- 59 Posts. Joined 2/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- brandAKGtagged by System, 11/7/12
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 11/7/12
- productAKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver)tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- looking for a pair of closed back headphones (over ear) for use out of the house up to a price... Last post on 11/6/13 at 1:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG new headphone K545? Last post on 4/18/14 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choosing Last post on 12/1/13 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
NEW! AKG K551 Silver unboxing video - Page 2post #16 of 6111/9/12 at 6:00pmSo Mike, these aren't worth our time? Stick with the K550s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 6111/9/12 at 7:48pmpost #18 of 6111/11/12 at 6:32pmpost #19 of 6111/11/12 at 6:36pm
The cans are great in sound, comfort and the remote is very responsive. The volume up/down feature only works with apple products. the answer phone call button and play/pause button does work with android phones etc...post #20 of 6111/11/12 at 6:45pmpost #21 of 6111/11/12 at 10:50pmThread StarterAt this time, I can't say that the K551 is better than the K550. In fact, it is a lot less enjoyable for me on iPhone 4s or with amp. I'll break it in some more in hope of it improving. Stay tuned for more impressions.
BTW, the K551 is actually less efficient than the K550 on an iPhone. I was surprised by that.
Edited by HiFiGuy528 - 11/11/12 at 10:55pmpost #22 of 6111/12/12 at 2:44pm
I agree with you. I love the new color scheme of the K551, but if these initial impressions are true, then what's the point in even getting the K551? They don't even have the removable cable... AKG doesn't learn, you know. :(post #23 of 6111/13/12 at 11:35pmpost #24 of 6111/14/12 at 6:28am
Got myself K 550. The sound is just incredible (when you can get a good fit and seal, which is very hard) for the price! But the comfort is really awful! Really hard to get a good fit and the headband is rock hard, creates a hotspot on top of the head.
Kinda hit and miss. I wish it had velour pads. If this would have a HD600/650 comfort levet it would be hit!
Hope AKG will improve the comfort level with this sound!
Edited by MetalElvis - 11/14/12 at 6:31ampost #25 of 6111/15/12 at 7:55am
They are slowly settling in... the sound is great and the controls very responsive. sad about the cable though.. they are a little big for my head so might consider selling them if anyone interested..... i just got them last week.....post #26 of 6111/15/12 at 8:14am
Just picked up the K550's as well.. very anxious to hear your final impressions as I really wanted the portability, inline controls and shorter wire on the 551's. The white is SEXY too :)
Love the sound of the K550s - such a soundstage and spacious!!
Between all my phones (Beats Pro, M50, K702 and the JH13s), I think this one intrigued me the most. Wondering if I should return the 550s in hopes that the 551s will be equally as stellar?!!?
Do tell!! :Ppost #27 of 6111/16/12 at 2:59pmpost #28 of 6111/21/12 at 2:30am
Which ones are better sound wise, and which ones are better for public use like on the tram/bus?
Will both still be alright for public use?
I really actually wanted a good nois eisolating pair of headphones for public use, so initially I thought about the K550's because of the good design, sound quality and isolation. But what about the K551s, are they the same or better sound quality?
I mean they don't even have a gold plated cable so the sound is not the best.post #29 of 6111/21/12 at 6:21amThread Starterpost #30 of 6111/21/12 at 10:30amQuote:
Not at all?
I mean for listening on the bus when I'm sitting down...
I know they are not good for like walking around. Compared to Beats Pro, are they better or worse than K550s for portability?
And what affects its portability, the wire length, size or what else?
Similarly would the Sennheiser Momentum be a more portable alternative? And can they be compared in sound quality?
What about the AKG 272HD, are they better in sound quality than the k550s and the Momentum, and what about portability?
Edited by tino96 - 11/21/12 at 11:00am
- NEW! AKG K551 Silver unboxing video
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 2 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › B&W P3 + Grado / Alessandro - Good combo? 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Which Headphone is next on your "To Buy" list? 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 3 minutes ago
- › New Marantz SA8005 - WINDOWS DRIVER BROKEN! 3 minutes ago
- › What do YOU consider to be the best source type? Turntable, CDP,... 5 minutes ago
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Duet 5 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob