The searches I've run in the Forums identify J&R and B&H as places to see a lot of the higher-end headphone on display. I'm interested in finding a place in NYC (Manhattan, ideally) that will allow me to listen to different models under proper conditions (i.e., a proper headphone amp). Any recommendations, or is J&R and B&H still the places to try? And, yes, I'll buy from a place that provides this customer service. Many thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for Headphones with Style and Substance Last post on 9/9/12 at 8:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Warm Transparent Closed Backs Last post on 8/20/13 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help- so many headphones- so little knowledge. Last post on 10/30/12 at 7:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop Last post on 10/18/12 at 12:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for durable headphones for ~150$ Last post on 10/15/12 at 8:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?post #1 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58amThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 1411/9/12 at 1:50pmpost #3 of 1411/9/12 at 5:26pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1411/9/12 at 6:03pmpost #5 of 1411/9/12 at 7:44pm
I'd recommend the place from where I purchased my Focal Spirit Ones recently. Lyric Hi Fi, 1221 Lexington Avenue, NY 10028 T. (212) 439-1900.
They had many nicies to listen to. But I was only looking for a closed headphone at the time and the Focal was the only choice I listened to. They had a hi quality source driven thru an Antique Sound Lab head amp (the one that lists for around $500 ; thinking of picking that up ... but I digress).
post #6 of 1411/9/12 at 10:59pm
There's also AudioCubes aka "AC Gears".
But the best "place" to listen to headphones is at a meet, not a store. The next NYC-area meet is planned for 4/20 next year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634922/official-ny-regional-spring-meet-april-20-2013post #7 of 1411/9/12 at 11:58pm
But they've gotten much more ''budget' lately. I bought my ATH-ESW9 headphones there in the past. They would not carry it today due to its cost (I'm not making that up; the sales people are the ones that told me that).
post #8 of 1411/13/12 at 3:59pmpost #9 of 1411/14/12 at 5:29pmQuote:Originally Posted by seeasea
They upgraded their display, and are now driven with a tascam multi track, and the headphones can be unplugged to listen directly from your own source. (PS, if you ask nicely, they will even let you try on the really high end stuff not on diplay such as ED10, ED8, Sigpro etc)
Are you talking about AudioCubes or B&H?post #10 of 1411/14/12 at 9:36pmpost #11 of 1411/15/12 at 8:55pmpost #12 of 1411/16/12 at 2:35pm
Surprising. They won't bring lenses up from stock that they don't have out to try-out on my Pentax anymore; so I go to Adorama and buy from them now. So surprised they'll take the hi-end phones out.post #13 of 1411/16/12 at 3:29pmQuote:
They didn't let that happen for me. Had to cough up the money (and return it) to listen.
On a related note, audeze's website lists woo audio as a dealer in elmhurst, queens.
- Place to Listen to High-End Headphones in NYC?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › FS: Marantz CD5004 + Power Conditioner **Mint Condition** 37 seconds ago
- › [COMPARISON / REVIEW] The Quads: Westone W4R vs. Logitech UE 900... 41 seconds ago
- › New UE6000s on sale for 39.99 after rebate - tiger direct 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit pg 18. IMGS pg... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audio stores in Kansas city 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 5 minutes ago
- › Winter 2014 AAMML Holiday Exchange 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1 (in UK) 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe