Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What would you gift your girlfriend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would you gift your girlfriend? - Page 3

post #31 of 104

Christ this whole thread is a wall of text, needless to say i didn't read it. 

 

Innerfidelity has some great recommendations, and has auditioned many more headphones than most people on head-fi have. 

 

As for an amplifier, the Objective2 amplifier is by far the best amp for the money. I wish i could link you to the article he wrote over engineering this amplifier, but i cant because head-fi will remove the post. (head-fi has something against him). Either way, the amplifier is $144 and he has conducted blind tests in which people cant tell the difference between it and $1000+ Amplifiers. You can learn more simply by googling "o2 Amplifier"

 

Great review on cnet http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57526726-47/jds-labs-overachieving-headphone-amplifiers/

 

"I compared the 02 with my FiiO E17 headphone amp, and felt both amps are really good, but the 02 wins on clarity, dynamic punch, and bass precision. Voices also have more "body" and sound more natural over the 02. In that sense the 02 sounds almost like a vacuum tube amplifier, but without sacrificing bass articulation."


Edited by Xaborus - 11/20/12 at 5:49pm
post #32 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

On a personal note, I'm so sad. My $200 tube hybrid amp I have been waiting for did indeed arrive today, but the tube got smashed in the mail. Pulverized. There are sand-like particles on my smooth glass tabletop that I can't move by scraping the edge of a piece of paper over them. So, I will have to wait like ANOTHER week to hear it. What was originally a summer reward for a job well done has almost turned into a Christmas present for myself.
T_T

Thank you for all the info, quite the audiopedia :D 
But damn, that's sad to hear. When you're all bumped up in anxiety just to find out someone screwed up and you're going to have to wait longer... each day can look like an eternity >< do let us know your impressions on it later :D hope one day I'll try some tube amps myself and listen to that reported difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

 

Yep. It's a great deal. Go research the main Brainwavz HM5 and main Fischer FA-003 threads and you'll find out all three are identical, and you'll see discussion of the Jaycar version.

Damn. When I got the time to check that out, it was back at some 100 dollars. What an amazing deal indeed. Too bad I already ordered others for myself... (GF finds them too bulky)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaborus View Post

Christ this whole thread is a wall of text, needless to say i didn't read it. 

Trudat, I really got to work on my concision... always been an issue though.
Thanks for the info on the O2. It's not really a price range I was looking in (well, at least not for as long as I feel an external Amp+DAC suits me better when I have none of the two yet), but I might just go with it after digging.

post #33 of 104
Two ways to approach this: many people associate bass with quality, xb500 is perfect for that. Second way is that the women I know tend to go for form over function. Get headphones that come in a favorite color, or are extremely comfortable. I gifted my wife some cute green Klipsch image S3 headphones to wear at work. They are bassier than many in ear headphones, and more importantly are stylish and cost about $30.biggrin.gif
post #34 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by morijinal View Post

Two ways to approach this: many people associate bass with quality, xb500 is perfect for that. Second way is that the women I know tend to go for form over function. Get headphones that come in a favorite color, or are extremely comfortable. I gifted my wife some cute green Klipsch image S3 headphones to wear at work. They are bassier than many in ear headphones, and more importantly are stylish and cost about $30.biggrin.gif

She loved the bass bump going from stock to entry-level bass-driven Sennheisers, but I don't think she's a basshead at all. 
I was trying to go for good quality here but it does seem like she's much more driven by appearance, be it in style, bulk level or comfort. Those ones are actually very good advice, she loves colorful stuff and they seem to fit the rest :) thanks!

post #35 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbife View Post

She loved the bass bump going from stock to entry-level bass-driven Sennheisers, but I don't think she's a basshead at all. 

I was trying to go for good quality here but it does seem like she's much more driven by appearance, be it in style, bulk level or comfort. Those ones are actually very good advice, she loves colorful stuff and they seem to fit the rest smily_headphones1.gif thanks!

To be fair, sometimes I realize in retrospect that my girlfriend tricked me into enjoying – or doing something good for – myself. Those klipsh probably fit the bill perfectly – I've also read many people that find them to be very comfortable IEMs because they're small and insert shallow into the ear. Double check this, but IIRC the only sour grape was that some people find the treble harsh and bass light? I'm going to look for a review. I debated buying myself a pair once upon a time, to see if they really are comfortable enough to sleep in... I think I went on a date instead? Excellent suggestion morijinal.

