall SQ will be improved.  Since the K267 has been advertised on several sites around $300 already, it is definitely worth the additional investment to wait for them if budget allows IMO.
 

The K267 can be bought for $300? I'm guessing you live in the states? 

The K267's cheapest price in Sweden is $500+

post #1148 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide174 View Post

The K267 can be bought for $300? I'm guessing you live in the states? 

The K267's cheapest price in Sweden is $500+


WOW, yes, $300 in the states.

post #1149 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


WOW, yes, $300 in the states.

Funny, that's what I payed for the K167 :D

post #1150 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromacro View Post

Sound: (These are initial impressions) 

1. Immediately, you notice good clarity, a tight bass, and a decent sound stage. So far so good right? However, after just a while I found them, in a nuttshell, boring and unnatural. I'm not gonna sugarcoat things even if I paid my own money. The bass goes quite deep and are very tight (quick). The clarity is quite good but the highs are at the verge of being sibilant (at least to my ears). But what really annoyed me is that the mids sound quite recessed, and ultimately, the overall sound signature is just not natural. This is my first day and it's quite an early impression so don't take my words too literally, but so far, these aren't my cup of tea. I did feel the same way with my K701 before I fully burned them in, so I'm hoping that things will improve over time.

 

If you EQ the mids a bit, they will turn in one of the best mids/vocal reproduction I've heard. But they need a bit of EQ. Everyhting else is just perfect to my ears. Bass and treble are delicous  - not EQ'ed, just as they are. Regarding sibilance, these have 0 sibilance, maybe a result of burn-in, not quite sure, since the only difference I've found after burn-in was more mid-bass.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide174 View Post

Funny, that's what I payed for the K167 :D

 

Yeah, thats an insult. Maybe I get the K267's some day from the USA. Even with customs duties they will be cheaper.


Edited by miow - 12/19/12 at 5:55am
post #1151 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromacro View Post

Initial impressions: 
My humble rig: Samsung Series 5 → Centrance Dacport → Meier Corda Headfive

Built Quality: 6/10
1. I see what you guys are on about. the Band is connected by three pieces (why the hell not just one?) which looks flimsy and weak when stretched. No question there. 
2. The silver ring is very delicate.and it's prone to get dent marks and chips. I've put them down the wrong way just once and paint is already flaking off and showing tiny dent marks. 
3. I find the ear pads too soft. It's too soft where my ears can feel the plastic cups behind the cushions. But it's not unbearable. A little stiffer would have been spot on. 
4. The top cushion underneath the headband is a bit stiff. Coming from K701 user (which has the same problems), I can see it hurting my scalp after extensive use. 

Isolation: 8.5/10
1. Isolation is exceptional. I can't really hear people talk when I wear them. Haven't had the chance to commute with them yet.  
2. However, the sound at normal listening level does leak quite a bit imo, when you're wearing them. Definitely not something I would personally use at a quiet area such as the library. 

Sound: (These are initial impressions) 
1. Immediately, you notice good clarity, a tight bass, and a decent sound stage. So far so good right? However, after just a while I found them, in a nuttshell, boring and unnatural. I'm not gonna sugarcoat things even if I paid my own money. The bass goes quite deep and are very tight (quick). The clarity is quite good but the highs are at the verge of being sibilant (at least to my ears). But what really annoyed me is that the mids sound quite recessed, and ultimately, the overall sound signature is just not natural. This is my first day and it's quite an early impression so don't take my words too literally, but so far, these aren't my cup of tea. I did feel the same way with my K701 before I fully burned them in, so I'm hoping that things will improve over time.

Your impressions match mine and did not change, which is why I ended up selling them. While they are detailed and balanced, timbre/decay/realism was too inaccurate to my ears. YMMV.
post #1152 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post

 

If you EQ the mids a bit, they will turn in one of the best mids/vocal reproduction I've heard. But they need a bit of EQ. Everyhting else is just perfect to my ears. Bass and treble are delicous  - not EQ'ed, just as they are. Regarding sibilance, these have 0 sibilance, maybe a result of burn-in, not quite sure, since the only difference I've found after burn-in was more mid-bass.

 

 

 

Yeah, thats an insult. Maybe I get the K267's some day from the USA. Even with customs duties they will be cheaper.

Yeah, I checked in ebay and I can probably get it for $210 with shipping. I'll save about $90 but the warranty policy in most of the stores here in Sweden are great. If my headphone were to break, I'd immediately get a replacement (unless it's too obvious I did something to break it).

post #1153 of 1488
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


Your impressions match mine and did not change, which is why I ended up selling them. While they are detailed and balanced, timbre/decay/realism was too inaccurate to my ears. YMMV.

 

Thats really strange. To my ears they have one of the most accurate timbre/realism I've heard and I have had DENON D5000, Westone 3, UM3X, SM3, etc, etc. As I said they just need a bit of EQ in the mids as they're a bit recessed, but EQ fix that issue completely.

post #1154 of 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


Your impressions match mine and did not change, which is why I ended up selling them. While they are detailed and balanced, timbre/decay/realism was too inaccurate to my ears. YMMV.


I have heard that "artificial" sounding highs are a characteristic of AKG headphones in general.  Have you found that to be the case?

post #1155 of 1488
Thread Starter 

The highs are the most natural I have ever heard, even better than UM3X and SM3. But this is just my opinion and mines have had at least 150 hours burn-in. "Artificial" highs are definitely not the case here IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread