Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality? - Page 6

post #76 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

It's a joke about the new iPod's looking like the Nokia Lumia line.
Well the "joke" makes no sense.

As for the sq of an iPod touch/iPhone, it's not "midline",...it's excellent. But the Lumia 920 sounds fantastic with the headphones I use with it, which happens to be my Incase Sonic cans. Does the L920 sound better than an iPhone? I have no idea, nor do I care. The sq is wonderful for my application, and that's what I care about.

Recording wise, I have no idea,...rolleyes.gif
post #77 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


Well the "joke" makes no sense.
As for the sq of an iPod touch/iPhone, it's not "midline",...it's excellent. But the Lumia 920 sounds fantastic with the headphones I use with it, which happens to be my Incase Sonic cans. Does the L920 sound better than an iPhone? I have no idea, nor do I care. The sq is wonderful for my application, and that's what I care about.
Recording wise, I have no idea,...rolleyes.gif

Having heard iPod's and having heard "excellent" I can say that they are not the same thing. A lot of people readily recognize that iPod's lack in the SQ department, and iPhones will be the same story. It is midline.

post #78 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

Having heard iPod's and having heard "excellent" I can say that they are not the same thing. A lot of people readily recognize that iPod's lack in the SQ department, and iPhones will be the same story. It is midline.

What's your idea of "excellent" then? popcorn.gif

post #79 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

Having heard iPod's and having heard "excellent" I can say that they are not the same thing. A lot of people readily recognize that iPod's lack in the SQ department, and iPhones will be the same story. It is midline.
Lol!!! Midline? I believe you actually don't know what you're talking about. Especially since the classic & the new iPod touch 5G are excellent in the sq dept. This is not only via testing but via actual listening to them. And the touch equals any custom EQ'd device via quite a few apps available. Add an amp and they are a match for any player available.

Like someone else asked:

"what's your idea of "excellent" then?"
post #80 of 137

I am getting one of these for Christmas. Great to hear good quality coming out of them. Has anyone listened to Nokia Music? How is the quality of the streaming?

post #81 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

What's your idea of "excellent" then? popcorn.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


Lol!!! Midline? I believe you actually don't know what you're talking about. Especially since the classic & the new iPod touch 5G are excellent in the sq dept. This is not only via testing but via actual listening to them. And the touch equals any custom EQ'd device via quite a few apps available. Add an amp and they are a match for any player available.
Like someone else asked:
"what's your idea of "excellent" then?"

The Classic has been looked down upon for switching from a Wolfson DAC to a Cirrus one. Of course back then it was the "Video". I have heard very mixed things at this point about the new Touch, since a few people I've known who always loved the Touch have sworn off this new one after hearing it, while others swear by its audio quality. Of course I've also seen people swearing by Apple Maps, where as most just swear at it.

I'll admit I haven't heard the newest iPod line-up I have heard the previous generations and was not impressed. I found they were all easily trounced by my Cowon J3, and my Cowon lost out to my Walkman Z. So this is where I stand today.

If you have anything further you would like to address on the subject, take it up in a PM. This thread has gotten far enough off topic as it is.

 

 

Any word on the internals of the Lumia 920?

post #82 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldZ View Post

I am getting one of these for Christmas. Great to hear good quality coming out of them. Has anyone listened to Nokia Music? How is the quality of the streaming?
Nokia Music will play your tracks as well as stream. I haven't done the streaming tho, but I did download some stuff (it's free to us Nokia users smily_headphones1.gif). The sq was quite good,...but it's excellent for free!!!
post #83 of 137

Was looking at upgrading my phone. The Lumia did not cross my mine and I was looking at sony for their Xperia range since I figured that would have great sound quality. I am truely tempted by this player. 

post #84 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

The Classic has been looked down upon for switching from a Wolfson DAC to a Cirrus one. Of course back then it was the "Video". I have heard very mixed things at this point about the new Touch, since a few people I've known who always loved the Touch have sworn off this new one after hearing it, while others swear by its audio quality. Of course I've also seen people swearing by Apple Maps, where as most just swear at it.
I'll admit I haven't heard the newest iPod line-up I have heard the previous generations and was not impressed. I found they were all easily trounced by my Cowon J3, and my Cowon lost out to my Walkman Z. So this is where I stand today.
If you have anything further you would like to address on the subject, take it up in a PM. This thread has gotten far enough off topic as it is.


