New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Learning to listen

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Today I received my first external DAC, a Maverick D1 ( with the tube and opamp upgrades ), and I believe it sounds better than just listening directly to my Macbook Pro.  In the past while listening to vinyl one of the things I noticed was the percussion was a lot easier to discern from the "background" and I'm noticing a bit of that now. I guess my question is how does one learn what to listen for? A lot of A/B listening?

post #2 of 10

The most obvious difference I've noticed is that the clarity improves, and separation, meaning you can distinguish individual sounds better.

Sometimes the stereo imaging may also improve.

 

Beyond that its about balance.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyarntz View Post

Today I received my first external DAC, a Maverick D1 ( with the tube and opamp upgrades ), and I believe it sounds better than just listening directly to my Macbook Pro.  In the past while listening to vinyl one of the things I noticed was the percussion was a lot easier to discern from the "background" and I'm noticing a bit of that now. I guess my question is how does one learn what to listen for? A lot of A/B listening?

Time listening to things you are familiar with. All with become apparent.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyarntz View Post

Today I received my first external DAC, a Maverick D1 ( with the tube and opamp upgrades ), and I believe it sounds better than just listening directly to my Macbook Pro.  In the past while listening to vinyl one of the things I noticed was the percussion was a lot easier to discern from the "background" and I'm noticing a bit of that now. I guess my question is how does one learn what to listen for? A lot of A/B listening?


im actually considering the Maverick D1 as a future purchase so im interested, what type of files do you run? is it mp3?

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


im actually considering the Maverick D1 as a future purchase so im interested, what type of files do you run? is it mp3?

 

I'm in the process of ripping all my CD's to FLAC. I've also purchased an album from HDtracks.com.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomomma1 View Post


Time listening to things you are familiar with. All with become apparent.

 

I guess I just need to be patient and listen. :)

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyarntz View Post

I guess I just need to be patient and listen. smily_headphones1.gif

And don't be disheartened by the very few people on here that may have a bee in their bonnet on certain topics or views. Just enjoy
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyarntz View Post

 

I guess I just need to be patient and listen. :)


And it would also help to be open to the sound...don't expect anything beforehand, then you'll be able to appreciate the differences better.

post #9 of 10

With my white 7,1 Macbook I hear this buzzing that is not present when using external solutions. This is a common problem with computers in general, if you're experiencing the said problem before, you should be able to hear that it's gone now with the D1

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post


And it would also help to be open to the sound...don't expect anything beforehand, then you'll be able to appreciate the differences better.

indeed :3, I'm soon to get a DAC and Tube amp combo my self!

 

Another way to get better as listening it go into Best Buy and try EVERY HEAD PHONE THEY HAVE, with 2 songs you are farmillar with. This can help you get an idea of what differtent sounds are like in acutality. Like hearing what "colored" is or "tinny" or"honky" or "airy" I did and despite being fun I did learn a little! This my help more with hearing differeances within head phones but it's also nice to hear some pretty terrible cans to make you love yours more! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home