Steve your findings were not too different from mine when I compared 007mk1 to 009 on my friend's BHSE (using my DAC). Though we didn't listen to any classical and focused more on 60s/70s jazz, classic and prog rock. I actually didn't find the SR-009 bright on the BHSE either (I mean it won't cover up recordings where the engineer jacks up the treble). I don't think it's a bright amp at all, just passes on what it's given.
- productHeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Amptagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/12/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- What should I buy next? SR-009? Last post on 12/28/13 at 10:17pm in High-end Audio Forum
- WA5 or other amp into WOO WEE energizer - Best cable/connection? Last post on 11/3/12 at 10:26pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 4/12/14 at 11:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Stax SR-009 - Which Stax Energiser Amp To Pair With? Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:07am in High-end Audio Forum
- Does it get much better than the HD800? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:37pm in High-end Audio Forum
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
Mini-Review: Stax SR-009 - Page 2post #16 of 7411/12/12 at 11:24am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 7411/12/12 at 12:10pmpost #18 of 7411/12/12 at 12:35pm
Priceless.post #19 of 7411/12/12 at 12:35pm
Haven't been on here for a while, didn't read the whole thing but caught the gists.
First time agreeing (mostly) with a review from you Steve. The 009 does have some clearly advantageous traits to it over the O2Mk1, but overall yes, the reasons your outline are why i kept the O2 and the 009 got sold.
Edited by sachu - 11/12/12 at 12:37pmpost #20 of 7411/12/12 at 9:27pmQuote:When that happens is it not better to assess the components under objective criteria and not by our impressions of them?.For those who want to purchase a product, the difference of opinion does not help. The reviews are very important to learn more about a product, but there is know that influence many things and impressions are always subjectivepost #21 of 7411/12/12 at 10:05pm
Establishing whether a component has sonic character is paramount to me. Evaluating with components that are considered neutral is the only yardstick I can think of. If you consider the BHSE a neutral piece of equipment then the review is a good benchmark. I’m sure Steve could have gone the extra yards and achieved better synergy with equipment better suited for the SR-009’s character. However as it stands I feel it’s a fine example of the true character of the SR-009’s, which means you get to do your own mix and matching for best results.post #22 of 7411/13/12 at 1:32am
I panic bought the 009 last December from pricejapan after hearing about the Chinese company taking over Stax, however I didn't have anything to drive it until I received the BHSE which was in June. If I'd have got to listen to the 009 straight after I received it, it'd have gone back to pricejapan. I'm still regretting letting the 007mk1's go I once had but hopefully Stax will be reading the thoughts some headfiers have on the 009 and do something about it.
Although I'm not entirely happy with the 009, I listen to acoustic guitar music which the 009/BHSE/K-01 make that music genre sound very realistic.post #23 of 7411/13/12 at 3:05amQuote:Originally Posted by SaharaQuote:When that happens is it not better to assess the components under objective criteria and not by our impressions of them?.For those who want to purchase a product, the difference of opinion does not help. The reviews are very important to learn more about a product, but there is know that influence many things and impressions are always subjective
On the contrary, it does. There are measurements of the BHSE + 007 and 009 combinations on Innerfidelity, but those don't give you an impression of how they sound. They do match people's impressions of the differences between both models on Stax amps versus on the BHSE. Ultimately, a person's enjoyment will have more to do with the type of music one likes and the system synergy. You could objectively analyse this, but ultimately you'll reach the same conclusions.post #24 of 7411/13/12 at 9:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by Currawong
On the contrary, it does. There are measurements of the BHSE + 007 and 009 combinations on Innerfidelity, but those don't give you an impression of how they sound. They do match people's impressions of the differences between both models on Stax amps versus on the BHSE. Ultimately, a person's enjoyment will have more to do with the type of music one likes and the system synergy. You could objectively analyse this, but ultimately you'll reach the same conclusions.I think that it is difficult to reach an objective conclusion when we read different impressions of the same combination. The only logic conclusion would be that there are different opinions.Opinions are different depending on the interpretation of each one. For example I, ve read that the GES-009 combination is extraordinary and on the other hand I, ve read that the GES cannot move SR-009 and we are missing something very important . When this happens the preferable it is assessed under objective criteria - specifications etc.The ideal is trying by ourself, but there are times that we can not do that.post #25 of 7411/14/12 at 12:12pm
Makes me think that if I ever have $5K to throw around, (possibly when my kids finish college) I would go for the BHSE rather than the SR009. Currently my TOTL set-up is running an 007A (i.e. what I think many call the 2, with Sprizter's spring mod, rather than the 2.5 model,) and Sigma/404 from a Stax 717. My recollection of hearing the BHSE at a Canjam some years back was that it did great things to any phone, to some extent equalizing phones that on other amps would appear of different quality. I remember thinking that the SIGMA/404 seemed to have a lot better detail with the BHSE and that the 007A's advantage in that regard was much reduced. Possibly much the same is going on betrween your 007Mk1 and the SR009.post #26 of 7411/14/12 at 5:09pm
I personally preferred both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 to the SR-007 MKII. The MKI was closer and I did prefer it to the LCD-2, but I'd still take the LCD-3s over them. Now that said, the SR-009s have made me a very happy member of the mafia (never thought I'd come to this conclusion). I didn't think I'd hear an e-stat that is simply this magical, technically proficient and portray layer upon layer of so much sonic goodness. Just sharing my experiences and two cents.post #27 of 7411/15/12 at 9:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero
I personally preferred both the LCD-2 and LCD-3 to the SR-007 MKII. The MKI was closer and I did prefer it to the LCD-2, but I'd still take the LCD-3s over them. Now that said, the SR-009s have made me a very happy member of the mafia (never thought I'd come to this conclusion). I didn't think I'd hear an e-stat that is simply this magical, technically proficient and portray layer upon layer of so much sonic goodness. Just sharing my experiences and two cents.I've seen the classification you do on the headphones and I think that the positions for you are1 SR-0092 Audeze LCD 33 Stax SR 007 MKI4 Audeze 2 LCD5 Stax SR 007 MKIWhich position you place the HD800 in that classification?post #28 of 7411/16/12 at 3:40ampost #29 of 7411/16/12 at 8:07amQuote:
I ranked my headphone collection as follow
1. Stax Sr 009
2 Stax Sr 007 mk 2
3. LCD 3
4. HD 800
5. LCD 2 rev 2 with right Angle connectorpost #30 of 7411/16/12 at 8:11amQuote:
Here is my personal ranking:
4.) LCD-2 r.2
4.1) SR-007 MKI
6.) SR-007 MKII
7.) LCD-2 Rev. 1
Edited by MacedonianHero - 11/16/12 at 11:43am
- Mini-Review: Stax SR-009
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The results of giveaway! 1 second ago
- › Your favourite "not the best" headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for Gym with Remote, Sweatproof 3 minutes ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Which Headphone is next on your "To Buy" list? 4 minutes ago
- › FS: JKenny Ciunas DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob