Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Advice required
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice required - Page 4

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 

Listen to someone on speaker phone who is talking in a reverberating space. Then you will hear the decay loud and clear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Yes that is essentially what decay is. Reverb depth and time. For instance, on one of my demo song (I am I from Queensryche - Promise Land album) the snare drum has a deeper, longer and clearer sound on the T1s than on the D2K. I can hear and feel the depth of the sound after the initial hit from the drum stick, that's the way the engineer recorded the sound but it only comes through on headphones or speakers capable of resolving that detail. It just makes the overall sound experience richer when details far in the background are actually heard, even if faint, they are there and add to the enjoyement.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 

Listen to someone on speaker phone who is talking in a reverberating space. Then you will hear the decay loud and clear.

SO short decay means more detailed and defined sound in general.

Tank you :-)

post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 

 

 

SO short decay means more detailed and defined sound in general.

Tank you :-)

 

Actually no. Clear and long decay, that can be clearly heard as a discrete entity and well separated from music that is playing is a sign of detailed and refined sound. The kind of sound that gives you insight into the acoustics of the recording space. On the other hand, short, indistinct, inaudible and or muddy decay is a sign of poor resolution.

post #48 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 

Actually no. Clear and long decay, that can be clearly heard as a discrete entity and well separated from music that is playing is a sign of detailed and refined sound. The kind of sound that gives you insight into the acoustics of the recording space. On the other hand, short, indistinct, inaudible and or muddy decay is a sign of poor resolution.

Exactly !!

 

That's what I was trying to say in my earlier post. Thanks Hooster :-)

Riker

post #49 of 58
Thread Starter 

The more I read, the more I don't know where to turn.

 

So, now I am considering LCD2 rev 2 because of their excellent bass extension and overall great sound. And from what I read they are comfortable even if they are heavy. My Anedio D2 should be able to drive those.

 

Still on my very short list is the Denon AH-D7000 (fostex) but I am slightly worried about their "smiley faced" eq.

 

The LCD3 I can't afford, neither the Stax 009.. out of my budget.

 

And there is still the HD800.. I can get them used for $1100 including a moon audio balanced cable and shipping. they are in mint condish with all packaging.

 

But, my worry there is how does the HD800 match up with my Anedio D2 in terms of "brigthness" ? I've read that the HD800 have a spike in the high end / treble that can be annoying..

 

Nit picking ? ? maybe.. don't know..

 

Anyone here with some HD800s and a D2 ?

 

Riker

post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

The more I read, the more I don't know where to turn.

 

So, now I am considering LCD2 rev 2 because of their excellent bass extension and overall great sound. And from what I read they are comfortable even if they are heavy. My Anedio D2 should be able to drive those.

 

Still on my very short list is the Denon AH-D7000 (fostex) but I am slightly worried about their "smiley faced" eq.

 

The LCD3 I can't afford, neither the Stax 009.. out of my budget.

 

And there is still the HD800.. I can get them used for $1100 including a moon audio balanced cable and shipping. they are in mint condish with all packaging.

 

But, my worry there is how does the HD800 match up with my Anedio D2 in terms of "brigthness" ? I've read that the HD800 have a spike in the high end / treble that can be annoying..

 

Nit picking ? ? maybe.. don't know..

 

Anyone here with some HD800s and a D2 ?

 

Riker

You're making this a lot more complicated that what it really is. First off, I don't think you should be getting the HD800s. Those are really more for professional audio masters, not for the casual listener. They are huge, and most certainly are not portable. I'm almost certain that they aren't what you need. Plus, you need a really good amp to even be able to drive them effectively. Expensive doesn't always mean practical. Have you considered looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A900x? Or maybe even the W1000x.


Edited by AgentCOPP1 - 11/18/12 at 2:45pm
post #51 of 58
Thread Starter 

Hi Agent

 

I do some studio recording / engineering / mastering on the side, have been playing bass for 30 years and generally have a good ear and very decent 2 channel / HT gear. I am into listening to high quality sources and music and looking for a very comfortable headphone that has amazing sonic qualities inside of 2K.

 

My Anedio D2 DAC / Headphone amp can power pretty much anything out there, so I'm not worried about power.

 

I will check out the AT, Thanks !

 

 

Riker

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Hi Agent

 

I do some studio recording / engineering / mastering on the side, have been playing bass for 30 years and generally have a good ear and very decent 2 channel / HT gear. I am into listening to high quality sources and music and looking for a very comfortable headphone that has amazing sonic qualities inside of 2K.

 

My Anedio D2 DAC / Headphone amp can power pretty much anything out there, so I'm not worried about power.

 

I will check out the AT, Thanks !

 

 

Riker

Well, in that case I guess the HD800s might be a viable option for you lol. It's just that I see a lot of over-zealous audio green horns who want the best right off the bat on this forum. No people, there are steps you have to take!

post #53 of 58
Thread Starter 

Definitively not a green horn in audio :-) but headphone wise I've only very recently started looking into that so in that regards, you could say yes a am a bit of a newb :-)

 

So far in all that I have auditionned, the best "sounding" can was the Beyer T1. Having said that, they were not the most comfortable pair for me. They don't have the comfort level of the Denon D2K (on MY head). And I must point out that the Denon D2K was sounded very nice to me, but did not have the soundstage or the detail retrieval of the T1.

 

Like I said before, I love the Bass of the D2K but want the resolving power of the T1.

 

So, that's why I am now shifting gears a bit, and budget (higher), to try to get the most comfortable phones AND the best sounding ones inside of 2K CA all in.

 

On my new short list:

 

Audeze LCD2 rev 2

Denon D7000

Senn HD800

Beyer T1 (still there sound wise)

 

Not in:

Reviews of the HE-6 were not in my line of preference.

LCD3 too expensive

Stax 009 WAY too expensive for my buget

And a bunch more I have allready listenned to and concluded " not thanks".

 

 

Riker


Edited by Riker - 11/18/12 at 3:56pm
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

...

 

So, now I am considering LCD2 rev 2 because of their excellent bass extension and overall great sound. And from what I read they are comfortable even if they are heavy. 

 

..

 

 

Trust me, LCD2 is not comfortable. After owning HD800, T1 and AH-D7000, I don't use LCD2 anymore, but I don't want to sell it because I know I will be missing the bass and awesome mid. 

post #55 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

 

Trust me, LCD2 is not comfortable. After owning HD800, T1 and AH-D7000, I don't use LCD2 anymore, but I don't want to sell it because I know I will be missing the bass and awesome mid. 

Ah.. thanks for the info. Definitively want something very comfortable. Of the HD800, AH-D7000 and T1 which one do you personally feel is most comfortable ?

post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Ah.. thanks for the info. Definitively want something very comfortable. Of the HD800, AH-D7000 and T1 which one do you personally feel is most comfortable ?

Comfort-wise I say HD800 tops the rest, then T1 then AH-D7000 for me.

 

AH-D7000 is still ok except that the headband is not as soft as HD800 or T1, the earcups on AH-D7000 is bit like LCD2, thinner in front and thicker at the back which will give you frontal clamping force in a long session.

post #57 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian411 View Post

Comfort-wise I say HD800 tops the rest, then T1 then AH-D7000 for me.

 

AH-D7000 is still ok except that the headband is not as soft as HD800 or T1, the earcups on AH-D7000 is bit like LCD2, thinner in front and thicker at the back which will give you frontal clamping force in a long session.

Interesting, for me, I found the Denon AH-D2000 to be more comfortable than the Beyer T1. The T1 had to much clamping force, especially on my jaw bones.

 

I have not tried the D7K or the HD800. If the D7K is the same or better than D2K, I would be fine with that level of comfort.

post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

Interesting, for me, I found the Denon AH-D2000 to be more comfortable than the Beyer T1. The T1 had to much clamping force, especially on my jaw bones.

 

I have not tried the D7K or the HD800. If the D7K is the same or better than D2K, I would be fine with that level of comfort.

Comfortwise, both D7k and D2k are the same IMO. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Advice required