I'm new to the headphone scene and the amount of info out there is really overwhelming, I've got a pair of 683 B&W speakers along with an HSU sub that I love to listen to, but since I live in an apartment I must find a good alternative for listening to music at night.
At first I was set on getting a pair of Grado RS80i, but then I read some mixed reviews about how they're not accurate and they mostly just fit rock music which kind of put me off. Then I saw the amazing 50+ top headphones thread and saw these two being within my price range:
Since I always like to hear as much input about something from different people as possible before going ahead and make the purchase, mainly because I live in a place with hardly any real headphones to try out myself so your input is extra valuable to me, I'd appreciate it if you guys would share your thoughts about those headphones or suggest others that I should consider.
Some more info:
- I'll be using the headphones with my RX-V663 Yamaha receiver, based on what I read the headphone amp section is pretty decent. My friend will get the same headphone I will though but he only has his PC's soundcard to use for now, we'll both consider purchasing a headphone amp in the future for sure specially if it's highly recommended.
- DAC isn't an important factor to me for now since so far I can't hear a real difference between different types of DACs.
- I listen to most music genres, except a few such as rap, here's what I listen to the most:
* Heavy metal
* Progressive Metal
* Movie and video game sound tracks by people like Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, Nobuo uematsu..etc I LOVE those. Lots of violin, piano, electronic music, orchestral pieces..etc in those.
- Comfort is very important to me and willing to buy separate ear pads of different materials if they're not hard to come by to add some extra comfort.
- The headphone being good for gaming & movies would be a + but that's not essential, music gets the priority over those.
Any help would be appreciated!