I'm getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATHM50S headphones, my current pair (Some $30 Koss model I got from walmart) are too quiet. Even with the computer volume maxed out and the pandora/CD/youtube/etc maxed too....it's not loud enough for me. So I'm guessing the ATHM50's will be too quiet as well. So I'll probably want an amplifier, right? I see there are portable amplifiers, and desktop...anyone want to fill me in? Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- Did I just blow my new ATH-M50? Please Help! Last post on Today at 5:53 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from ATH-M50 Last post on Today at 12:33 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Logitech G930's a clear winner among ATH-M50's and V-MODA M100's Last post on Yesterday at 9:59 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 - No difference between DAC and on-board audio Last post on Today at 6:13 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- V-MODA M100's vs ATH-M50's Last post on Yesterday at 9:00 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
Upon initial listening with these buds, I was rather unimpressed as I heard the rather familiar bloated mid-bass, sharp highs, and lack of mids that SKDY's old line carried. Then I realized that...
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
The Creative Aurvana Live! solved a major problem for me—how to listen to good audio while walking the dog at night. I live near a commercial and bar district in Center City, Philadelphia and I'm...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Looking for an amp, I'm a headphone noob.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Quality beats quantity any day of the weak. Good cans at a low volume are way better to me that middle of the road cans at ear busting levels. Take care of your hearing. Once it is gone, it is gone, you can not buy new ears. (Currently listening with my amp set to 3 on a scale from zero to 79 and my cans are quite hard to drive...)
Most people buy headphone amps to give a better quality sound. Not to generate huge loudness.
There are lots of portable amps out there that will in many cases improve the sound out of your computer. Just take care.
Edited by Hooster - 11/12/12 at 4:19am
- Looking for an amp, I'm a headphone noob.
- › Finally narrowed my selection to three amps! Lyr,Asgard 2,HA-160D. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Always wanted portable heaven - who wants to help me reach there? 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Philips Fidelio S2. Shockingly amazing... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones under $100 that compete at mid-high/high end headphones. 3 minutes ago
- › Mission : Defeat Zardak 4 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › New in ear buds for my new iPhone 5 6 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated: 5/23/2013.... 7 minutes ago
- › Skullcandy S2SYDA-008 Merge Earbud Headphones - Black/Chrome by KodaO
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe