Just to preface this - this is an updated/changed version of my last recommendation thread. I have since realized more of what I want in a headphone, and more of what I can do without.
I've been looking around for the past few months to replace/upgrade from my dying/dead Audio Technica ATH-M50's. As a result, and after seeing all the possibilities, I ended up trying the V-MODA M-100's first. As an owner of the new V-MODA Crossfade M-100's, I like the sound, but something keeps giving me headaches. I don't know if it is the clamping force, the bass, or the headband, but after about 40 minutes, I get a headache, and have to take them off.
I love the features of the M-100 (dual plug, detachable cable, folding), but the lack of flat-folding and the headache/comfort issue urge me to continue searching for a new headphone. What I need is listed below...
My needs that MUST be met are - in order from most to least important:
- Similar sound to M50, but better. I want a more aggressive mid-range, "as good" bass, and at least "as good" treble. I listen to everything from Dance, to Rock, to Orchestral, so I need as much detail & clarity in sound as possible while fulfilling the above. In short - I want something natural, but I want it to still have enough bass to make songs 'fun'. I don't want something too analytical.
- COMFORT. Can't stress this enough. As with the M-100, it can sound fun and amazing, but if I can't wear it long, it's pointless.
- 'Good' Build Quality. Metal/High-Quality Plastic are preferred, I don't want squeaking or creaks while wearing them, I also don't want to have to worry about breaking them if I don't baby them.
- 'Good' Portability. Must have detachable cables, or be able to be modded to have detachable cables. (example) Must also be driven well from iPod Touch 5th Generation, and able to be worn around neck, or folded flat if possible.
- No leakage/isolation issues. This varies from headphone to headphone - but if it's as good as the M50's in the regard, I'll be happy.
- Under $400 price.
- If possible, I also want it to look good. Professional rather than "swag"/"teen style". This is optional, and less important than the above.
I am posting this here as well as innerfidelity because I would like the most possible advice on this issue.
I currently have the AKG K267 Tiesto on pre-order at Front-End-Audio, due to it seemingly meeting all the above criteria. I am hoping that it combines the detailed AKG treble/mid-range, with the bass needed for DJ work.
Do other users think this is a good idea, or do you think it may just be another 'basshead' can?
Another headphone I have been looking at is getting an AKG K550 - or simply a white M50 - modified with a detachable cable by The Sound Professionals. Are there any others I should be looking at?
Thank you in advance for all your opinions!
Edited by BRSxIgnition - 11/14/12 at 3:43pm