- 5 Posts. Joined 5/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productLogitech UE 6000tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 11/11/12More
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productTakstar Pro 80tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-780tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones ~$100-250 with good soundstage for most genres, but mainly metal? Last post on 12/19/12 at 8:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- $200 Over-Ear Headphones Last post on 1/28/13 at 7:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Over Ear Headphones - Under $200 Last post on 11/22/12 at 6:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
For several years now, Astrotec has been a name familiar to enthusiasts as a manufacturer of value-conscious, yet quality-engineered, balanced armature IEMs. This past year, they began shifting...
got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i getpost #1 of 1711/5/12 at 11:08pmThread Starterso i was thinking about ath-m50's is there a better deal for under 200 or should i go with them
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1711/5/12 at 11:12pmpost #3 of 1711/5/12 at 11:13pmThread Starterpost #4 of 1711/5/12 at 11:16pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1711/5/12 at 11:24pmpost #6 of 1711/5/12 at 11:30pmQuote:
Right now it looks like there are some good deals on the ATH-M50s on eBay.
Also check out the Takstar Pro 80 headphones, $88 on eBay.post #7 of 1711/5/12 at 11:55pmpost #8 of 1711/6/12 at 4:12amAudio Technica M50s are nice all-rounders but their V-shaped sound isn't for everyone: some find it harsh in the highs while others love the somewhat laid back upper mids, some find it bass-heavy while others don't like the bloated and uncontrolled base when unamped... And so on.
I had some comfort issues when I tested it... These cans have a pretty strong clamping force.
I would consider the HD 558, too. If you can spend a little more and the weird color scheme doesn't bother you, take a look at the even better HD 598.
Edited by MrScratch - 11/6/12 at 4:14ampost #9 of 1711/6/12 at 4:33amAt around $200, assuming you're in the US and have Amazon, I would walk right past the M50. From the CAL you won't notice an "upgrade" - just a less comfortable and worse-imaging side-grade.
I would suggest either the Grado SR-225i or the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (the HFI-2400 are around $185 right now, they can go as high as $300 (MSRP is $329 and not enforced) - use the Camel and figure out if you should buy them a month early or not). Much better imaging/staging, more natural tonality, more comfortable, etc and both are still easily driven and well built like the M50. I would take either of these over the Sennheiser, personally, but the Sennheiser aren't bad headphones (they're just really...really...boring). You should also consider the AKG K701 (or whatever this week's version is named), which can sometimes be had for around $230-$250, and are a very (VERY) good headphone, and would absolutely be an upgrade from the CAL! (or the M50, or whatever) - less bass though. I'd put the Ultrasone and Grado on the same level, just not as well-rounded (the Grado have better tonality but worse staging, the Ultrasone the inverse, basically).post #10 of 1711/6/12 at 4:37ampost #11 of 1711/6/12 at 5:20am
Do not waste coin on the M50, since you already have the CAL!. Side-grade. At $200 you can get headphones leagues above the toy M50.
Ultrasone HFI 2400 ($189 new, shipped) Look up reviews; excellent headphone, great build, detachable cord, great sound stage, it's a very warm bassy can and is not overly bright.
Sony MA900 ($192 new, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, huge sound stage, neutralish with some warmth.
AudioTechnica A900X ($207 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; amazing headphone, as close to a D5000 sound that I've ever found at $200 mark, very warm, excellent vocals.
AKG Q701 ($197 warehouse deal, shipped) Look up reviews; great headphone, big sound stage, very neutral with some added warmth.
Beyer DT990 PRO ($188 new, shipped) Look up reviews; good sound stage, bright, tons of bass, very comfortable and very durable.
Very best,post #12 of 1711/6/12 at 5:23ampost #13 of 1711/7/12 at 3:53am
This was my price point as well-- ended up getting the DT-990 for $150 from Amazon warehouse, so I have $50 left for an amp of some sort if what I have on hand doesn't drive them adequately.
One thing I realized listening to my ATH M-30 yesterday at work is how much ambient noise they're actually blocking out (mostly stuff coming in from the street during high traffic times). So I'm hoping that the open design of the 990 doesn't cause issues-- if it does, they'll be going back and I'll be looking at the A900 and maybe upping my price range a bit to consider stuff like the k550, m-100, and the forthcoming Tiesto-branded cans from AKG.post #14 of 1711/7/12 at 5:26am
- got a 200 dollar spending limit for my xmas present what should i get
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 52 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern AK120 For Sale 1 minute ago
- › The Basshead Club 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Golden Ears challenge 4 minutes ago
- › New Zealand meet, May 24th in Auckland 5 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 5 minutes ago
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Burson Audio - Conductor SL 9018 - Headphone Amp and DAC by ag8908
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob