I'm looking for a high-end portable at the moment and these two are the best I could find. I was previously considering the Mad Dog, but I'm afraid it's treble will be too lacking for me. I'm looking for present and engaging guitar and vocals and a treble that is impactful but without sibilance (I love it when snare drums and cymbals have impact). As for the bass, I 'm not a basshead and I don't want a huge amount of bass coloration, but on the other hand, I don't want the music to sound thin and lifeless because of lack of bass. I don't mind the T5p being basslight as long as it doesn't sound thin and lifeless. If I find it too lacking I could always use the bass boost in the Fiio E17. So between these two, which will be best for rock/metal?
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- $1000 budget, should I go open or closed? Last post on 1/21/15 at 2:56pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $300.00 to spend on EITHER IEMs or Closed Can over the ear. What do you suggest? Last post on 10/17/14 at 9:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beyerdynamic T5p - Relist Last post on 8/13/14 at 1:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Owned D5000 and T5P. Would K812 or GS1000i be complementation? Last post on 6/19/14 at 7:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Has anyone tried both T1 and T5P driven by HP-A8? Could somebody tell me how they performed under... Last post on 6/18/14 at 1:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Signature Pro are better pick for these genres music and they improve well with AMPs help but i will recommend to upgrade the AMPs for better soundquality like JDS Labs C421 or highend ALO MK, RSA, Meir Audio AMPs.
i was choosing between T5p and S-pro as well, and ended up with S-Pro. I have to say that I do like the brightness and the fast response associated with Ultrasone, and i used to own a Pro900. however, the main reason i chose the s-pro was because the t5p was too bland for my taste. Beyerdaynamics are known for their colorless presentation and that seems to show with the t5p. Comparing the two, t5p has the upper hand in its airy highs and soundstage, S-pro has better mids and bass and much quicker response which is great for hiphop, pop, RnB . however, as a previous owner of Pro900, i wish if the S-pro had just a little more bass, then it would be perfect for me. :)
Warning: confusing contrasting opinion incoming.
I vastly prefer my T5p over my Sig Pro for metal. Specifically guitars sound right, whereas they don't on the Sig Pro (at least not to me as a metal guitarist and frequent metal gig attendee). Distorted rhythm guitars just sound MIA on the Sig Pro, and actually I find their treble energy lacking compared to the T5p in contrast to the post above mine (makes itself felt mostly in lead guitar). Not everyone will want to hear guitar the same as me I'm sure, but to my ear metal guitar on the T5p is more engaging than the Sig Pro and by a fair margin. Guitar sound seemed to rate fairly high on the OPs scale of importance, so is worth thinking about. To my ear the Sig Pro does not have an advantage in response speed over the T5p. T5p definitely do not sound thin, bass quantity is less than other headphones certainly, however the quality of the bass is superb. For metal I find it hard to believe that someone would want more bass than the Sig Pro puts out, I think you'd have to be getting into basshead territory to want that...
EDIT: Forgot how I'd described the guitars in metal on the Sig Pros before - saw an older thread where I said that I find them a bit 'polite'. That isn't a quality I want in distorted guitars in the metal I listen to.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 11/19/12 at 1:40am
- Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
- › Soundsoul S-018 Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 1 minute ago
- › Welcome & Introduction for DC/VA/MD Head-Fiers 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › How loud should bass be on headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › Odd Nichicon Capacitor - Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD 3 minutes ago
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)