- 5 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 11/11/12More
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productTakstar Pro 80tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Headphones ~$100-250 with good soundstage for most genres, but mainly metal? Last post on 12/19/12 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- In need of headphones + amp for under 175$ Last post on 12/1/12 at 12:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Right now it looks like there are some good deals on the ATH-M50s on eBay.
Also check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, $88 on eBay.
I had some comfort issues when I tested it... These cans have a pretty strong clamping force.
I would consider the HD 558, too. If you can spend a little more and the weird color scheme doesn't bother you, take a look at the even better HD 598.
Edited by MrScratch - 11/6/12 at 4:14am
I would suggest either the Grado SR-225i or the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (the HFI-2400 are around $185 right now, they can go as high as $300 (MSRP is $329 and not enforced) - use the Camel and figure out if you should buy them a month early or not). Much better imaging/staging, more natural tonality, more comfortable, etc and both are still easily driven and well built like the M50. I would take either of these over the Sennheiser, personally, but the Sennheiser aren't bad headphones (they're just really...really...boring). You should also consider the AKG K701 (or whatever this week's version is named), which can sometimes be had for around $230-$250, and are a very (VERY) good headphone, and would absolutely be an upgrade from the CAL! (or the M50, or whatever) - less bass though. I'd put the Ultrasone and Grado on the same level, just not as well-rounded (the Grado have better tonality but worse staging, the Ultrasone the inverse, basically).
Do not waste coin on the M50, since you already have the CAL!. Side-grade. At $200 you can get headphones leagues above the toy M50.
Ultrasone HFI 2400 ($189 new, shipped) Look up reviews; excellent headphone, great build, detachable cord, great sound stage, it's a very warm bassy can and is not overly bright.
Sony MA900 ($192 new, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, huge sound stage, neutralish with some warmth.
AudioTechnica A900X ($207 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; amazing headphone, as close to a D5000 sound that I've ever found at $200 mark, very warm, excellent vocals.
AKG Q701 ($197 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, big sound stage, very neutral with some added warmth.
Beyer DT990 PRO ($188 new, shipped) Look up reviews; good sound stage, bright, tons of bass, very comfortable and very durable.
This was my price point as well-- ended up getting the DT-990 for $150 from Amazon warehouse, so I have $50 left for an amp of some sort if what I have on hand doesn't drive them adequately.
One thing I realized listening to my ATH M-30 yesterday at work is how much ambient noise they're actually blocking out (mostly stuff coming in from the street during high traffic times). So I'm hoping that the open design of the 990 doesn't cause issues-- if it does, they'll be going back and I'll be looking at the A900 and maybe upping my price range a bit to consider stuff like the k550, m-100, and the forthcoming Tiesto-branded cans from AKG.
- got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Balanced + single ended Sennheiser HD800 For Sale 23 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 38 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Open Headphones for ~$500 1 minute ago
- › NuPrime uDSD ($179, PCM384+DSD256 decoding) Portable USB DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth... 2 minutes ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › Earphones around $200 3 minutes ago
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › MEElectronics M-Duo by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2