Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple) - Page 47

post #691 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

Okay, a few preliminary thoughts after spending about 30-40 mins with the Kaedes trying Sony hybrids, FAD tips (from my FI-BA-SS) & Audio Technica tips (from my CKM99s); a very kind HF'er sent me 2 pairs of Ortofon tips (M & L) I should be getting tomorrow / Fri.

 

UPDATE: Got the Ortofon tips today. I'd been using M Sony hybrids, and the M Ortofons are a bit smaller and sound off with the Kaedes, so I settled for the L Ortofons whose size sits between the M & L Sonys (the L Sonys made the Kaedes a bass monster). The L Ortofons, with a larger opening than the Sonys, have decreased bass quantity quite nicely, which is a BIG plus, so the midrange sounds clearer and a tad more present now, which has made these Flat4s sound more linear. Highs, however, are ever so slightly hotter but still quite bearable, still more so than I remember the EX1000's highs at higher volumes (the K3003 is definitely more refined in the upper registers, with better timbre / tonal accuracy, no matter which tips I use with the Kaedes).

 

A HUGE thanks to the HF'er who sent me the Ortodon tips.


Edited by music_4321 - 7/5/13 at 12:14pm
post #692 of 1102
I do not consider myself a trebble addict, but even if the Kaede are bright, I do not find them fatiguing, at least not with the ak120, which is a bit warm. It was a bit more fatiguing with a more neutral source like the dx100 from memory. And I never thought them sibilant, or at least I do not notice.
post #693 of 1102

Perhaps I should clarify — the "bearable" comment refers to the treble only at higher volumes; at low & mid volumes I have no issues whatsoever, even with the 'brighter-sounding' Ortofon tips, and these issues mostly occur with bright ("loudness wars") recordings.


Edited by music_4321 - 7/5/13 at 12:04pm
post #694 of 1102

A very cheerful sparrow with his Kaedes & new Ortofon tips — perhaps it's the wood in these IEMs that reminds our often grumpy bird of home? Anyway, layering, a clean low end with texture and excellent extension, and even a very nice non-recessed midrange coupled with an impressive headphone-like sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXM77Jrh74I  (this YouTube link doesn't do this track justice on the Kaedes, but still…)

post #695 of 1102

I tried the Ortofon smalls with the Kaede, and did not like them. required too deep of an insertion. I'll try the M & L tips later. But right now having too much fun with the Comply's to experiment.

 

@music: Do the 3003's have that level of micro detail, speed & timing that make you feel like you are in the recording studio, like the Kaede seems to do?

 

(Feeling like I'm in the studio during the recording of 'Eruption', by Mr. Eddie Van Halen, is so much fun. ;)

 

Also, having a pair of phones that fits my namesake, once again, is satsfying.

post #696 of 1102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leicachamp View Post

Wow words such as "bright", "sibilance", "fatique" seems commonly associated with the flat fours. Yet they seem to get a lot if love. But for how long one can overlook these characteristics ???????

I wish I could hear a pair in Australia for I kinda like so called bright( but not sibilant or fatiquing) headphones like grado rs1i, akg 3003. So are The Kaede be brighter than these headphones? For even I would think twice about getting a flat 4 if they were brighter than those 2 headphones.

 

Bright? Yes. Subilant? No. Fatiguing? With a minority of hot music, yes; generally any IEM with more treble will be more fatiguing relative to a dark sound signature.

 

Should you buy it? Well... there might be 25 more out there. The Kuros might be a good alternative, unlimited a at a better price. You might not like them. Lots of mights...

 

My advice would be mortgage your grandmother, sell your first born, embrace the locusts, do whatever you have to do to get the $900 to grab one of the few remaining KAEDEs. To say that these are better than what I was hoping for when I ordered will be my new high water mark for understatements. (And I had not heard them first either; for most of us, that is impossible.) I am about 25 hours in and they are sweet now. Music is rediscovered on these IEMs. The soundstage is da bomb. Today it was Barenaked Ladies, Waterboys and B52s, each an old favourite and now a new experience.

 

The only qualification I will throw out there is that I do not regard the KAEDE as a walk-around IEM but rather a transportable for moderately loud environments. It is too delicate and precious for walking, and, although the isolation is better than expected, you cannot enjoy the real benefits of the KAEDE on a loud street. However your back yard will not sound much better, nor the neighborhood coffee shop. (Get a Westone Monitor Vault; perfect portable protection and fits like a glove.)

 

Well, I addressed your conundrum as best I can. And I probably will cease and desist from such high praise in August to make people feel better since buying the KAEDE will no longer be an option (just as I do not talk much about the DC1601SC, another spectacular piece of unobtainium).

 

The moment is now.

post #697 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Quote:

 

Bright? Yes. Subilant? No. Fatiguing? With a minority of hot music, yes; generally any IEM with more treble will be more fatiguing relative to a dark sound signature.

 

Should you buy it? Well... there might be 25 more out there. The Kuros might be a good alternative, unlimited a at a better price. You might not like them. Lots of mights...

 

My advice would be mortgage your grandmother, sell your first born, embrace the locusts, do whatever you have to do to get the $900 to grab one of the few remaining KAEDEs. To say that these are better than what I was hoping for when I ordered will be my new high water mark for understatements. (And I had not heard them first either; for most of us, that is impossible.) I am about 25 hours in and they are sweet now. Music is rediscovered on these IEMs. The soundstage is da bomb. Today it was Barenaked Ladies, Waterboys and B52s, each an old favourite and now a new experience.

 

The only qualification I will throw out there is that I do not regard the KAEDE as a walk-around IEM but rather a transportable for moderately loud environments. It is too delicate and precious for walking, and, although the isolation is better than expected, you cannot enjoy the real benefits of the KAEDE on a loud street. However your back yard will not sound much better, nor the neighborhood coffee shop. (Get a Westone Monitor Vault; perfect portable protection and fits like a glove.)

 

Well, I addressed your conundrum as best I can. And I probably will cease and desist from such high praise in August to make people feel better since buying the KAEDE will no longer be an option (just as I do not talk much about the DC1601SC, another spectacular piece of unobtainium).

 

The moment is now.

 

I am happy to hear, based upon this post, that I am not imagining things, going through honeymoonism, fanboyism, etc. (Although I guess that's still a possibility.)

 

And btw, that next to last paragraph, a knife through my heart. I can only hang on to music's claim that they sound very similar to my beloved DC1602SS.

 

And regarding bright vs. sibilant. To me, bright is treble energy/information. Sibilant is painful/verging on painful. With the right source, the Kaede is not sibilant, only bright, but in a good way.

post #698 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

Quote:

 embrace the locusts

 

This is now your catchphrase.

 

 

 

cooperpwc: Embrace the Locusts

post #699 of 1102

Kunlun, I suppose that I could do worse. :-)

post #700 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
 

 

 

I would be very interested if you share your thoughts of the Kaede and the FI-BA-SS.

 

Many thanks!

post #701 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc View Post

The moment is now.

I like this one better as a motto/catchphrase. Barely. Wait, no, I don't.
post #702 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post


I like this one better as a motto/catchphrase. Barely. Wait, no, I don't.


Why choose when they go together perfectly:

 

 

cooperpwc: Embrace the Locusts

                     The Moment is Now

post #703 of 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


Why choose when they go together perfectly:

 

 

cooperpwc: Embrace the Locusts

                     The Moment is Now

 

Is that an incognito way of saying "Eat ramen for 5 months straight, buy the Kaede before it's too late" ;)....


Edited by lee730 - 7/5/13 at 8:27pm
post #704 of 1102

@ Music_4321

 

It's a banner day, this is the very first time I've ever run across you being jovial. Those Kaede's must sound remarkable tongue.gif


Has anyone else on here heard anything involving what Ocharakus next step will be? I think it was on the SUI thread there was a passing post somewhere that there would be some new models of the Flat-4 released in the foreseeable future.

post #705 of 1102

I know the Kuro was in conjunction to that. I'm not sure what else they have planned as of yet though.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)