Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Grado
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for Grado - Page 2

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Grados definitely benefit from an amp, but not in the way many think:

 

 

Well, I wouldn't put it in such a general way. Here are many people who don't agree with you, including me. I cannot say anything about the SR xx Grados and, as you can easily check, I didn't.

But I can prove that my Grados don't benefit. There is very little difference between the iPod sound and a Black Cube Linear, who delivers all the current that you ask for. An OTL tube amp like the earmax, who should be bad delivering current, is also not worth its money, if you run Grados RS-x.

That may not be true for the SR series, though.

 

Grados own amp is even battery powerd. If you open it, you find cheap stuff, hardly more than you will find in an iPod. This may mean that even Grado itself doesn't believe what you seem to know.


Edited by mironathetin - 11/21/12 at 7:47am
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mironathetin View Post

 

Well, I wouldn't put it in such a general way. Here are many people who don't agree with you, including me. I cannot say anything about the SR xx Grados and, as you can easily check, I didn't.

But I can prove that my Grados don't benefit. There is very little difference between the iPod sound and a Black Cube Linear, who delivers all the current that you ask for. An OTL tube amp like the earmax, who should be bad delivering current, is also not worth its money, if you run Grados RS-x.

That may not be true for the SR series, though.

 

Grados own amp is even battery powerd. If you open it, you find cheap stuff, hardly more than you will find in an iPod. This may mean that even Grado itself doesn't believe what you seem to know.

I disagree and yes, that's my opinion - no different than your "proof," except that I didn't say it that way.  RS-series and HP-series definitely improve - you simply haven't tried the right amp.  You forgot the part about over-damping.  And never once did I imply that an OTL amp was an option.  Neither will I defend the RA1, except that Grado spent a huge investment in finding an opamp specifically tailored to the Grado "sound."

 

There are people in the DIY arena who've spent years tweaking amps for Grados, specifically around the RS-1.  Just as another example, there are a number in the Grado "community" who've praised the combination of Grados with Mapletree tube amps for years.

 

Do I seem to know something about this business after almost 7 years of building amps and listening to Grados (and more than 40 years of listening to headphones)?  Maybe ... maybe not.  However, my stating that Grados will improve with the right amp is a lot different than stating an amp is absolutely not needed or that it can be proven.wink.gif

post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb View Post

Grados definitely benefit from an amp, but not in the way many think:

 

1) Current is what Grados need most.  Not all headphone amps are set up that way.  Most are developed to provide voltage gain.  This goes back many years to when Apheard first designed and built the A47 - essentially a buffered CMoy (more current).  (Chu Moy first designed and built the CMoy to provide voltage gain to Sennheisers.)

 

The SR-80 has been noted for many years as improving in bass response when paired with a good, current-pulse-capable amp.

 

Why do people separate current from voltage like they are not interrelated?  Voltage and current are two different things, but they are interdependent on one another. V x I = P

 

If an amp outputs enough power to drive a pair of Grados, then it will output enough voltage and current.

I've heard many stories about people driving Grados with iPods, etc (I've tried it myself).   So a reasonable assumption is that they do not need a lot of power, or current or voltage. Their efficiency numbers support this.

 

BTW, in my very limited exposure to RS-2i I personally find that they do sound better out of a good amp than they do out of an iPod. Just my opinion, I can't really say how much better an amp you really need.


Edited by Chris J - 11/21/12 at 10:03am
post #19 of 51

Hi Tomb,

 

Do you have some suggestion I can go for audition? I am familiar with RA-1, just want to see what other good AMP can do to Grado. I have MS-1i, MS2i and I will be aiming to go for MS-Pro for sure in future.

 

What is your opinion on the RA-1 sound regardless of it's price and component used.

 

Cheers.

post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfWax View Post

 

I will be going after the same combo in a couple months, as soon as I can get my hands on some RS1i's. I was leaning heavily towards an Asgard, but I've decided to get the LD1+, always wanted a tube amp. I ordered 3 samples of the OPA2107 off TI's website, using my school email, hopefully there's no problem with it. The first tube's I'm going to try will the Voshkods as well.

sounds like the set up i have. minus the differences in cans. also, the e10 actually does sound better than the ld1+. in some circumstances. the e10 is just super duper clean sounding. real upfront and clear. the ld1+ kicks ass but it adds a nice grime to the guitars. which i love, especially with the music i listen to....but it's not for everyone/every genre.

post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mironathetin View Post

 

Well, I wouldn't put it in such a general way. Here are many people who don't agree with you, including me. I cannot say anything about the SR xx Grados and, as you can easily check, I didn't.

But I can prove that my Grados don't benefit. There is very little difference between the iPod sound and a Black Cube Linear, who delivers all the current that you ask for. An OTL tube amp like the earmax, who should be bad delivering current, is also not worth its money, if you run Grados RS-x.

That may not be true for the SR series, though.

 

Grados own amp is even battery powerd. If you open it, you find cheap stuff, hardly more than you will find in an iPod. This may mean that even Grado itself doesn't believe what you seem to know.

or that they enjoy making stacks, based off of a persons lack of research. what you're so adamant against is in complete disagreement with what i'm hearing. and what i've heard, for literally years now. it's your opinion or preference or lack of paying attention to detail. but i really cannot listen to my cans (or the modded SR's i had) without some sort of amplification. the lack of it became immediate when i would start listening to music and i would relocate myself to a place. close....to my amp.

post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse View Post

Hi Tomb,

 

Do you have some suggestion I can go for audition? I am familiar with RA-1, just want to see what other good AMP can do to Grado. I have MS-1i, MS2i and I will be aiming to go for MS-Pro for sure in future.

 

What is your opinion on the RA-1 sound regardless of it's price and component used.

 

Cheers.

don't buy that

post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvins View Post

don't buy that

 

Don't buy MS-pro or RA-1?

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse View Post

 

Don't buy MS-pro or RA-1?

I don't like either rolleyes.gif

post #25 of 51

Personally id buy an O2 amp and use an EQ for bass boost. It's the last amplifier you'll ever need. Its completely transparent and rivals $1000 amplifiers.

 

If your too lazy to deal with EQ, id get the C421 (but im a bit biased because I'm a huge fan of JDS labs, as their lead designer is actually an electrical engineer vs x-companies "design by ear")

 

I hear great things about the Fiio e7 and e17

post #26 of 51
Anyone ever try Grados with the Matrix M Stage?
post #27 of 51

My vote for favourite Grado amp goes to the MAD Ear+HD...simply magical pairing (especially with the RS1/RS1i).

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Anyone ever try Grados with the Matrix M Stage?

The one i had was -very- similar to the O2. I couldn't tell them apart, so I sold the one that was bulky and worth more money and didn't have posted measurements.

post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

The one i had was -very- similar to the O2. I couldn't tell them apart, so I sold the one that was bulky and worth more money and didn't have posted measurements.

Interesting........the much vaunted O2 sounds the same as the Matrix M Stage!
Say it isn't so!
Sob!redface.gif Sniff!
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Interesting........the much vaunted O2 sounds the same as the Matrix M Stage!
Say it isn't so!
Sob!redface.gif Sniff!

The M-stage is a very good sounding amp to my ears. Who is sobbing? lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp for Grado