Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › [Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter - Page 6

post #76 of 108

How is the sound quality between the Nano 7G and the Shuffle 4G? For better or worse?

I know they use the same Cirrus DAC (from looking at the ifixit teardown pics on the logicboards).
 

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #77 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shch13 View Post
 

How is the sound quality between the Nano 7G and the Shuffle 4G? For better or worse?

I know they use the same Cirrus DAC (from looking at the ifixit teardown pics on the logicboards).
 

 

Actually Shuffle 4G and Nano 6G use the same codec (Cirrus Logic CLI1544C0) while Nano 7G uses a different codec (CLI1599A1).

 

Anyway, I have not heard the Shuffle 4G myself so I can't say which is better.

post #78 of 108

Nano, Touch, Classic, Shuffle all of them has a difference with capacitors and some amping section, so sound can be very similar, but iShuffle will be always more simple (cause of size, it is hard to put something better in such body). I was having some experience with repairing iPods and read my previous sentence again please:)

post #79 of 108

So simple, means less parts, and you think that in general gives it only basic SQ?

post #80 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shch13 View Post
 

How is the sound quality between the Nano 7G and the Shuffle 4G? For better or worse?

I know they use the same Cirrus DAC (from looking at the ifixit teardown pics on the logicboards).
 

 

The Nano 7G sounds a little "softer" around the edges compared to both the Shuffle 4G and the Touch 5G. When I say softer I mean there's a little less clarity. The difference is subtle - they all sound like iPods in general and this is not a deal breaker if your heart is set on Apple, at all. Darker, looser, low-detail headphones may even drown out this difference. But if we strongly insist on discerning a difference between the three, and using a variety of IEMs, then I think I can hear this. The Shuffle comes surprisingly close to the Touch in sound sometimes, particularly clarity.

 

A song I often use for auditioning is Gotye's "eyes wide open" - I often saw it on demo units, so I bought it off iTunes for a comparison with my own players. It's the kind of music that really benefits from the colder, more analytical iPod sound in general (as opposed to say, the warmer fluffier Sony sound). It is this song that single-handedly persuaded me of the benefits of the iPhone 5/Touch 5G's digital amp.

 

To me the song clearly "rocks" a little more on both the Touch 5G and Shuffle 4G over the Nano 7G. The synths and vocals just pop a bit more.

 

The Nano 6G also has a tiny bit less clarity compared to the Shuffle 4G and the Touch 4G. The Nnao 7G is clearer than the Nano 6G but still softer than the 2 products I mentioned above. The 6G can sometimes rides a line where you're not sure if its amp is sufficient or underpowered, neutral or plasticky-sounding; my ears subjectively think the 7G is better in this regard.

 

After sampling these iPods extensively (going to stores for 3 months on-and-off) I bought 2 Shuffles instead of a Nano 7G. If you're looking for a fun sound, I actually think nothing beats the Shuffle in its price range. It hasn't got EQ so it's not a bassy kind of fun, but that can be easily fixed by the endless array of IEMs and headphones today that (without declaring so) are really tuned to be driven much better by Apple products. Say, the entire Zound Industries lineup (Urbanears/Marshall/Coloud/etc) is designed to provide so much bass that you don't need to EQ for bass, just EQ for how much treble and mids you want.

 

I don't think the Shuffle actually has any Cirrus Logic parts - I cite the iFixit teardown frequently and I've never seen it on there - I just assumed everything on the Shuffle is contained in that custom SoC. Also worth noting is that multiple Sony Walkmans use Cirrus Logic parts but the sound is digitally tuned to give a very different sound.

 

There's also a theory that Apple intentionally tuned the Nanos to have a somewhat softer sound than the other iPods and iOS devices - which I agree with. But these are all just my opinion :)


Edited by heatofamatch - 12/14/13 at 4:47pm
post #81 of 108

With 3 months of trying that's some dedication. Your opinion will definitely carry some weight.
I should try that myself in the next few days. 

I just sort of assumed that because the Nano 7G (2012) was newer than the SHuffle 4G (S4G started in 2010, new colors refreshed in 2012) it would have better sound. 

 

Over here in Aus unfortunately we don't have too many choices in terms of DAP besides Sony and Walkman (in terms of mainstream availability). You can find Philips somewhere around though. I've had a few Walkman's but the build quality hasn't been that great for me, but SQ is great (I think lol). Only had the pleasure of trying an iFruit Classic but given how old it is, I'd like to see if the current line would have sonically improved.

post #82 of 108

Can anyone answer about soundstage and instrument separation differences of Nano 7 vs Touch 5? 
+ also with amping. 

post #83 of 108

I used a Nano 7G for about a month with both RE272 and TF10 Pros. Nifty little device with enough power. 

