- 5 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 11/11/12More
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productTakstar Pro 80tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones ~$100-250 with good soundstage for most genres, but mainly metal? Last post on 12/19/12 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $200 Over-Ear Headphones Last post on 1/28/13 at 7:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Over Ear Headphones - Under $200 Last post on 11/22/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i getpost #1 of 1711/5/12 at 11:08pmThread Starterso i was thinking about ath-m50's is there a better deal for under 200 or should i go with them
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1711/5/12 at 11:12pmpost #3 of 1711/5/12 at 11:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1711/5/12 at 11:16pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1711/5/12 at 11:24pmpost #6 of 1711/5/12 at 11:30pmQuote:
Right now it looks like there are some good deals on the ATH-M50s on eBay.
Also check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, $88 on eBay.post #7 of 1711/5/12 at 11:55pmpost #8 of 1711/6/12 at 4:12amAudio Technica M50s are nice all-rounders but their V-shaped sound isn't for everyone: some find it harsh in the highs while others love the somewhat laid back upper mids, some find it bass-heavy while others don't like the bloated and uncontrolled base when unamped... And so on.
I had some comfort issues when I tested it... These cans have a pretty strong clamping force.
I would consider the HD 558, too. If you can spend a little more and the weird color scheme doesn't bother you, take a look at the even better HD 598.
Edited by MrScratch - 11/6/12 at 4:14ampost #9 of 1711/6/12 at 4:33amAt around $200, assuming you're in the US and have Amazon, I would walk right past the M50. From the CAL you won't notice an "upgrade" - just a less comfortable and worse-imaging side-grade.
I would suggest either the Grado SR-225i or the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (the HFI-2400 are around $185 right now, they can go as high as $300 (MSRP is $329 and not enforced) - use the Camel and figure out if you should buy them a month early or not). Much better imaging/staging, more natural tonality, more comfortable, etc and both are still easily driven and well built like the M50. I would take either of these over the Sennheiser, personally, but the Sennheiser aren't bad headphones (they're just really...really...boring). You should also consider the AKG K701 (or whatever this week's version is named), which can sometimes be had for around $230-$250, and are a very (VERY) good headphone, and would absolutely be an upgrade from the CAL! (or the M50, or whatever) - less bass though. I'd put the Ultrasone and Grado on the same level, just not as well-rounded (the Grado have better tonality but worse staging, the Ultrasone the inverse, basically).post #10 of 1711/6/12 at 4:37ampost #11 of 1711/6/12 at 5:20am
Do not waste coin on the M50, since you already have the CAL!. Side-grade. At $200 you can get headphones leagues above the toy M50.
Ultrasone HFI 2400 ($189 new, shipped) Look up reviews; excellent headphone, great build, detachable cord, great sound stage, it's a very warm bassy can and is not overly bright.
Sony MA900 ($192 new, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, huge sound stage, neutralish with some warmth.
AudioTechnica A900X ($207 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; amazing headphone, as close to a D5000 sound that I've ever found at $200 mark, very warm, excellent vocals.
AKG Q701 ($197 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, big sound stage, very neutral with some added warmth.
Beyer DT990 PRO ($188 new, shipped) Look up reviews; good sound stage, bright, tons of bass, very comfortable and very durable.
Very best,post #12 of 1711/6/12 at 5:23ampost #13 of 1711/7/12 at 3:53am
This was my price point as well-- ended up getting the DT-990 for $150 from Amazon warehouse, so I have $50 left for an amp of some sort if what I have on hand doesn't drive them adequately.
One thing I realized listening to my ATH M-30 yesterday at work is how much ambient noise they're actually blocking out (mostly stuff coming in from the street during high traffic times). So I'm hoping that the open design of the 990 doesn't cause issues-- if it does, they'll be going back and I'll be looking at the A900 and maybe upping my price range a bit to consider stuff like the k550, m-100, and the forthcoming Tiesto-branded cans from AKG.post #14 of 1711/7/12 at 5:26am
- got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 12 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 1 minute ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 1 minute ago
- › London Head-Fi Meet Up - Summer 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum hurts my ears? 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 5 minutes ago
- › New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival... 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)