Xaborus may as well have walked up to me and said "Your powers of concision are weak, old man." Of course, I don't think he's nearly that cool, so instead I'll just say "If you flame me, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Bzzzzshew! Vroom KRA-CHOW KRA-CHOW!
post #36 of 104
Ah, I was actually thinking of the incredibly slim Klipsch Image X5 and X10 headphones... NOT in the budget. So to skip saying a lot of things I'm thinking, I say:

Look at the reviews for the Klipsh Image S3...
compared to S4...
AND THEN, if you'll excuse me for retracting my earlier Etymotic recommendation, read the reviews for these:

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-MEE-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rsrsrs0

Multiple fit options - check
Tons of positive reviews based on merit - check
Style - OOOH clears, but you can choose favourite.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/22/12 at 1:49am
post #37 of 104
post #38 of 104

@_@
Ok, quite nice music (through the Grado SR60 I happen to be wearing right now), and the idea of showing a girl wearing headphones is a good marketing idea, but... she puts them on her hair! And the story was so over-sweet that it bounded gleefully and gaily into the land of cheesy! Wait till you get to the end! And @ 0:15... DAT MOLE HAIR! I get the point and all, and I love my Audio Technica AD700 - the perfect FPS gaming headphone - but the video was so over the top I can't get past it. Might be a culture thing.

*deep breath* Do they sound like the M50's little sister?

Would it hurt to cut that mole hair?
Edited by Evshrug - 11/22/12 at 2:10am
post #39 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

@_@
Ok, quite nice music (through the Grado SR60 I happen to be wearing right now), and the idea of showing a girl wearing headphones is a good marketing idea, but... she puts them on her hair! And the story was so over-sweet that it bounded gleefully and gaily into the land of cheesy! Wait till you get to the end! And @ 0:15... DAT MOLE HAIR! I get the point and all, and I love my Audio Technica AD700 - the perfect FPS gaming headphone - but the video was so over the top I can't get past it. Might be a culture thing.
*deep breath* Do they sound like the M50's little sister?
Would it hurt to cut that mole hair?

They do have an M50 sound signature but not as clear as them but for more than half the price, these cans go along way. I bought them for a friend that was going off to college, I wouldn't mind buying again for myself.

M50's little sister seems accurate, plus they look like the M50.
post #40 of 104
Shiori sekine,

Sorry for reacting so strongly to the video, it just seemed overly dramatic. I'm sure Rosbife appreciates the suggestion. What do you think makes the SJ55 a better choice than the others mentioned so far?
post #41 of 104

Sony MDR-V6 are $40 at Amazon right now. That's a great deal on those, and good headphones for her to start out with. 

post #42 of 104
When I got my s4 they were pretty sharp in some songs. But after a while they really smooth out. They respond very well to special effects like SRS. The s4 is pretty much the opposite of bass shy, the s3 sounds similar, but less articulate. Even still I would say they sound 90 percent like the s4
post #43 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Sony MDR-V6 are $40 at Amazon right now. That's a great deal on those, and good headphones for her to start out with. 

What a great deal. Unfortunately, I don't know how much she'll appreciate the design, sigh...

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Would it hurt to cut that mole hair?

Yikes, that also stroke me! Must be highly esteemed haha

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-BK-MEE-Noise-Isolating-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K2K/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rsrsrs0
Multiple fit options - check
Tons of positive reviews based on merit - check
Style - OOOH clears, but you can choose favourite.
 

Thanks! Also tabbed, she does occasionally run so that's a good added bonus ^^

-----

Well guess I have a huge bunch of options right now. Too bad she's so careless about this. I don't want to gift her something that looks good to "me", because headphones are a pretty personal thing, but even though she's come to borrow mine almost every single day she just won't seem to focus the slightest on this. 

I guess all I could do at this point would be to give her a blind test, just the headphones without the price tag, and have her pick a favorite. But this still annoys me, I'd much rather know her preferences really well and pick one out myself for surprise. I'm actually on the verge of quitting this whole idea, sigh.

post #44 of 104
Have you taken a look at this?
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_166&products_id=3108

You can get it in different fur colours. It may be a bit pricey though.
post #45 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalidePisces View Post

Have you taken a look at this?
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_166&products_id=3108
You can get it in different fur colours. It may be a bit pricey though.

Yikes! She's picky but that's a bit too classy xD

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What would you gift your girlfriend?