Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Audéo PFE232- Planx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Audéo PFE232- Planx - Page 2

post #16 of 64
How about an ER4S comparison? Nice review btw... The 232 has always intrigued me.
post #17 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

How about an ER4S comparison? Nice review btw... The 232 has always intrigued me.

 

I had a feeling that someone was going to ask me that. Bass between the two are literally night/day differences. PFE232 has almost bottomless extension while the ER-4S rolls off a bit before hitting what I would call the last audible bass line. ER-4S is very fast and extremely tight bass while the PFE232 is just as fast (not quite as fast as the ER-4S) and manages to have a beefy amount of punch and remarkably tight as well. You get that "full" sound with the PFE232 while the ER-4S sounds rather thin. Mids, I would have to say that the ER-4S has a little more emphasis than the PFE232. Both have high levels of clarity, but as expected, the ER-4S is one of the clearest sounding IEMs you can buy today. The treble on the ER-4S is very mildly emphasized compared to the bass to my ears and has plenty of sparkle. However, the PFE232's treble is more emphasized than the mids causing it to have very satisfying female vocals and the treble is very sparkly on the PFE232. Treble sensitive users might find the treble a little hot compared to the ER-4S, but with that said, both of them have above average treble. I just prefer the treble in the PFE232 because I like my treble to be on the hot side. Really crisp, splashy, and sparkly. Treble lovers will go crazy for the PFE232. Comfort is something you can't compare with the two. The PFE232 is SO beautifully balanced and so ergonomically designed that nothing really comes close to it. The only thing that might come close is the Fitear ToGo? But with that said, I haven't tried the ToGo so I can't be sure. 

post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

I had a feeling that someone was going to ask me that. Bass between the two are literally night/day differences. PFE232 has almost bottomless extension while the ER-4S rolls off a bit before hitting what I would call the last audible bass line. ER-4S is very fast and extremely tight bass while the PFE232 is just as fast (not quite as fast as the ER-4S) and manages to have a beefy amount of punch and remarkably tight as well. You get that "full" sound with the PFE232 while the ER-4S sounds rather thin. Mids, I would have to say that the ER-4S has a little more emphasis than the PFE232. Both have high levels of clarity, but as expected, the ER-4S is one of the clearest sounding IEMs you can buy today. The treble on the ER-4S is very mildly emphasized compared to the bass to my ears and has plenty of sparkle. However, the PFE232's treble is more emphasized than the mids causing it to have very satisfying female vocals and the treble is very sparkly on the PFE232. Treble sensitive users might find the treble a little hot compared to the ER-4S, but with that said, both of them have above average treble. I just prefer the treble in the PFE232 because I like my treble to be on the hot side. Really crisp, splashy, and sparkly. Treble lovers will go crazy for the PFE232. Comfort is something you can't compare with the two. The PFE232 is SO beautifully balanced and so ergonomically designed that nothing really comes close to it. The only thing that might come close is the Fitear ToGo? But with that said, I haven't tried the ToGo so I can't be sure. 

 

Thanks, very concise and informative. I think the old me would be drooling over the 232 while the current me is more of an ety guy. A well done v-shape is the end game for a lot of head-fiers though.

post #19 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

 

Thanks, very concise and informative. I think the old me would be drooling over the 232 while the current me is more of an ety guy. A well done v-shape is the end game for a lot of head-fiers though.

 

Thanks. Like I said before in the first page, I personally don't like a lot of V-shape signatures, but the PFE232 is something different because it doesn't have the lacking mids as other strong V-shapes. I liked the DT990 for the bass and treble, but the mids just killed it for me. Overall, I'm pretty flexible with other signatures. Just not a huge fan of most V-shapes

post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post
The only thing that might come close is the Fitear ToGo? But with that said, I haven't tried the ToGo so I can't be sure. 

 

If you want, I could still let you demo the one I borrowed last month. And yes, build on these are fantastic biggrin.gif

post #21 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

If you want, I could still let you demo the one I borrowed last month. And yes, build on these are fantastic biggrin.gif

 

I'll ask GG if he wants to go some time. Probably after my Papers.

post #22 of 64

Hello, I've been really considering getting these lately, but the price is crazy high for me (but doable).  I'm just afraid of jumping in without hearing them first.  Could you answer some questions for me?

