I'm looking for a high-end portable at the moment and these two are the best I could find. I was previously considering the Mad Dog, but I'm afraid it's treble will be too lacking for me. I'm looking for present and engaging guitar and vocals and a treble that is impactful but without sibilance (I love it when snare drums and cymbals have impact). As for the bass, I 'm not a basshead and I don't want a huge amount of bass coloration, but on the other hand, I don't want the music to sound thin and lifeless because of lack of bass. I don't mind the T5p being basslight as long as it doesn't sound thin and lifeless. If I find it too lacking I could always use the bass boost in the Fiio E17. So between these two, which will be best for rock/metal?
- productBeyerdynamic T5ptagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Astell & Kern AKT5P Last post on 5/20/15 at 10:17am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 3/20/15 at 11:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $1000 budget, should I go open or closed? Last post on 1/21/15 at 2:56pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $300.00 to spend on EITHER IEMs or Closed Can over the ear. What do you suggest? Last post on 10/17/14 at 9:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Beyerdynamic T5p - Relist Last post on 8/13/14 at 1:45pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/14
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The Signature Pro are better pick for these genres music and they improve well with AMPs help but i will recommend to upgrade the AMPs for better soundquality like JDS Labs C421 or highend ALO MK, RSA, Meir Audio AMPs.
i was choosing between T5p and S-pro as well, and ended up with S-Pro. I have to say that I do like the brightness and the fast response associated with Ultrasone, and i used to own a Pro900. however, the main reason i chose the s-pro was because the t5p was too bland for my taste. Beyerdaynamics are known for their colorless presentation and that seems to show with the t5p. Comparing the two, t5p has the upper hand in its airy highs and soundstage, S-pro has better mids and bass and much quicker response which is great for hiphop, pop, RnB . however, as a previous owner of Pro900, i wish if the S-pro had just a little more bass, then it would be perfect for me. :)
Warning: confusing contrasting opinion incoming.
I vastly prefer my T5p over my Sig Pro for metal. Specifically guitars sound right, whereas they don't on the Sig Pro (at least not to me as a metal guitarist and frequent metal gig attendee). Distorted rhythm guitars just sound MIA on the Sig Pro, and actually I find their treble energy lacking compared to the T5p in contrast to the post above mine (makes itself felt mostly in lead guitar). Not everyone will want to hear guitar the same as me I'm sure, but to my ear metal guitar on the T5p is more engaging than the Sig Pro and by a fair margin. Guitar sound seemed to rate fairly high on the OPs scale of importance, so is worth thinking about. To my ear the Sig Pro does not have an advantage in response speed over the T5p. T5p definitely do not sound thin, bass quantity is less than other headphones certainly, however the quality of the bass is superb. For metal I find it hard to believe that someone would want more bass than the Sig Pro puts out, I think you'd have to be getting into basshead territory to want that...
EDIT: Forgot how I'd described the guitars in metal on the Sig Pros before - saw an older thread where I said that I find them a bit 'polite'. That isn't a quality I want in distorted guitars in the metal I listen to.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 11/19/12 at 1:40am
- Signature Pro vs T5p for heavy metal?
- › Asus Xonar DG[x] question. 1 minute ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity -... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › Seattle Summer Redhook Meet 7/25/2015 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › FIIO OTG Support Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2