Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Flat response for less than $100?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flat response for less than $100?

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

I have a SoundMAGIC PL-30 IEM, and I was wondering if there was a full-size headphone within $100 or less that has the same mid-range detail and flat response of the PL-30. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed, although a portability could be useful. Bass should be just right, not boomy, but with more quantity than the PL-30. Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif



EDIT: I upped my budget to $150, seeing as it's quite hard to find what I need at that price point. biggrin.gif

UPDATE: I'm currently considering the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD518, KRK KNS-6400 and Brainwavz HM5. Will update as I audition each headphone. biggrin.gif
Edited by nikkojames15 - 11/16/12 at 8:56am
post #2 of 49

Are you against using EQ?

post #3 of 49

Shure SRH440 are your friend, stick some SRH840 pads on for extra comfort

post #4 of 49

You may want to look at the Sony MDR-ZX700:

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-zx700.php

 

The same goes for the Sony MDR-V6:

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-v6.php

 

The Shure SRH440 is also very mid-centric.

 

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh440.php

post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkojames15 View Post

I have a SoundMAGIC PL-30 IEM, and I was wondering if there was a full-size headphone within $100 or less that has the same mid-range detail and flat response of the PL-30. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed, although a portability could be useful. Bass should be just right, not boomy, but with more quantity than the PL-30. Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif

 

Heya,

 

AKG K240 for $80

 

Very best,

post #6 of 49
Sony MDR-V6.
post #7 of 49

I think the only headphone i've seen that measures flat for under $100 is the KRK KNS-6400.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it really sounds that way biggrin.gif

 

Sorry, but the V6 sounds rather V-shaped to me. Sounds like it has some mid-bass hump, a dip in the lower mids somewhere and then extra treble.

 

I like the K240 Studio suggestion, but it does have a slight mid-bass hump. I actually think it's probably more balanced sounding than the V6.

 

There's also the M30..

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I think the only headphone i've seen that measures flat for under $100 is the KRK KNS-6400.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it really sounds that way biggrin.gif

 

Seconded. 

Its an impressive studio headphone for under $100. 

post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Shure SRH440 are your friend, stick some SRH840 pads on for extra comfort

i agree on this one, very detailed set of cans too
though im not don't know about the srh840 pads

post #10 of 49

The Sony V-6 is your classic. Can't go wrong there. It should be on your short list. Haven't heard the others mentioned here. 

post #11 of 49

The V6 sounds very good for the price (I paid $70) with honest mids and treble but they are not flat down low at all, as the OP requested. The sub bass is very enhanced and can be "boomy" on tracks that reach down low enough.


Edited by machoboy - 11/9/12 at 3:44pm
post #12 of 49

If you get the V6, you're going to want to EQ the upper mids, lower treble down some.  It's a bright headphone, deviating from neutral.

post #13 of 49
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Currently I'm looking at the Shure and the MDR-V6.. Not sure if I could find a local dealer of the KRK though. I hate buying online..
 

post #14 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Are you against using EQ?


Not really, I just like the flat sound signature, and I currently suck at parametric EQing..

post #15 of 49

I asked because it will be near impossible get very neutral sound for such low price, but if you get something that's very balanced to begin with, you can always fine-tweak it using EQ.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Flat response for less than $100?