 

I absolutely fell in love with everything about the pfe112 except i felt it really lacked low "body" or bass I suppose you could call it.  Otherwise it was very flat with a very slightly recessed "high" treble (but not lacking treble).  Despite the boost in bass/treble, would you say the 232 still sounds pretty "flat" overall?  When I say flat, I'm referring more to the flatness of a speaker, as I realize headphones don't represent the "feeling" of bass the same.

 

Currently I'm using the Audio Technica M50.  I'm curious if you've heard them and could compare the amount of bass/treble to them?  I'm very pleased at the price range, but they just don't "do it" for me in any special way.  They sound very good but lack that super enjoyable sound that makes me want to never take them off.

 

I know the pfe112 was the most comfortable thing that ever went in my ears.  I assume these feel the same?  They look almost identical shape-wise...

 

On the overall frequencies...  Would you say they are "bassy" headphones or just very "good" capable bass?  Same with the treble.  Would you say they are very bright headphones or just very good treble?  I like my treble to be realistically bright and bring out every nuance of drum cymbals, ambient noise, et.  But I don't like it to sound "bright" as you typically get with EQing a set.  I like airy-ness that makes you really feel like you're in the room with an orchestra...  I preferred the grey filters on the pfe112 for reference.  They brought out more details and the mid/treble was great, but they could have used a bit more high treble in my opinion.

 

I think the deal breaker for me will be the bass.  I want bass, i want deep smooth kick @s$ bass, but I don't want a LOT of bass.  I want it neutral and balanced with the other frequencies.  The ba200, ue700 and gr07 all had decent bass "levels" with the gr07 being the most.  But none of them really stood out as sounding like "real" bass.  In other words, as an example, I love the song "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney.  On my infinity alpha speakers this is what I experience....

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iNQvFhrNY  obviously not nearly good audio quality... but in case you don't happen to know it...

 

The song starts with metallic clanks and whatnot that sound very detailed, metallic and 3d.  There is a great level of depth that I can hear "into".  The bass thing hits bery well and low, but sounds pretty much the same 'volume' as the other instruments.  Finally, when the real bass line comes into the song I'm always blown away on the speakers.  The bass literally sounds like he is standing in the room with his bass amp in front of me.  It is just one of the best basses I've ever heard.  However, the bass isn't loud.  It sounds even in volume with the rest of the song, with maybe just a tad of mid bass volume added (very slight) that makes it sound more like a real bass.  The engineer really knew his frequencies here.

 

So, how would that fair on the pfe232?  Would the experience, while being different from speakers, still be similar overall?  Please convince me! haha.  I want this search to be over so i can start enjoying music again! hahaha


Edited by luisdent - 12/21/12 at 6:20pm
post #23 of 64
Thread Starter 

A lot of questions, I'll just reply in bold below.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Hello, I've been really considering getting these lately, but the price is crazy high for me (but doable).  I'm just afraid of jumping in without hearing them first.  Could you answer some questions for me?

 

I absolutely fell in love with everything about the pfe112 except i felt it really lacked low "body" or bass I suppose you could call it.  Otherwise it was very flat with a very slightly recessed "high" treble (but not lacking treble).  Despite the boost in bass/treble, would you say the 232 still sounds pretty "flat" overall?  When I say flat, I'm referring more to the flatness of a speaker, as I realize headphones don't represent the "feeling" of bass the same. Flat would be an incorrect description for the PFE232. These have magnificent low end body and punch for a BA system, the best I've heard from a universal BA. I feel that the PFE232 has more extension on both ends as well. Depending on the filter, it would vary... With Grey filters, I find that the sound is "flatter" with the bass being a tad toned down and the upper mids being brought up a bit, in comparison to the Black filters. These sure please a lot of bass lovers. I've had many comments saying how the bass feels and sounds almost dynamic with the PFE232.

 

Currently I'm using the Audio Technica M50.  I'm curious if you've heard them and could compare the amount of bass/treble to them?  I'm very pleased at the price range, but they just don't "do it" for me in any special way.  They sound very good but lack that super enjoyable sound that makes me want to never take them off. I have, but this was years ago... Based of memory and others impressions of the M50, I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities. In a nutshell, the two sound a bit similar. I remember the M50 having prominent bass and treble, which I despised of as I love Mids. However, many will call the PFE232 as "V-shaped" but the way I see it, the mids doesn't compromise unlike a lot of harsh V-shapes. The only complaint with the PFE232 is the lower-mids where the bass bleeds a tiny amount causing a slight veil, but this is easily fixed with some grunt, from something like my Headstage Arrow 4G. Overall, the PFE232 doesn't do many things wrong.

