The searches I've run in the Forums identify J&R and B&H as places to see a lot of the higher-end headphone on display. I'm interested in finding a place in NYC (Manhattan, ideally) that will allow me to listen to different models under proper conditions (i.e., a proper headphone amp). Any recommendations, or is J&R and B&H still the places to try? And, yes, I'll buy from a place that provides this customer service. Many thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Warm Transparent Closed Backs Last post on 3/14/13 at 9:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help- so many headphones- so little knowledge. Last post on 10/30/12 at 7:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop Last post on 10/18/12 at 12:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for durable headphones for ~150$ Last post on 10/15/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?post #1 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58amThread Starterpost #2 of 1411/9/12 at 1:50pmpost #3 of 1411/9/12 at 5:26pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1411/9/12 at 6:03pmpost #5 of 1411/9/12 at 7:44pm
I'd recommend the place from where I purchased my Focal Spirit Ones recently. Lyric Hi Fi, 1221 Lexington Avenue, NY 10028 T. (212) 439-1900.
They had many nicies to listen to. But I was only looking for a closed headphone at the time and the Focal was the only choice I listened to. They had a hi quality source driven thru an Antique Sound Lab head amp (the one that lists for around $500 ; thinking of picking that up ... but I digress).
post #6 of 1411/9/12 at 10:59pm
There's also AudioCubes aka "AC Gears".
But the best "place" to listen to headphones is at a meet, not a store. The next NYC-area meet is planned for 4/20 next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013post #7 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58pm
But they've gotten much more ''budget' lately. I bought my ATH-ESW9 headphones there in the past. They would not carry it today due to its cost (I'm not making that up; the sales people are the ones that told me that).
post #8 of 1411/13/12 at 3:59pmpost #9 of 1411/14/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by seeasea
They upgraded their display, and are now driven with a tascam multi track, and the headphones can be unplugged to listen directly from your own source. (PS, if you ask nicely, they will even let you try on the really high end stuff not on diplay such as ED10, ED8, Sigpro etc)
Are you talking about AudioCubes or B&H?post #10 of 1411/14/12 at 9:36pmpost #11 of 1411/15/12 at 8:55pmpost #12 of 1411/16/12 at 2:35pm
Surprising. They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now. So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.post #13 of 1411/16/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
They didn't let that happen for me. Had to cough up the money (and return it) to listen.
On a related note, audeze's website lists woo audio as a dealer in elmhurst, queens.
- Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?
- Headphone Impedance
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 15 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 17 seconds ago
- › Norse Audio: Feedback & Impression Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 49 seconds ago
- › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 Hybrid IEM (Stealth) - Sennheiser IE800... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe