Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple) - Page 51

post #751 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Even more likely.

 

 

Rumour has it the KAEDE with S/N M145 is known as the "KAEDE Deadly-Sparrow-Limited-To-One-Edition"

post #752 of 1092

music_*, I think "compelling" would be the word I would use for the Ocharakus right now (prior to trying a Piano Forte).  I've never had a headphone that pulls me into the music as well as the Ocharakus.  Unfortunately, it's a double edged sword.  When something can draw you in so deeply, it doesn't take much to shake you out of the experience and when you do, it can feel devastating.

 

I'm preparing a shoot-out between the Kaede, LCD3, IE800, 1Plus2, and F111.  For each headphone, I'm going through the same 1.9 hour playlist of my "greatest hits" - a testing ground for all the headphones I ever purchase.  I've gone through the Kaede, 1Plus2, and the LCD3.  The Kaede is the most polarizing headphone I have ever used.

 

I'm a person who puts headphones up for sale if there is any track in my playlist that they cannot handle to my satisfaction.... it's a minimum bar for acceptance.  The Kaede blows some of my tracks out of the water while it literally brutalizes me on others.  I've never had a headphone play with my mind in such a way.  I can't predict what will happen with any given song.  

 

I'm looking forward to sharing the shoot-out.  However, I'd like to leave this thread with this for now: the Ocharakus are the only headphone that will linger between a prime position on my desk and a listing in the FS forum.  They're wonderful enough that I'm not sure I can get them back if I sell them.  They're cruel enough to make me wonder whether my life was better before I ever got them.  

 

I'm in love with the Ocharaku sound; I'm just never quite sure if they feel the same way about me.

post #753 of 1092

lol utdeep I completely agree with you. I'm still debating on letting them go myself. Because on other tracks it is just wow.... Doesn't that just suck? It makes making the decision that much harder :P.
 

post #754 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post


Rumour has it the KAEDE with S/N M145 is known as the "KAEDE Deadly-Sparrow-Limited-To-One-Edition"
Also known as Kaede Nishinbashi Wakarimassu
post #755 of 1092

utshallow,

Oh well, what can I say? I can tell you right now there's a 94.7% chance you won't like the PFs one bit and then you'll have a chance to join the ranks of those who call them "crap", "abominations" or "a piece of sh*t" — that'd be rather sad for me (yet again), and a waste of money for you...… or else…er.... how about a new playlist and/or a new pair of ears?

Regardless, I look forward to your shoot-out.

post #756 of 1092

A couple sick song on them :).

 

 


 

post #757 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by utdeep View Post
...

I'm in love with the Ocharaku sound; I'm just never quite sure if they feel the same way about me.

 

Somewhat like one of my cats... LOL!

post #758 of 1092

I'm still new to the IEM world, but I am intrigued by the new high end phones that have garnered so much praise.  Aside from the portability factor, how does the listening experience really compare to using audiophile full size head phones?  I know this is such a subjective question, but I'm curious if some of the factors, such as soundstage and clarity is so significantly better than the IEM's available in the $300 to $600 range and competitive with full size phones.  Thanks!

post #759 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascogarcia View Post

I'm still new to the IEM world, but I am intrigued by the new high end phones that have garnered so much praise.  Aside from the portability factor, how does the listening experience really compare to using audiophile full size head phones?  I know this is such a subjective question, but I'm curious if some of the factors, such as soundstage and clarity is so significantly better than the IEM's available in the $300 to $600 range and competitive with full size phones.  Thanks!

Technically there is no comparison between IEMs and full sized headphones. The iem I enjoy the best, which is the 1plus2, still falls short in terms of detail, soundstage, imaging and so on when compared with DT880/HD650.

 

However personal listening experience is a different thing. There are things IEMs can do while HPs cannot and vice versa.

post #760 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Well, just like different tips work better / worse for diff people, we also have diff sound preferences and freq thresholds / tolerances, so, in the end, the SUIs might be more up your street (still wonder just how different these two models are). Then again, there's the remote chance you have a faulty pair of Kaedes.......or fakes!

 

 

Make sure your serial number doesn't say M201.

post #761 of 1092
If you are new to the IEM world, do NOT go for these headphones. I repeat DO NOT GO FOR THESE HEADPHONES.

Four reasons:
1. The cost of diminishing returns from the $300 to $400 price point is very high.
2. Part of the appeal of these headphones is their "limited run" status
3. Unlike many of the headphones in the mass market (I can't believe I'm calling $300-$600 mass market) category, there is some music where these headphones will probably not sound good to you. Unfortunately, I can't even assess what that might be
4. Part of what makes them special to this audience is the journey that many of us have taken through the world of IEMs. It's like a random person buying a George Seurat or a Ansel Adams... they might just look like dots or pictures from a family vacation unless you've done your research and started small

Also, I feel like you get a lot more value out of full-size headphones and usually comfort is greater. Unless size of the headphone and isolation is a factor, I would consider a full-size headphone to get good value.
Edited by utdeep - 7/8/13 at 9:53am
post #762 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by klfl View Post

Technically there is no comparison between IEMs and full sized headphones. The iem I enjoy the best, which is the 1plus2, still falls short in terms of detail, soundstage, imaging and so on when compared with DT880/HD650.

 

However personal listening experience is a different thing. There are things IEMs can do while HPs cannot and vice versa.

Thanks for the input!  It's just so difficult to audition headphones at all, much less iem's.  It's tempting to find a great iem, and not have to have a full size clamped on my head, but I've had Westone 4's, Senn IE80's, and Phonak's that just don't quite scratch my itch (though they've all sounded good).  Maybe I'll take a plunge and go all in!

post #763 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascogarcia View Post

Thanks for the input!  It's just so difficult to audition headphones at all, much less iem's.  It's tempting to find a great iem, and not have to have a full size clamped on my head, but I've had Westone 4's, Senn IE80's, and Phonak's that just don't quite scratch my itch (though they've all sounded good).  Maybe I'll take a plunge and go all in!

You can always buy from fs forums and if it is not your cup of tea just sell it. Also dealers like soundearphone have great return policy if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

 

It is always better to trust your own ears rather than the hype. I have several experience in which what I hear completely contradicts some other peoples' reviews.

post #764 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by klfl View Post

You can always buy from fs forums and if it is not your cup of tea just sell it. Also dealers like soundearphone have great return policy if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

 

It is always better to trust your own ears rather than the hype. I have several experience in which what I hear completely contradicts some other peoples' reviews.

Good points, thanks.  I think concern for the law of diminishing SQ returns has always held me back. And there's always the part about explaining to my wife how I spent $1000 on two little lumps of plastic connected with skinny wire (her description)!

post #765 of 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Okay now, things are getting interesting…

Here's a track I absolutely love, and I've never heard a phone render it quite as well is the Kaedes — layering, once again, is absolutely superb and detail retrieval simply astonishing. I took out my K3003s and even my HD800s to compare and none of them rendered this track quite like the Kaedes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-qpk8CBTG0 (woodcans, if you've so far enjoyed some of the music of KC & RF's guitar, you must get this album)

 

 

 

That's a fantastic track with the Kaedes. (Album, including dvd with concert & hi-res versions, on the way).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)