 

I know the pfe112 was the most comfortable thing that ever went in my ears.  I assume these feel the same?  They look almost identical shape-wise... Yes, still extremely comfortable, maybe a bit more because the body of the IEM is a little larger and fits more flush in the ears?

 

On the overall frequencies...  Would you say they are "bassy" headphones or just very "good" capable bass?  Same with the treble.  Would you say they are very bright headphones or just very good treble?  I like my treble to be realistically bright and bring out every nuance of drum cymbals, ambient noise, et.  But I don't like it to sound "bright" as you typically get with EQing a set.  I like airy-ness that makes you really feel like you're in the room with an orchestra...  I preferred the grey filters on the pfe112 for reference.  They brought out more details and the mid/treble was great, but they could have used a bit more high treble in my opinion. Well, everyone has different ears so try not to expect exactly what I hear. I find these to have spot on bass and treble. Both are extremely capable to the extremes; excellent bass and treble extension. The bass has good speed and doesn't sound sluggish at all. With treble, I find the PFE232 to be a little on the bright side, but extremely crisp and smooth as well. My friend who is very treble sensitive actually liked the PFE232 because it has such smooth treble that didn't pierce his ears. That was a huge surprise to me because even to my ears, they are a bit hot but has amazing sparkle and shimmer to it. The PFE232 doesn't have the greatest soundstage to be honest, but it isn't bad at all. It does have good separation and it has good width and depth, it just might not be enough for the most demanding listeners. Overall, I would say that they are average, but the PFE232's competitors do have more drivers/Dynamic hybrids as well so the PFE232 is no slouch. Like I said above, the PFE232 has more extension and more prominent treble than the 112 from experience.

 

I think the deal breaker for me will be the bass.  I want bass, i want deep smooth kick @s$ bass, but I don't want a LOT of bass.  I want it neutral and balanced with the other frequencies.  The ba200, ue700 and gr07 all had decent bass "levels" with the gr07 being the most.  But none of them really stood out as sounding like "real" bass.  In other words, as an example, I love the song "Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney.  On my infinity alpha speakers this is what I experience.... That's why they come with 3 filters! I personally don't like a lot of bass, but the quality of bass has to be good for me. The PFE232 with Grey does just that. The bass isn't overpowering, but it has have amazing punch and slam. Seeing how you tried the others listed above, all of them minus the GR07 are TWFK drivers. TWFK aren't really known for amazing bass. The PFE232 won't deliver the kind of bass you heard with those TWFK IEMs. It will deliver so much more and I can guarantee it. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8iNQvFhrNY  obviously not nearly good audio quality... but in case you don't happen to know it... Listening to it with the PFE232, yes I like it. Dat bass guitar and drums.

 

The song starts with metallic clanks and whatnot that sound very detailed, metallic and 3d.  There is a great level of depth that I can hear "into".  The bass thing hits bery well and low, but sounds pretty much the same 'volume' as the other instruments.  Finally, when the real bass line comes into the song I'm always blown away on the speakers.  The bass literally sounds like he is standing in the room with his bass amp in front of me.  It is just one of the best basses I've ever heard.  However, the bass isn't loud.  It sounds even in volume with the rest of the song, with maybe just a tad of mid bass volume added (very slight) that makes it sound more like a real bass.  The engineer really knew his frequencies here. 

 

So, how would that fair on the pfe232?  Would the experience, while being different from speakers, still be similar overall?  Please convince me! haha.  I want this search to be over so i can start enjoying music again! hahaha It faired well. Well, that's because I already like the PFE232. It sounded both musical and fun for me. I like the bass, but I also liked how it has a mildly forward treble as well emphasizing the hi-hats and cymbals. The vocals were good as well and sounded well situated with the bass and treble. Compared to Speakers, it's difficult to compare IEMs, even headphones, side by side as they are all different from one another. Speakers are able to give amazing soundstage, but I find a lot of them lack on extension, if they don't have a dedicated subwoofer. IEMs and headphones are able to go down lower than speakers generally speaking, but sacrifice the soundstage you get from speakers. It's really hard to find a great balance of both from both speakers and personal IEMs and headphones.

 

I think you should give the PFE232 a go. If you can, I STRONGLY urge you to find a good seller where there is a return policy just in case. I can tell you as much as I can, but in the end your ears are what matters the most. From just answering your questions, I can see that the PFE232 is a good match for you and seems like you're very serious about this IEM. Besides, Head-Fi is all about experimenting! What can possibly go wrong? Cheers and Merry X-Mas!

post #24 of 64

Excellent and detailed explanations. I agree with most of it, though I don't hear them as bright at all. As a former basshead I can tell you there is plenty of bass and  of the best quality, very much like a dynamic driver with good slam. But for me the most enjoyable part of the 232 is the holographic imaging with great depth. The overall soundstage is not as wide and open as some but depending on recording they are able to portrait sounds coming from all directions and the centre image is also great. I still have to hear another iem capable of that  and that why I am still curious about the very polarising SM3.

post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

A lot of questions, I'll just reply in bold below.

 

Yeah, I want to try them very badly, but I can't even find a seller except "pricegrabber" on amazon.com, but they have not the best ratings...  Is there anyone else that sells them?  There is also one selling for $400 used here on head-fi.  I'm considering either the pfe232, 1964-ears v3 or alclair reference at this point.  I'm just familiar with the pfe112, and although they're probably very different, I feel confident in audeo's sound quality and comfort based on those...

post #26 of 64

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-pfe-232.html

 

Hope that helps!

One quick question.  What's the isolation like on these?  Having a hell of a time getting customs fitted for some reason and may just get these and be done with it.  I use iems a lot, so comfort is key but so is isolation.

 

I listen to progressive rock/metal.

 

Cheers

post #27 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Excellent and detailed explanations. I agree with most of it, though I don't hear them as bright at all. As a former basshead I can tell you there is plenty of bass and  of the best quality, very much like a dynamic driver with good slam. But for me the most enjoyable part of the 232 is the holographic imaging with great depth. The overall soundstage is not as wide and open as some but depending on recording they are able to portrait sounds coming from all directions and the centre image is also great. I still have to hear another iem capable of that  and that why I am still curious about the very polarising SM3.

 

Thanks! I personally don't think that they really bright, but a lot of other people that tried them find them to be a little hot on the treble so just to be safe, I like saying that the PFE232 is a little bright. But I don't find the treble to be fatiguing at all because it's oh so smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Yeah, I want to try them very badly, but I can't even find a seller except "pricegrabber" on amazon.com, but they have not the best ratings...  Is there anyone else that sells them?  There is also one selling for $400 used here on head-fi.  I'm considering either the pfe232, 1964-ears v3 or alclair reference at this point.  I'm just familiar with the pfe112, and although they're probably very different, I feel confident in audeo's sound quality and comfort based on those...

 

If you're Canadian, my local shop sells it for $500 CAD and he ships to Canada only. To be honest, I can't really help you there... The best place I personally would buy the PFE232 is earphonesolutions with a coupon code or Amazon. Just think of the PFE232 as the 112 but improved in the bass and treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-pfe-232.html

 

Hope that helps!

One quick question.  What's the isolation like on these?  Having a hell of a time getting customs fitted for some reason and may just get these and be done with it.  I use iems a lot, so comfort is key but so is isolation.

 

I listen to progressive rock/metal.

 

Cheers

 

Average. The isolation is nothing to go all crazy about unfortunately. I would have to say that the isolation is about on par with the GR07 and a few other shallow fitting IEMs. I'll try to give you a real life scenario... On the train/bus, you will be able to pick up engine and rail vibrations and will be about 75% isolated from the environment, whereas you would be 90% isolated with an Etymotic ER-4S for example. However, these have little/no microphonics so they would be ideal if you're on foot a lot compared to deeper fitting IEMs where microphonics gets in the way. In a mildly busy office area, you probably won't be distracted by the outside noise. It all depends how sensitive you are to picking up outside noise. Isolation isn't really my #1 priority because I'm rarely at loud places so the PFE232 fairs good enough.

post #28 of 64

Holy poop batman.  I just bought the pfe232.  How did I go from a ue700 to a pfe232 in one month??? haha
 

post #29 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Holy poop batman.  I just bought the pfe232.  How did I go from a ue700 to a pfe232 in one month??? haha
 

 

Congrats, I hope you like them as much as I do. If you're planning on further upgrading them, I suggest a decent amp but that's purely optional.

post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

If you're Canadian, my local shop sells it for $500 CAD and he ships to Canada only. To be honest, I can't really help you there... The best place I personally would buy the PFE232 is earphonesolutions with a coupon code or Amazon. Just think of the PFE232 as the 112 but improved in the bass and treble.

I just got them 20% off at earphonesolutions.com!!!!!  $479 Woot!  Can't wait to get them.  This is going to be the longest week ever. haha

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Audéo PFE232- Planx