The searches I've run in the Forums identify J&R and B&H as places to see a lot of the higher-end headphone on display. I'm interested in finding a place in NYC (Manhattan, ideally) that will allow me to listen to different models under proper conditions (i.e., a proper headphone amp). Any recommendations, or is J&R and B&H still the places to try? And, yes, I'll buy from a place that provides this customer service. Many thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Warm Transparent Closed Backs Last post on 8/20/13 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help- so many headphones- so little knowledge. Last post on 10/30/12 at 7:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop Last post on 10/18/12 at 12:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for durable headphones for ~150$ Last post on 10/15/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?post #1 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1411/9/12 at 1:50pmpost #3 of 1411/9/12 at 5:26pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1411/9/12 at 6:03pmpost #5 of 1411/9/12 at 7:44pm
I'd recommend the place from where I purchased my Focal Spirit Ones recently. Lyric Hi Fi, 1221 Lexington Avenue, NY 10028 T. (212) 439-1900.
They had many nicies to listen to. But I was only looking for a closed headphone at the time and the Focal was the only choice I listened to. They had a hi quality source driven thru an Antique Sound Lab head amp (the one that lists for around $500 ; thinking of picking that up ... but I digress).
post #6 of 1411/9/12 at 10:59pm
There's also AudioCubes aka "AC Gears".
But the best "place" to listen to headphones is at a meet, not a store. The next NYC-area meet is planned for 4/20 next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013post #7 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58pm
But they've gotten much more ''budget' lately. I bought my ATH-ESW9 headphones there in the past. They would not carry it today due to its cost (I'm not making that up; the sales people are the ones that told me that).
post #8 of 1411/13/12 at 3:59pmpost #9 of 1411/14/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by seeasea
They upgraded their display, and are now driven with a tascam multi track, and the headphones can be unplugged to listen directly from your own source. (PS, if you ask nicely, they will even let you try on the really high end stuff not on diplay such as ED10, ED8, Sigpro etc)
Are you talking about AudioCubes or B&H?post #10 of 1411/14/12 at 9:36pmpost #11 of 1411/15/12 at 8:55pmpost #12 of 1411/16/12 at 2:35pm
Surprising. They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now. So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.post #13 of 1411/16/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
They didn't let that happen for me. Had to cough up the money (and return it) to listen.
On a related note, audeze's website lists woo audio as a dealer in elmhurst, queens.
- Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Music > Gaming > Movie All-round Cans 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions... 3 minutes ago
- › No diffence in sound quality with amp 3 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-W1000X PRICEDROP!! 4 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 13 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 14 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi