I know where this guy is coming from. All the retarded freshman think they are so cool the first day of school throwing around "swag" and "yolo" and their beats. And then us seniors label them as retards and tell them that their beats suck.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeats by Dr. Dre MIXR Black Over-Ear Headphonetagged by System, 11/15/12
- productBeyerdynamic HS 600 DANR EXECUTIVE Aviation Headsettagged by System, 11/15/12
- productMonster Diamond Tears On-Ear Headphones, Blacktagged by System, 11/15/12
- productMonster® Diesel Vektr On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- How is the V Moda M80 / M100 with rock and rap? Last post on 2/19/14 at 2:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How is the V Moda M80 / M100 with rock and rap? Last post on 2/20/14 at 9:05am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need Help to choose closed headphones for my wife. Last post on 1/23/14 at 1:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser vs V Moda (Brands) Last post on 1/1/14 at 12:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- FiiO's New PCOCC-A Cables - Impressions, Reviews, Discussion Last post on 2/6/14 at 7:28pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal... - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 20611/20/12 at 6:33pmQuote:
I'm a senior as well, and I don't take my cheap thrills off of making fun of somebody's personal and financial decisions (the Beats thing, not the other part). There isn't a need for constant affirmation that your "tastes" are more developed through demeaning and belittling others. What they do, with their time and money, shouldn't affect you at all if you choose to not let it.Quote:
Okay, getting really OT now.post #108 of 20611/20/12 at 6:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by TwinQY
I'm a senior as well, and I don't take my cheap thrills off of making fun of somebody's personal and financial decisions (the Beats thing, not the other part). There isn't a need for constant affirmation that your "tastes" are more developed through demeaning and belittling others. What they do, with their time and money, shouldn't affect you at all if you choose to not let it.
Okay, getting really OT now.
Im simply trying to get rid of the common myth among adults that beats are for "cool" kids. If your kids are asking for beats, their clueless and will either
a) get robbed of them
b) get made fun
At least that's how I've seen it first-hand.post #109 of 20611/20/12 at 6:51pmpost #110 of 20611/20/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
No adult that I know of think the Beats as cool, or even notice them at all. And besides, most people here already have an informed opinion regarding the Beats, so there really isn't a myth. Not like you can just walk up to everyone on the street and yell at them that Beats aren't any good - I'd suspect you'd get a good beating (see what I did there?) from a lot of these people anyways. Just let it go. This isn't exactly the most important cause in the world. Would you rather prevent global warming, solve world hunger, or yell at people to not buy Beats?post #111 of 20611/20/12 at 7:01pm
I don't think it is so much about making OP's brother into an audiophile (even if that would be nice) so much as exercising an ability, as an older brother, to influence and educate a younger brother about making informed decisions. Besides our shared love for music, I expect many, if not most, of us on this forum found our way onto head-fi in a pursuit for information. Information that we use to make (hopefully) informed and solid purchasing choices tailored to our own individual preferences.
Sure, I can see why it is easy to just cave in and chalk it up to, "it is Christmas, why not?"
But, conversely, why not put in the extra effort? If he can get his younger brother to understand all that and still persists on Beats, then at least he might have learned something from the whole ordeal. At that point, if you are still willing to pay for Beats then I say knock yourself out.post #112 of 20611/20/12 at 7:23pmQuote:
the irony about this comment is that the actual beats from Dr Dre actually cost around 10 dollars to manufacture (the material, drivers, wires etc, does not include tooling). Although I cant give a 100% accurate source to this information, i did get to speak to the lead designer of the headphones (the design company that design the beats is Ammunition Group based in SF) and that was his pricing estimate.
Honestly you have to drive it into your brother that the Beats are nothing more than a fad. Their over-saturation in the market has definitely driven down its value as an iconic fashion accessory. He wants them more as a status symbol in school above anything else (remember these are 11 year olds) and i would not be surprised if he gets it confiscated, stolen, or broken after several weeks of owning them. And if he doesn't, the moment people lose interest in him having them, he will most probably stop wearing them and eventually it just becomes another neglected toy.
Yes i understand it is Christmas and it is important to get what they want, but as the spender (i assume you are the one buying him the present) you should weigh the pros and cons of getting him something with ephemeral value (relative to him).
And since I haven't answered your actually question, ill throw in a recommendation : AKG 550. They have a similar price tag, the design of them are beautiful and modern, and the bass outdoes the Beats any day. They are more durable, retain value for longer, wont become a "fashion tred" and therefore will still be wearable in 10 years.
I also think it will be much more excited and full-filling for a 11 year old to be able to show off the bass capabilities, be different from everyone else, and stand on an higher plane of sophistication from other 11 year old beat owners
Thats my 2cents :) my bad for the rantpost #113 of 20611/20/12 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by LinkProQuote:Originally Posted by JuanseAmador
Guys, I'm 13, and I totally HATE Beats. Even before I even knew what audiophiles were. I think that if you show him this, coming from someone his age, he will understand.
Swag really means "Secretly We Are Gay" I'm serious. Swag is a word used by douchebags and morons, so is YOLO. Tell him that if he wants to be a *********
(no offense) he should buy Beats, and put his pants on his knees and shout YOLO everywhere, etc.
Please buy him any other headphone and make him listen and I'm sure he will see, I've convinced many friends, One of them will buy Bowers & Wilkins and the other one ATH-M50's
Tell him this exact words: "Bro, headphones are made for listening not for fashion and looks. If you love music you can wear a clothes hangers as headphones and not give ****."
Nice to see a kid who has not been completely brainwashed yet.
But people like you and us are just the minority. We are surrounded by people who spend all day updating facebook statuses, think Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj have incredible singing talent and *SWAG*, whatever they call it, and will do all they can to be like their idols. That includes buying Beats. Especially at the early teenage most if not all kids are very rebellious in their ways of thinking and will not give a ^#(%#( about what adults tell them. Beats give them the *cool* bonus points, that is when they go to school everyone thinks they are the coolest swaggest guys and gals ever. Some people are fine with being the uncool kid, some are not, Beats are made with the latter in mind, and they did a good job. So we can't really blame a 11 year old kid for liking Beats, he's too young to sway from marketing lies and appreciate good sound, nor does he have trained ears to do so. So it depends a lot on OP whether his bro can become an audiophile or not I started this hobby at around 16, if Beats had been around at that time I'd probably have fallen into the same trap.
Not bragging or anything but I'm not saying this because I hate the Popular kids or anything, because I am in that group. I mean I don't say swag and that stuff, not even one of my friends does either.post #114 of 20611/20/12 at 9:29pmpost #115 of 20611/20/12 at 9:39pm
I may be seeing things, but the V-Moda headphones allow inter-changeable "shields" per chance? I'm sure you can even custom order them with a logo of your choice? That's gotta count for something.post #116 of 20611/21/12 at 6:14pmQuote:
Exactly, his little brother would love them and he would never even know :Ppost #117 of 20611/21/12 at 6:58pm
U GOTTA GET DA BEETZ YO #SWAG #YOLO #9GAG
But seriously, try tempting the kid with DJ headphones. They're generally flashy and he gets to brag about how he has the same headphones as Tiesto or who ever is popular nowadays.
I swear I've posted in this thread but I can't find my post
Edited by Parall3l - 11/21/12 at 7:09pmpost #118 of 20611/21/12 at 6:59pmpost #119 of 20611/21/12 at 7:34pm
Hm this was closed earlier.. guess not?
Anyway - Not sure how this was changed into a thread about secret sexual passcodes..
Let me make it relevant:
Eh Bros dem beyers be earswaggin mah head Yo.
Did I do it right?post #120 of 20611/21/12 at 10:10pm
Get the boy the Beats. Perhaps the Mixr since they're supposed to be better than the others. I'm not saying Beats aren't terrible but its where most inevitably start. How are you going to appreciate better audio quality dollar for dollar if you haven't heard something not so good... The point is, he's only 11. He most likely doesn't care about how they sound, he wants to be popular. Eventually he'll realize theres better stuff out there and buy that instead
- Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M* dacs, New amp section. Coming... 2 minutes ago
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ Appreciation thread. Opinions, reviews,... 6 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › [Appreciation] Westone UM PRO Series 7 minutes ago
- › Whiplash Audio 7 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude