- 59 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- brandAKGtagged by System, 11/7/12
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 11/7/12
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG new headphone K545? Last post on Today at 12:58 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was one thing that I wasn't too thrilled about. No mic or controls. I am a person constantly on the go, so most of my listening...
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
NEW! AKG K551 Silver unboxing video - Page 2post #16 of 5911/9/12 at 6:00pmSo Mike, these aren't worth our time? Stick with the K550s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5911/9/12 at 7:48pmpost #18 of 5911/11/12 at 6:32pmpost #19 of 5911/11/12 at 6:36pm
The cans are great in sound, comfort and the remote is very responsive. The volume up/down feature only works with apple products. the answer phone call button and play/pause button does work with android phones etc...post #20 of 5911/11/12 at 6:45pmpost #21 of 5911/11/12 at 10:50pmThread StarterAt this time, I can't say that the K551 is better than the K550. In fact, it is a lot less enjoyable for me on iPhone 4s or with amp. I'll break it in some more in hope of it improving. Stay tuned for more impressions.
BTW, the K551 is actually less efficient than the K550 on an iPhone. I was surprised by that.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 11/11/12 at 10:55pmpost #22 of 5911/12/12 at 2:44pm
I agree with you. I love the new color scheme of the K551, but if these initial impressions are true, then what's the point in even getting the K551? They don't even have the removable cable... AKG doesn't learn, you know. :(post #23 of 5911/13/12 at 11:35pmpost #24 of 5911/14/12 at 6:28am
Got myself K 550. The sound is just incredible (when you can get a good fit and seal, which is very hard) for the price! But the comfort is really awful! Really hard to get a good fit and the headband is rock hard, creates a hotspot on top of the head.
Kinda hit and miss. I wish it had velour pads. If this would have a HD600/650 comfort levet it would be hit!
Hope AKG will improve the comfort level with this sound!
Edited by MetalElvis - 11/14/12 at 6:31ampost #25 of 5911/15/12 at 7:55am
They are slowly settling in... the sound is great and the controls very responsive. sad about the cable though.. they are a little big for my head so might consider selling them if anyone interested..... i just got them last week.....post #26 of 5911/15/12 at 8:14am
Just picked up the K550's as well.. very anxious to hear your final impressions as I really wanted the portability, inline controls and shorter wire on the 551's. The white is SEXY too :)
Love the sound of the K550s - such a soundstage and spacious!!
Between all my phones (Beats Pro, M50, K702 and the JH13s), I think this one intrigued me the most. Wondering if I should return the 550s in hopes that the 551s will be equally as stellar?!!?
Do tell!! :Ppost #27 of 5911/16/12 at 2:59pmpost #28 of 5911/21/12 at 2:30am
Which ones are better sound wise, and which ones are better for public use like on the tram/bus?
Will both still be alright for public use?
I really actually wanted a good nois eisolating pair of headphones for public use, so initially I thought about the K550's because of the good design, sound quality and isolation. But what about the K551s, are they the same or better sound quality?
I mean they don't even have a gold plated cable so the sound is not the best.post #29 of 5911/21/12 at 6:21amThread Starterpost #30 of 5911/21/12 at 10:30amQuote:
Not at all?
I mean for listening on the bus when I'm sitting down...
I know they are not good for like walking around. Compared to Beats Pro, are they better or worse than K550s for portability?
And what affects its portability, the wire length, size or what else?
Similarly would the Sennheiser Momentum be a more portable alternative? And can they be compared in sound quality?
What about the AKG 272HD, are they better in sound quality than the k550s and the Momentum, and what about portability?
Edited by tino96 - 11/21/12 at 11:00am
- NEW! AKG K551 Silver unboxing video
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Basshead Club 37 seconds ago
- › Winter 2014 AAMML Holiday Exchange 50 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Grado SR225 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › How to connect sub to Audio engine a2? Help audio Gurus 3 minutes ago
- › Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013) 4 minutes ago
- › JBL Synchros S700 first impressions, vs V-Moda M100 and more. 4 minutes ago
- › What is your favourite IEM? 4 minutes ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe