Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What would you gift your girlfriend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you gift your girlfriend? - Page 5

post #61 of 104
I skimmed through some of the posts here.

I don't know why some people try to talk people out of the E10 to get the E17. It is a fantastic amp/dac for the price and just a hair more powerful than the E17. Maybe because it doesn't upsample to 192khz? Newsflash, none of your digital music is over 44.1 unless you downloaded it from a "high res" website. This includes CD's.

In any case if I were you. I would get the Vmoda M80 in white for your gal. If you would manage to find a steal like the one they had a couple days ago on amazon for 130 you would be in business.

E10 for you and spend the extra on her. Then just borrow her M80's when you want to hear a headphone that IMO sound better than your M50 anyway tongue.gif
post #62 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post

In any case if I were you. I would get the Vmoda M80 in white for your gal. If you would manage to find a steal like the one they had a couple days ago on amazon for 130 you would be in business.
 

I saw on the crossfade LP for $80 in all colors. Cyber Monday lightning deals. I agree with Doc, white would be the only way to go. 

Looks good, imho. A bit more agressive styling for me, but works allright. 

post #63 of 104
Case and really portable like earbuds or IEMs are definitely going to afford the most use out of the gift!

Impressions to come, I'm trying to build understanding, but the short is that it's QUITE filled-out and extended in every sense, though biasing the tube voltage correctly has a big impact on if the sound is right or fatiguing... It's definitely a whole different ball game! (Or at least, a bigger stadium, the sport's still the same, if you catch my drift)
post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvtm View Post

I saw on the crossfade LP for $80 in all colors. Cyber Monday lightning deals. I agree with Doc, white would be the only way to go. 
Looks good, imho. A bit more agressive styling for me, but works allright. 

May be too late for cyber Monday, maybe not (plus the op isn't from the USA, I think). Deals and sales do happen. I like my Crossfade LP, the sound is of nice quality for a darker and bass-strong signature. Case is awesome, can customize the shields with different colors and finishes if you don't like chrome.

What girl doesn't like fashion accessories? Heck, "I" liked the accessories!
post #65 of 104
Thread Starter 

@mvtm
Always great to hear it from a girl's own voice, but unfortunately she's already admitted she's looking for closed-back cans. She says she doesn't like earphones because they're too intrusive. She uses her stock pair because it's the (poor quality, I believe) sit-on-the-ear-entrance kind, they don't go in or fit in any way. Furthermore she says open/semi-open is out of the question because they'll be used often while studying with others, and she doesn't want to leak sound. 

@RAFA
Man do I know how you feel. You probably just described what'll probably go down my way too. She could actually still be careful with carrying them directly in her bag, but I doubt it. Do you think the kind of leather bags on the M50s/MDR-V6s would do the job? I've almost decided for the Sony's but damn, it's really hard to blow 70 bucks now when they were 40 during Black Friday. 

@Doc-holliday 
Thanks for the reassurance, I actually did end up getting the E10 for $45 over the weekend (or at least I so hope, as I haven't heard from the store yet). At least I got one good deal! 

As for the M80s, they're waaaay out of the price range. I actually wouldn't mind wasting that much with her, but not on headphones. It was hard enough to convince her it's something worth investing in, but she'd be more genuinely angry at me than happy over me wasting 150 dollars for her first pair. She'd likely send them back, actually.

post #66 of 104
Thread Starter 

@Evshrug
Haha, I do catch your drift :P the other day I read a huuuge thread about how tube amps (as opposed to... "the other kind"? I don't really know their name. Solid state?) were just placebo. How about that?

Anyways it's good you have something to play with right now ahah. I'm still waiting for my gadgets! They'll be here next week though ^^

post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbife View Post

@mvtm
Always great to hear it from a girl's own voice, but unfortunately she's already admitted she's looking for closed-back cans. She says she doesn't like earphones because they're too intrusive. She uses her stock pair because it's the (poor quality, I believe) sit-on-the-ear-entrance kind, they don't go in or fit in any way. Furthermore she says open/semi-open is out of the question because they'll be used often while studying with others, and she doesn't want to leak sound. 

@RAFA
Man do I know how you feel. You probably just described what'll probably go down my way too. She could actually still be careful with carrying them directly in her bag, but I doubt it. Do you think the kind of leather bags on the M50s/MDR-V6s would do the job? I've almost decided for the Sony's but damn, it's really hard to blow 70 bucks now when they were 40 during Black Friday. 

@Doc-holliday 
Thanks for the reassurance, I actually did end up getting the E10 for $45 over the weekend (or at least I so hope, as I haven't heard from the store yet). At least I got one good deal! 

As for the M80s, they're waaaay out of the price range. I actually wouldn't mind wasting that much with her, but not on headphones. It was hard enough to convince her it's something worth investing in, but she'd be more genuinely angry at me than happy over me wasting 150 dollars for her first pair. She'd likely send them back, actually.

 

Wow 40? Y U NO BUY FOR YOURSELF?

post #68 of 104
I presume someone already recommended the Downtown for $40 from bens outlet?
They have the uptown for $65 which I have and is a very nice sounding headphone which isolates decently well. Doesn't leak bad or anything so she could use those for study. They look fairly decent too. They have nifty little ipod controls too which she might be into. Very comfy.
post #69 of 104
Thread Starter 

@RAFA
I don't know. I really don't know.
Nah I do know, I would have very happily picked one of those for myself BUT I'd have to get my brother to bring them to Portugal next time he came from the US, and he's already bringing other stuff for me. He's only carrying a handbag so not much space, didn't wanna push it.

@Doc-holliday

Yes those were recommended but she didn't like style. The Uptowns do look much nicer Oo I'll show them to her! Thanks

post #70 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvtm View Post

I saw on the crossfade LP for $80 in all colors. Cyber Monday lightning deals. I agree with Doc, white would be the only way to go. 

Looks good, imho. A bit more agressive styling for me, but works allright. 


Those are some cute headphones. Give them a listen though because the ones I tried were a bit harsh on the high end for my tastes!

post #71 of 104

My old headphones.

post #72 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by morijinal View Post

Those are some cute headphones. Give them a listen though because the ones I tried were a bit harsh on the high end for my tastes!


Harsh? That's unfortunate! I have found that over the past year I am even more sensitive to harsh highs than I remember. I get fatigued and irritated quickly. My Q701s actually must be near the edge of what I can take treble-wise, because with a poor amp I get irritated and can't listen anymore in less than 30-20 minutes. It hurts to listen to them straight out of my iPod's headphone jack, and straight from my Recon3D.

However, I'm surprised to hear that applied to the LPs; the head of V-MODA, Val Kolton, is an outspoken advocate against the common treble peak because it's "louder" than the rest of the frequency balance and a particular danger for damaging hearing. While V-MODA has never been shy about a bass-boost, the LPs were designed for smooth treble, which was certainly my experience with my LPs. I even enjoyed the results of using my iPod's Treble Booster EQ. The only thing against the LPs were that, like all closed headphones, for me they physically started to feel hard on my ears and head after some time, although not as bad as other closed headphones.

Morijinal (cool name btw, what does it mean?), I wonder if the LP you heard was a store-demo that had been damaged, or something. I believe you when you say the one you heard was harsh, it just surprises me because it doesn't match my experience.
post #73 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Harsh? That's unfortunate! I have found that over the past year I am even more sensitive to harsh highs than I remember. I get fatigued and irritated quickly. My Q701s actually must be near the edge of what I can take treble-wise, because with a poor amp I get irritated and can't listen anymore in less than 30-20 minutes. It hurts to listen to them straight out of my iPod's headphone jack, and straight from my Recon3D.
However, I'm surprised to hear that applied to the LPs; the head of V-MODA, Val Kolton, is an outspoken advocate against the common treble peak because it's "louder" than the rest of the frequency balance and a particular danger for damaging hearing. While V-MODA has never been shy about a bass-boost, the LPs were designed for smooth treble, which was certainly my experience with my LPs. I even enjoyed the results of using my iPod's Treble Booster EQ. The only thing against the LPs were that, like all closed headphones, for me they physically started to feel hard on my ears and head after some time, although not as bad as other closed headphones.
Morijinal (cool name btw, what does it mean?), I wonder if the LP you heard was a store-demo that had been damaged, or something. I believe you when you say the one you heard was harsh, it just surprises me because it doesn't match my experience.

 

The ones I tried were display models, and sounded very off, so maybe they were broken. They had a huge boost in bass and treble - like listening to a glass speaker.

 

My name came from my hotmail account expiring 10 or so years ago. Used to be you had to login at least every 90 days or your account got deleted. Thing was I could not for the life of me think of a new user name for my email after it expired - everything I tried was already taken. So, I thought to myself: I need a name that's not taken. One that is more original than the rest....more original...more original...then I got it! My new name would be "moriginal", a play on "more original". BUT the stupid library computer froze up during registration, keeping my name, and locking it up. So, I had to redo it, and I replaced the G with a J. Morijinal. True story.

post #74 of 104

girlfriend wanted something that did not need an amp, was closed, easy to use on the go. Gave her my m50s. 

post #75 of 104

Gf's Modded Monoprices are in the works! 

 

 

 

Will keep you guys posted 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What would you gift your girlfriend?