Since this is my first post, I think I should give a brief introduction about myself and how I got here. I started visiting this site about a year ago when I was searching for a good audiophile grade IEM. Since it was going to be my first set, I did some research and ended up in this site. After a few hours of scouring through the forums, I narrowed down my choices between two IEMs; the Westone UM3x and the Westone 4R.
I ended up buying the Westone UM3x since it's supposedly known as the "Jazz Master". I listen mainly to Jazz, so I made the logical conclusion and bought it. Also, I liked the translucent thing going on the earpieces. The Westone 4R didn't really look attractive in my opinion. So, After visiting the site daily for a year straight, I decided to create an account so I can ask questions that people haven't asked yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to the community sooner or later.
Now onto the point of this thread!
I need some opinions regarding which product I should pick from the products mentioned in the title.
I'll mainly be using my device for :
- Music listening (320kpbs, I don't really use lossless)
- Video playback (the files I usually use are mkv and mp4)
- Internet browsing
- Reading manga (Using the Mango app from the Google Play Store. I am not sure if the App Store has something similar.)
Now onto what I think are some advantages over each device!
The S3's advantages over the iPod Touch :
- It's an Android. Android in my opinion has much more freedom and customizability over iOS.
- I can replace the battery.
- It has an SD card slot.
- It is a phone, so I can use it as an extra means for communication just in case something happens to my S2.
- Dat screen size.
The iPod Touch's advantages over the S3 :
- It's sexier than the S3.
- App Store has more variety and choices over the Google Play Store in my opinion.
- It has Siri. (A minor plus, I don't really find it ground breaking, but it's useful once in a while)
- Build quality is superior over the S3. Again, my opinion.
- Battery life is supposedly excellent, but I can't confirm this since I have insufficient information.
Regarding Value :
I put this little category here because in the place I am currently in right now, prices are crazy. They're sometimes cheaper than U.S. prices, but usually more expensive. Here is the cheapest trusted retail price I could possibly find for the S3.
S3 : Around $500 for the 16GB version. 32 and 64GB versions are unfortunately unavailable in my area, but a 64GB SD card can easily fix that.
Now this is where it gets crazy, these are the prices you can find in an official Apple Store.
iPod Touch : 32GB - Around $400 / 64GB - Around $500
Here are the prices you can find if you dive into the depths of the malls around my area.
32GB - Around $340 / 64GB - Around $440
Note, the retailers of the cheaper prices are legit. They realized that overpricing Apple products ain't a good way to get more profit is what they said to me. Ironically, the prices are still outrageous.
So, which product would I get more value out of based on the said prices above?
I have some questions that weren't really answered when I researched online, so I think it is a good idea to ask them here.
Some questions :
- Which device has better sound quality overall? I heard that the S3 features a Wolfson chip for the international retail version, but how can i confirm if it is that variant? I'll mainly be using my Westone UM3x unamped by the way.
- Between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPod touch, which camera is better?
- Can the iPod Touch support the mkv video format and subtitle files from anime? I watch a ton of anime on my Samsung Galaxy S2 using an app called "MX Player". When I used the stock video on my S2, it says that my file does not have any subtitles, which sucks because I can't understand Japanese. The app supports mkv files and H/W and S/W codec. Does the App Store have a similar app?
- Which device has longer battery life?
- What is this "Voodoo" thing you speak of? Does it really make sound quality better? Does it require root? Also, Is there something like this for Apple products?
- Does the S3 heat up a lot? I have had many bad experiences with my S2 regarding heat issues. Whenever I go out somewhere hot and humid like the beach, the bloody thing ends up being cooked in my pocket and burns through my jeans! Also, whenever I play a game or watch a video for a long time under hot weather, the device gets really hot and is a pain to hold! Does the S3 have the same issue?
Thanks for reading and hopefully replying to my questions!