- 5 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 11/11/12More
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productTakstar Pro 80tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones ~$100-250 with good soundstage for most genres, but mainly metal? Last post on 12/19/12 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $200 Over-Ear Headphones Last post on 1/28/13 at 7:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Over Ear Headphones - Under $200 Last post on 11/22/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i getpost #1 of 1711/5/12 at 11:08pmThread Starterso i was thinking about ath-m50's is there a better deal for under 200 or should i go with them
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1711/5/12 at 11:12pmpost #3 of 1711/5/12 at 11:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1711/5/12 at 11:16pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1711/5/12 at 11:24pmpost #6 of 1711/5/12 at 11:30pmQuote:
Right now it looks like there are some good deals on the ATH-M50s on eBay.
Also check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, $88 on eBay.post #7 of 1711/5/12 at 11:55pmpost #8 of 1711/6/12 at 4:12amAudio Technica M50s are nice all-rounders but their V-shaped sound isn't for everyone: some find it harsh in the highs while others love the somewhat laid back upper mids, some find it bass-heavy while others don't like the bloated and uncontrolled base when unamped... And so on.
I had some comfort issues when I tested it... These cans have a pretty strong clamping force.
I would consider the HD 558, too. If you can spend a little more and the weird color scheme doesn't bother you, take a look at the even better HD 598.
Edited by MrScratch - 11/6/12 at 4:14ampost #9 of 1711/6/12 at 4:33amAt around $200, assuming you're in the US and have Amazon, I would walk right past the M50. From the CAL you won't notice an "upgrade" - just a less comfortable and worse-imaging side-grade.
I would suggest either the Grado SR-225i or the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (the HFI-2400 are around $185 right now, they can go as high as $300 (MSRP is $329 and not enforced) - use the Camel and figure out if you should buy them a month early or not). Much better imaging/staging, more natural tonality, more comfortable, etc and both are still easily driven and well built like the M50. I would take either of these over the Sennheiser, personally, but the Sennheiser aren't bad headphones (they're just really...really...boring). You should also consider the AKG K701 (or whatever this week's version is named), which can sometimes be had for around $230-$250, and are a very (VERY) good headphone, and would absolutely be an upgrade from the CAL! (or the M50, or whatever) - less bass though. I'd put the Ultrasone and Grado on the same level, just not as well-rounded (the Grado have better tonality but worse staging, the Ultrasone the inverse, basically).post #10 of 1711/6/12 at 4:37ampost #11 of 1711/6/12 at 5:20am
Do not waste coin on the M50, since you already have the CAL!. Side-grade. At $200 you can get headphones leagues above the toy M50.
Ultrasone HFI 2400 ($189 new, shipped) Look up reviews; excellent headphone, great build, detachable cord, great sound stage, it's a very warm bassy can and is not overly bright.
Sony MA900 ($192 new, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, huge sound stage, neutralish with some warmth.
AudioTechnica A900X ($207 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; amazing headphone, as close to a D5000 sound that I've ever found at $200 mark, very warm, excellent vocals.
AKG Q701 ($197 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, big sound stage, very neutral with some added warmth.
Beyer DT990 PRO ($188 new, shipped) Look up reviews; good sound stage, bright, tons of bass, very comfortable and very durable.
Very best,post #12 of 1711/6/12 at 5:23ampost #13 of 1711/7/12 at 3:53am
This was my price point as well-- ended up getting the DT-990 for $150 from Amazon warehouse, so I have $50 left for an amp of some sort if what I have on hand doesn't drive them adequately.
One thing I realized listening to my ATH M-30 yesterday at work is how much ambient noise they're actually blocking out (mostly stuff coming in from the street during high traffic times). So I'm hoping that the open design of the 990 doesn't cause issues-- if it does, they'll be going back and I'll be looking at the A900 and maybe upping my price range a bit to consider stuff like the k550, m-100, and the forthcoming Tiesto-branded cans from AKG.post #14 of 1711/7/12 at 5:26am
- got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Does a vintage receiver cut it as a headphone amplifier? 22 seconds ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? ( updated on 7/11/2014) 1 minute ago
- › Some New Sennheiser Phones: The Ninety-Five Line 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio HDH50 - the successor to the popular Q40 3 minutes ago
- › JVC FX850 vs Sony XBA-A3 4 minutes ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Aurix 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 7 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)