Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › How do you guys stay awake while listening to music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you guys stay awake while listening to music?

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 

When I come home from work I take a shower, eat dinner, and then usually proceed to listen to music with my headphones. My problem is that I usually fall asleep while listening. It doesn't matter that my preferred sound signature is neutral, or that my music is usually aggressive. I can fall asleep listening to aggressive metal music at about 75-80db average on my Q701. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to stay awake for my music, not fall asleep half way through an album.    

post #2 of 61

not to be funny...

 

you have a few solutions:

 

1, do physical activity while you listen (but you will need a portable setup)

 

2, re-adjust your sleeping habits so that you are less tired when you are sitting still

 

3, do something while listening like browse the internet, read, draw

 

4, find a different time of day to listen (if you can)

post #3 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

not to be funny...

 

you have a few solutions:

 

1, do physical activity while you listen (but you will need a portable setup)

 

2, re-adjust your sleeping habits so that you are less tired when you are sitting still

 

3, do something while listening like browse the internet, read, draw

 

4, find a different time of day to listen (if you can)

 

1. nah, I do enough physical activity at work

 

2. i usually sleep anywhere from 6-8 hrs a night. usually about 11-12 at night to 7:30 am

 

3. Yea, i sometimes sit here and browse head-fi while listening, but of course that is distracting from the actual music listening

 

4. on work days, the only time i have to myself is nights, i'm up for work at 7:30 am, and get home at 6 pm. on weekends i can listen during the day, but sometimes i still find myself getting real tired when i just sit and listen to music.

 

I dont drink anything with caffeine, no coffee or soda at all. I eat 3 meals a day and snack in between meals. my diet could be better, but i doubt that will help all that much with this "issue".

post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

 

1. nah, I do enough physical activity at work

 

2. i usually sleep anywhere from 6-8 hrs a night. usually about 11-12 at night to 7:30 am

 

3. Yea, i sometimes sit here and browse head-fi while listening, but of course that is distracting from the actual music listening

 

4. on work days, the only time i have to myself is nights, i'm up for work at 7:30 am, and get home at 6 pm. on weekends i can listen during the day, but sometimes i still find myself getting real tired when i just sit and listen to music.

 

I dont drink anything with caffeine, no coffee or soda at all. I eat 3 meals a day and snack in between meals. my diet could be better, but i doubt that will help all that much with this "issue".

sounds like you might just be overworked.  maybe its a blessing in disguise that music helps you in your slumbers

post #5 of 61

I don't see any problems. You come home, put some music on and relax. So you fall asleep...because you're enjoying yourself so damn much, right?

 

What I like to do is mute the T.V. and listen. Usually sports, but it could be anything. I also do this with the show Chopped.

I think if you try to wire yourself with energy drink and soda, you'd be detracting from the enjoyment just as much.

 

Another option could be searching out new material.

post #6 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I don't see any problems. You come home, put some music on and relax. So you fall asleep...because you're enjoying yourself so damn much, right?

 

What I like to do is mute the T.V. and listen. Usually sports, but it could be anything. I also do this with the show Chopped.

I think if you try to wire yourself with energy drink and soda, you'd be detracting from the enjoyment just as much.

 

Another option could be searching out new material.

When there is baseball on TV I will watch that while listening to music on my headphones, no baseball on till April now though. I do also sometimes look for new music while listening to music, its more productive than browsing head-fi for new headphones when I really don't need any. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMahler View Post

sounds like you might just be overworked.  maybe its a blessing in disguise that music helps you in your slumbers

Very true. I have realized that, and I know this thread may be silly. I find the best way to listen to music is in a quiet, relaxed state, sometimes I even close my eyes purposely, just to listen closer, but then I usually quickly fall asleep. I just wish I could recline on my couch in the dark and listen for hours, but I just cant stay awake. 

post #7 of 61

I think it's an interesting question, honestly. I wonder how many of us do fall asleep was listening to music.

Personally, I can't unless I am lying down. Most of the time I will log 4-8 hours of listening time during the day.

And anywhere from 10-12 hours in the evening. I'm a student so a vast majority of that is background noise of sorts.

 

Then again, maybe it's the discomfort of LCD-3's. Just enjoy the music for as long you can. biggrin.gif

post #8 of 61

It would be stranger if you wouldn´t fall asleep. Beside from making sure you don´t go to bed to late take a power nap after dinner. 15-20 minutes perhaps. Not more then 30 minutes then it can be hellish to get going again if you manage to enter a deep sleeping face. you can practise this though. This all depends how many h of night sleep you get and how physical your work is if you go to bed early enough you may not need it.

post #9 of 61
Thread Starter 

Yea, I bet a good percentage of people here fall asleep with headphones on quite often. Right now it's only 10 pm on the east coast, i'm only 27 so I'm not an old man, but if I laid back and just listened I could fall asleep right now. I'd say i'm a little tired right now, but I'm not exhausted. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I think it's an interesting question, honestly. I wonder how many of us do fall asleep was listening to music.

Personally, I can't unless I am lying down. Most of the time I will log 4-8 hours of listening time during the day.

And anywhere from 10-12 hours in the evening. I'm a student so a vast majority of that is background noise of sorts.

 

Then again, maybe it's the discomfort of LCD-3's. Just enjoy the music for as long you can. biggrin.gif

post #10 of 61

I love that you can fall asleep listening to hardcore! Personally i find falling asleep to music to be one of life’s pleasures.

 

 

post #11 of 61
Thread Starter 

I don't like it though. I could understand if i was listening to ambient, which I sometimes do, but I don't want to fall asleep while listening to stuff like Opeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpking View Post

I love that you can fall asleep listening to hardcore! Personally i find falling asleep to music to be one of life’s pleasures.

 

 

post #12 of 61
I would usually sit back and enjoy a song or two then go back to my computer to do something else with the music on and Repeat... Works well for me, I only sleep around 5hours a day
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to stay awake for my music, not fall asleep half way through an album.    

 

Ha! You're listening to the wrong kind of music! My music engages me. I don't background it unless I intend to pick background music to play.

post #14 of 61

Wish I could fall asleep listening to music!  These days most of my listening is during work when I need to concentrate and maybe an albums worth for quiet time at home.

post #15 of 61

I fall asleep often when on the bedroom rig and a pair of warm headphones.    night, night..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › How do you guys stay awake while listening to music?