The searches I've run in the Forums identify J&R and B&H as places to see a lot of the higher-end headphone on display. I'm interested in finding a place in NYC (Manhattan, ideally) that will allow me to listen to different models under proper conditions (i.e., a proper headphone amp). Any recommendations, or is J&R and B&H still the places to try? And, yes, I'll buy from a place that provides this customer service. Many thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Warm Transparent Closed Backs Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help- so many headphones- so little knowledge. Last post on 10/30/12 at 7:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop Last post on 10/18/12 at 12:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for durable headphones for ~150$ Last post on 10/15/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
First Impressions: Well, when I first used these, I used them in the same place I'd expect myself to continue using these, on the go from place to place, and while at places outside the...
I bought these this week from amazon.co.uk for £10 including delivery. That's US $15. Packaging, appearance, warranty, euro-nanny knows best: Mine arrived in the small European packaging box,...
Absolutely beautiful little player. It's just a gorgeous chunk of tech that feels good to hold. For me personally tech has to have form as well as function and the AK120 doesn't disappoint on...
I agree w most reviews that these does not warrant the $499 MSRP. (Then rather opt for D5k, D7k). BUT - at the +-$230 range I got them at (Amazon warehouse) - these are VERY good value for...
Disclaimer- This review has been written based on past 2 year’s observations. I am not a part of the audio industry or trade and I represent no one but myself, and this review is written...
Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?post #1 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58amThread Starterpost #2 of 1411/9/12 at 1:50pmpost #3 of 1411/9/12 at 5:26pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1411/9/12 at 6:03pmpost #5 of 1411/9/12 at 7:44pm
I'd recommend the place from where I purchased my Focal Spirit Ones recently. Lyric Hi Fi, 1221 Lexington Avenue, NY 10028 T. (212) 439-1900.
They had many nicies to listen to. But I was only looking for a closed headphone at the time and the Focal was the only choice I listened to. They had a hi quality source driven thru an Antique Sound Lab head amp (the one that lists for around $500 ; thinking of picking that up ... but I digress).
post #6 of 1411/9/12 at 10:59pm
There's also AudioCubes aka "AC Gears".
But the best "place" to listen to headphones is at a meet, not a store. The next NYC-area meet is planned for 4/20 next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013post #7 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58pm
But they've gotten much more ''budget' lately. I bought my ATH-ESW9 headphones there in the past. They would not carry it today due to its cost (I'm not making that up; the sales people are the ones that told me that).
post #8 of 1411/13/12 at 3:59pmpost #9 of 1411/14/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by seeasea
They upgraded their display, and are now driven with a tascam multi track, and the headphones can be unplugged to listen directly from your own source. (PS, if you ask nicely, they will even let you try on the really high end stuff not on diplay such as ED10, ED8, Sigpro etc)
Are you talking about AudioCubes or B&H?post #10 of 1411/14/12 at 9:36pmpost #11 of 1411/15/12 at 8:55pmpost #12 of 1411/16/12 at 2:35pm
Surprising. They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now. So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.post #13 of 1411/16/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
They didn't let that happen for me. Had to cough up the money (and return it) to listen.
On a related note, audeze's website lists woo audio as a dealer in elmhurst, queens.
- Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?
- Headphone Impedance
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 12 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated: 5/23/2013.... 30 seconds ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 53 seconds ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 2 minutes ago
- › Will This Be Called The Westone "Epic" Tip? 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Balanced Mod 5 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S - Any Reviews Yet? 6 minutes ago
- › Looking to upgrade from AKG K702 8 minutes ago
- › JVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black... by daleb
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe