I went through a similar situation where my 12 year old nephew asked for my opinion about the Beats because that's what he's asking his parents for for Christmas, I gave him my opinion of the two that I've had experience with, Solo & Studio. (Solo is a complete waste of money & Studio is decent but not for the price.) It didn't sway his opinion a bit. Still wanted the Solos. That is until we were at Best Buy. I asked if he had ever listened to them and he said no. I got him to demo them and he made a face when he heard the Solos. Definitely did not like the muddiness of everything so now he's looking at something else. I did catch him eyeballing the Soul SL150s. Quick impression wasn't too bad, at least it wasn't a sloggy mess like the Beats. He hasn't heard my m80s yet tho, maybe that'll change his mind again.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeats by Dr. Dre MIXR Black Over-Ear Headphonetagged by System, 11/15/12
- productBeyerdynamic HS 600 DANR EXECUTIVE Aviation Headsettagged by System, 11/15/12
- productMonster Diamond Tears On-Ear Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 11/15/12
- productMonster® Diesel Vektr On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Can someone please bless me with the news of a possible upcoming Black Friday deal for a very... Last post on 11/18/14 at 1:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- v moda m100 Last post on 9/15/14 at 12:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio360.org- Review: V-MODA XS Last post on 7/29/14 at 11:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for New Over-Ears Last post on 6/17/14 at 8:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The V-moda V80 is so wobbly! Last post on 7/2/14 at 7:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda - Page 5post #61 of 20611/19/12 at 1:19pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 20611/19/12 at 2:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by gee money
Here's my story on this...
Christmas time last year, my 13 year old niece said she wanted a pair Dre Beats. Despite my efforts to convince her mother otherwise, she basically said that while she believed in what I was saying in terms of better headphones for the price, or even cheaper for the price, it would not make her (my niece) happy unless she got the Beats. She wanted them probably for the same reasons that your 11 year old brother wants them now. So on Christmas morning she got the Beats and I've never seen her happier. Her happiness made my family and I happy. That's what's important. She's never going to become an audiophile no matter how many times I try to convince her about better sounding HPs. So it's better to let her be happy with the beats.
Your brother is 11 years old. Get him the Beats and make him happy. Assuming you both live under the same roof, you have plenty of time to teach him about audiophile quality HPs and equipment.
Am I really the only person on Earth that find this deeply disturbing?
You're actually raising your child to be materialistic, a blind consumer an a mindless capitalist. And you're happy about it. What will it be when she's 18, a brand new Camaro? And of course that'll make her as happy as she's ever been.post #63 of 20611/19/12 at 2:37pmQuote:Originally Posted by KimLaroux
Am I really the only person on Earth that find this deeply disturbing?
You're actually raising your child to be materialistic, a blind consumer an a mindless capitalist. And you're happy about it. What will it be when she's 18, a brand new Camaro? And of course that'll make her as happy as she's ever been.
Comparing Beats to a Camaro? Thats a HUGE price difference..post #64 of 20611/19/12 at 3:04pm
By the age of 18 it won't be...
Not always getting what you want is sometimes better than always getting what you want.post #65 of 20611/19/12 at 3:08pmQuote:
I would never spend so much on a car. Atleast I hope I don'tpost #66 of 20611/19/12 at 3:10pm
Hey Kim, if I bought you a brand new camero you'd be happy too. "Materialism be damned!! I got me a new car!!!"
This isn't about your happiness on Christmas but the happiness you create by giving joy to others through gift giving. Folks like my niece and the OP's 11 year old brother don't give a damn about audio quality. They are choosing style over substance. That's no secret. So yes, we can try to educate our siblings and relatives on the merits of having quality headphones/audio gear. Hopefully some will listen.
But when X-Mas or birthday time comes around, and said child has their heart set on owning a pair of beats or some other popular brand name that they have repeated said they wanted no matter how many times you tried to convince them otherwise. If you don't mind paying the money, you're better off just getting them what they want. To see her grinning from ear to ear was more than enough to say getting her the beats despite what I think was okay. Sorry folks but its not the end of the world if the kid wants beats.post #67 of 20611/19/12 at 3:14pmpost #68 of 20611/19/12 at 3:15pmpost #69 of 20611/19/12 at 5:17pmpost #70 of 20611/19/12 at 5:19pmQuote:
LOL and your kid probably will like itpost #71 of 20611/19/12 at 5:37pmpost #72 of 20611/19/12 at 5:39pmpost #73 of 20611/19/12 at 5:42pmpost #74 of 20611/19/12 at 5:48pm
- Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › hifiman he-500 17 seconds ago
- › Q Cable Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › JDS Labs Element 2 minutes ago
- › Rank the most accurate headphones you've heard. 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Will a separate sound card make a noticable difference? 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 3 minutes ago
- › Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Graham Slee Lautus USB Cable by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by Chiek
- › Astell & Kern AK100 Mastering Quality Sound (MQS) Portable... by Tail
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by tyco
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by kite7
- › Flare Audio R2Pro Earphones by dnun8086
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by Chiek
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2