 

But then i met the iPod Video 5G. Compared to the Nano 7G, the Video 5G has a lot more power, also the bass seems just outstanding on the Video 5G (deeper). The Video 5G and the TF10 combo is very enjoyable together, more than the Nano 7G + RE272 Combo. Also, Soundstage is very different between the Nano 7G and the Video 5G. The Video 5G has a more 3D presentation, the Nano 7G Soundstage, even though enjoyable is not extended in all the dimensions. for the Video 5G, we have Height, Width and Length. Height and Width are understandable, but Length is the distance between you and the wall you are directly looking at, in this sound stage room. Coming back to the discussion, the Video 5G has more length compared to the Nano 7G.

post #84 of 108
  • psgarcha92, thank you!
    I've bought Nano7 yesterday. It is good, but soundstage of Classic and Video is bigger in every department. With Ibasso T3 we've got a good portable combo. And it is sooo small)
post #85 of 108

Can somebody else confirm that using the lightning to 30 pin adapter on the nano 7G greatly diminishes battery life?

My setup would consist of Nano 7G -> apple lightning to 30 pin adapter -> fiio l9 (30 pin to 3.5 mm) -> fiio mont blanc e12 -> AIAIAI TMA-1's.

I have called apple support about the adapter, & since when connected to an old 30 pin to usb cable, the iPod charges, they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Using the menu frequently, the battery life is likely to last you less than an hour and a half. Without using the menu, maybe it lasts 2 hours.

Does the chip inside the adapter really use that much power?

post #86 of 108

Somewhere in this thread it was stated that the ipad 3 has APT-X.  Has this been confirmed?  I must admit that does not sound correct to me.

post #87 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
 

Somewhere in this thread it was stated that the ipad 3 has APT-X.  Has this been confirmed?  I must admit that does not sound correct to me.

 

I would think if iPad had have aptX support, CSR (the company behind aptX) would have made a big fuss about it by now. I think ti is just misconception when Apple announced BT4 on iPad, everyone just assume it will have apt-X support. But AFAIK, none of apple products actually come with aptX.

post #88 of 108

@ClieOS Recently i jailbroke my iPhone 5s to get rid of the annoying double cap that European Union imposes on the headphone out of portable players sold with bundled earphones. The Menu UE Volume Limite toggle just removes the first limit (85db) but not the second (100db). It has surprised me a great deal that a non capped iPhone 5s has a really powerful headphone amp. Stunning for a phone really.

 

I think that i read on this thread that your iPod Nano got the headphone amplifier capped by a firmware update. Is that correct?

 

If that was the case what country is your iPod Nano from? Do you get yellow/red volume squares when you push up the volume while headphones are plugged?

 

Just trying to figure out Apple wherabouts in relation to the headphone amplifier of ihandhelds.

post #89 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfary View Post
 

@ClieOS Recently i jailbroke my iPhone 5s to get rid of the annoying double cap that European Union imposes on the headphone out of portable players sold with bundled earphones. The Menu UE Volume Limite toggle just removes the first limit (85db) but not the second (100db). It has surprised me a great deal that a non capped iPhone 5s has a really powerful headphone amp. Stunning for a phone really.

 

I think that i read on this thread that your iPod Nano got the headphone amplifier capped by a firmware update. Is that correct?

 

If that was the case what country is your iPod Nano from? Do you get yellow/red volume squares when you push up the volume while headphones are plugged?

 

Just trying to figure out Apple wherabouts in relation to the headphone amplifier of ihandhelds.

 

Yep, last time I updated the firmware, it somehow capped the headphone-out. But I did a reinstall later and now it doesn't have the volume cap anymore - don't ask me how or why as I am clueless as well. My guess is that the first time around, iTune must have capped the volume due to wrong setting, and then get corrected on reinstall (could be a mix up on region). I don't keep iTune on my PC and only install it when needed (then uninstall after I am done with it, so those are two different iTune on my PC), so there might be something I did that trigger the difference. Happy to say now my Nano is working as intended without any volume cap. My Nano is from Singapore. Didn't notice any volume indicator right now, might have been there before but I wasn't paying attention to it.

post #90 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

 

Yep, last time I updated the firmware, it somehow capped the headphone-out. But I did a reinstall later and now it doesn't have the volume cap anymore - don't ask me how or why as I am clueless as well. My guess is that the first time around, iTune must have capped the volume due to wrong setting, and then get corrected on reinstall (could be a mix up on region). I don't keep iTune on my PC and only install it when needed (then uninstall after I am done with it, so those are two different iTune on my PC), so there might be something I did that trigger the difference. Happy to say now my Nano is working as intended without any volume cap. My Nano is from Singapore. Didn't notice any volume indicator right now, might have been there before but I wasn't paying attention to it.


Thanks for the answer.

 

Purchased a 2nd hand european 4s to compare it with my uncapped 5s and is struck me that the 4s in spite of being european and on iOs 7.0 was not capped and hadn't the colored volume squares. On the contrary every brand new iPhone 4s i have seen at Apple Stores are all volume capped.

 

I'm glad to know that out Europe Apple is not crippling any headphone amplifier.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › [Impression] Apple Nano 7G + Lightning-to-30pin adapter