Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › What is a headphone amp? Should i get one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is a headphone amp? Should i get one?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Does it make the sound noticeable better? 
does just increase the possible volumes? 

if you want to be specific should i get an amp for the shure srh750dj 

Thank you!


Edited by troncho10 - 11/7/12 at 7:26pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by troncho10 View Post

Does it make the sound noticeable better? 
does just increase the possible volumes? 

if you want to be specific should i get an amp for the shure srh750dj

It would help to know what your plugging the headphones into (sources)?

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

It would help to know what your plugging the headphones into (sources)?

either a desktop computer (realtek hd soundcard) or samsung galaxy s3 

Thank you

post #4 of 5

Anything is better than a built in soundcard like that, so YES, you need an amp or a better sound card. No one deserves to be left with one such as a Realtek that cares about audio.
 

post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

Anything is better than a built in soundcard like that, so YES, you need an amp or a better sound card. No one deserves to be left with one such as a Realtek that cares about audio.
 

 

That's quite an over-generalization. Will the sound be improved? The answer is maybe.

 

I have two computers, with two different models of built-in Realtek sound hardware, and they both produce very good audio. To my ears, my Matrix M-Stage and O2+ODAC are generally superior, occasionally but a large margin, , but not always. OTOH, they're never bettered by my built-in audio. My headphones include the DT 990 and HD 650. 

 

There are plenty of badly designed, marginally tested, and/or poorly constructed DAC's and amplifiers. Any reasonable Realtek implementation will be noticeably superior.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › What is a headphone amp? Should i get one?