I'm looking for a high-end portable at the moment and these two are the best I could find. I was previously considering the Mad Dog, but I'm afraid it's treble will be too lacking for me. I'm looking for present and engaging guitar and vocals and a treble that is impactful but without sibilance (I love it when snare drums and cymbals have impact). As for the bass, I 'm not a basshead and I don't want a huge amount of bass coloration, but on the other hand, I don't want the music to sound thin and lifeless because of lack of bass. I don't mind the T5p being basslight as long as it doesn't sound thin and lifeless. If I find it too lacking I could always use the bass boost in the Fiio E17. So between these two, which will be best for rock/metal?
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- I think my used Denon D2000s are actually modded! Last post on 3/24/14 at 5:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Just got Fostex th-900 After Two Years Of Wheelin' & Dealin' Last post on 3/19/14 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Why are T5P replacement pads $200? Last post on 3/7/14 at 11:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic TP5 thoughts? Last post on 2/12/14 at 5:49am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic T5P Owner's Club Last post on 2/22/14 at 9:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Signature Pro are better pick for these genres music and they improve well with AMPs help but i will recommend to upgrade the AMPs for better soundquality like JDS Labs C421 or highend ALO MK, RSA, Meir Audio AMPs.
i was choosing between T5p and S-pro as well, and ended up with S-Pro. I have to say that I do like the brightness and the fast response associated with Ultrasone, and i used to own a Pro900. however, the main reason i chose the s-pro was because the t5p was too bland for my taste. Beyerdaynamics are known for their colorless presentation and that seems to show with the t5p. Comparing the two, t5p has the upper hand in its airy highs and soundstage, S-pro has better mids and bass and much quicker response which is great for hiphop, pop, RnB . however, as a previous owner of Pro900, i wish if the S-pro had just a little more bass, then it would be perfect for me. :)
Warning: confusing contrasting opinion incoming.
I vastly prefer my T5p over my Sig Pro for metal. Specifically guitars sound right, whereas they don't on the Sig Pro (at least not to me as a metal guitarist and frequent metal gig attendee). Distorted rhythm guitars just sound MIA on the Sig Pro, and actually I find their treble energy lacking compared to the T5p in contrast to the post above mine (makes itself felt mostly in lead guitar). Not everyone will want to hear guitar the same as me I'm sure, but to my ear metal guitar on the T5p is more engaging than the Sig Pro and by a fair margin. Guitar sound seemed to rate fairly high on the OPs scale of importance, so is worth thinking about. To my ear the Sig Pro does not have an advantage in response speed over the T5p. T5p definitely do not sound thin, bass quantity is less than other headphones certainly, however the quality of the bass is superb. For metal I find it hard to believe that someone would want more bass than the Sig Pro puts out, I think you'd have to be getting into basshead territory to want that...
EDIT: Forgot how I'd described the guitars in metal on the Sig Pros before - saw an older thread where I said that I find them a bit 'polite'. That isn't a quality I want in distorted guitars in the metal I listen to.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 11/19/12 at 1:40am
- Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 10 seconds ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier 16 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 35 seconds ago
- › Charlotte, NC Meet: April 19th 2014 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for an all-around IEM recommendation 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob