Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5gen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod 5.5gen

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Hey guys
I am a music lover and always strive for better sound , I own an iPhone4s and have the sure535s
And I was recently reading that the older models of iPod have a better dac of the name of
Wolfson , in the comparison to the cirrus dac in the newer models ' wolfson dac was and is much
More superior apparently

I was thinking to purchase an iPod 5.5 gen iPod for that audio grade quality from the wolfson
And this is my question

If the wolfson dac is better in that model in particular what about using an eq on that model?
On my 4s I have a flac player where there is an onboard equaliser which is what it needs cos
The stock eq on the 4s is rubbish

So for example if I buy a iPod 5.5gen is there any way of getting an equaliser for it?
I know you can use apple lossless on iPod but what about eq settings , can anyone help
With this

Thanks guys.........
post #2 of 41
The wolfson chip is not superior, as it has bass rolloff. The cirrus logic chip is the better of the 2. It's flat across the board, producing no bass rolloff. And whoever is claiming the wolfson chip is better is either lying to you & themselves, or is a blind fanboi. rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 41

Yes ipod 5g/5.5g sounds excellent to these ears when they are rockboxed to play lossless (flac's) audio files. I say this NOT because I knew it has the wolfson sound chip. I ONLY knew it has the wolfson after the sound blew me away. I guess that speaks for the wolfson but I really don't care about wolfson only sound. wink_face.gif

 

The rockbox provides very good EQ's, but I hardly use it because it is not necessary to me.

post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
This was not only one persons opinion lots of people from lots of forums
Say the same thing how can so many people get it wrong ? All favour wolfson over cirrus?


Thanks for quick reply .........smily_headphones1.gif
post #5 of 41
Be patient, as I'm not the only person who will say that the wolfson chip isn't "superior". And RMAA testing is what also helped to proved the cirrus logic chips perform better & sound better.
post #6 of 41

The only proof that counts is to hear the sound yourself. If you don't like it then it is not for you regardless how good/bad the wolfson is.

post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

The only proof that counts is to hear the sound yourself. If you don't like it then it is not for you regardless how good/bad the wolfson is.
I agree,...
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


I agree,...

 

I am listening to my ipod 5g right now and it sounds perfect! I mean I don't know how it can get any better. Maybe it's because my music is perfect? L3000.gif

post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

Be patient, as I'm not the only person who will say that the wolfson chip isn't "superior". And RMAA testing is what also helped to proved the cirrus logic chips perform better & sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

The only proof that counts is to hear the sound yourself. If you don't like it then it is not for you regardless how good/bad the wolfson is.


Wolfson is overrated. My Classic 7G sounds better to me than my sister's 5G iPod Video. cool.gif
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 41
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input guys I will surely check out the sound from the wolfson
But just another quick question

Would my iPhone 4s with the sure535s benefit from a external dac like the fiio or other?

Would a dac change the sound signature ?

Thanks guys .......;
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post



Wolfson is overrated. My Classic 7G sounds better to me than my sister's 5G iPod Video. cool.gif
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
I'll be quite honest and say I prefer the sq of the Classic 7G better than the iPod Video 5.5G I have now. Eventually I'll go back to a Classic,...but what do I know? wink.gif
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post




Wolfson is overrated. My Classic 7G sounds better to me than my sister's 5G iPod Video. cool.gif
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

I think I have also overrated the wolfson since I have collected 600GB's of ipod 5g/5.5g. cool.gif

post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post

I think I have also overrated the wolfson since I have collected 600GB's of ipod 5g/5.5g. cool.gif
That statement actually makes no sense. You prefer the 5.5G,...I give you that. But the 5.5G is the lesser of the 2 (5.5G vs classic 7G). Facts are facts, and you just state an opinion. cool.gif
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post


That statement actually makes no sense. You prefer the 5.5G,...I give you that. But the 5.5G is the lesser of the 2 (5.5G vs classic 7G). Facts are facts, and you just state an opinion. cool.gif


The fact is my opinion is better than yours. Your opinion sucks. jkd. :)

post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMinor View Post


The fact is my opinion is better than yours. Your opinion sucks. jkd. smily_headphones1.gif
Hmm, you my be joking but your opening the door to a flame war,...against forum rules - not a good idea. rolleyes.gif
Edited by tds101 - 11/6/12 at 7:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod 5.5gen