Any word on the internals of the Lumia 920?
ok, the cirrus logic chips are the superior DAC. And the iPod touch, especially when using a wonderful app such as EQu, Equalizer, or a few others, equals the Cowon lineup when it comes to sound quality laden sound enhancements. As for Apple maps & the joke update called iOS 6 - that has nothing to do with this conversation,...eh??? I've owned & own Cowon, Sony, Samsung, Sansa, Archos, Creative, iRiver, Apple, etc. each has pluses & minuses,...BUT don't pass judgement based on hearsay & speculation. I base my opinions on testing,...the current iPod touch is the best so far in the touch lineup. It's excellent & I'll have one shortly.

And, I don't think I need bother wasting my time with a pm. I think we're done here,...

As for internals, I've seen everything but the audio chip. It would be nice to know what it is.
post #85 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post

 

The Classic has been looked down upon for switching from a Wolfson DAC to a Cirrus one. Of course back then it was the "Video". I have heard very mixed things at this point about the new Touch, since a few people I've known who always loved the Touch have sworn off this new one after hearing it, while others swear by its audio quality. Of course I've also seen people swearing by Apple Maps, where as most just swear at it.

I'll admit I haven't heard the newest iPod line-up I have heard the previous generations and was not impressed. I found they were all easily trounced by my Cowon J3, and my Cowon lost out to my Walkman Z. So this is where I stand today.

If you have anything further you would like to address on the subject, take it up in a PM. This thread has gotten far enough off topic as it is.

 

 

Any word on the internals of the Lumia 920?

On another forum I have read that the new Touch beats out the old one with regard to SQ, depending on whether or not you have the iems to articulate this.. For me it sounds just about the same, which is to say, excellent.

 

Sony or Cowon (which I used to use) aren't any better.


Edited by Dreamnine - 11/27/12 at 3:29am
post #86 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post

On another forum I have read that the new Touch beats out the old one with regard to SQ, depending on whether or not you have the iems to articulate this.. For me it sounds just about the same, which is to say, excellent.

Sony or Cowon (which I used to use) aren't any better.
Thanks Dreamnine. I can always count on you to be the voice of reason. I know I don't/won't have the iem's to tell the difference either. I'm quite satisfied with my L920. I'd say the same about my iPod touch 4G, but my youngest son heisted it from me.
post #87 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


Thanks Dreamnine. I can always count on you to be the voice of reason. I know I don't/won't have the iem's to tell the difference either. I'm quite satisfied with my L920. I'd say the same about my iPod touch 4G, but my youngest son heisted it from me.

 

Then you should like the 5G - it's quite an upgrade in terms of screen quality, RAM, processor etc.

 

The only thing Apple did to the sound - as far as I can tell - is add a 'Late Night' EQ preset which I quite enjoy with my Beyers..otherwise I have it on flat and it sounds excellent.

post #88 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post

Then you should like the 5G - it's quite an upgrade in terms of screen quality, RAM, processor etc.

The only thing Apple did to the sound - as far as I can tell - is add a 'Late Night' EQ preset which I quite enjoy with my Beyers..otherwise I have it on flat and it sounds excellent.
I think the 5G is what my wife is getting me for the holidays,...shhh!!! tongue.gif
Edited by tds101 - 11/27/12 at 8:06am
post #89 of 137
why keep talking about apple.this thread is about 920 sc
post #90 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by live1 View Post

why keep talking about apple.this thread is about 920 sc

Would you like to ask a question? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?