I am looking for audiophile grade headphones to be used with gaming, movie viewing, and music. I have a few questions that would help me pick a set. I will pay a lot if it is worth it. Budget is up to $500, preferably much less however I would spend closer to $500 if iy made a difference. I wouldn't mind two recommendations such as a $200-$300 recommnedatioin and a $300-$500 recommnedation.
1) I want around the ear headphones that are comfortable over glasses and for someone with a big head. Any recommendations would be helpful.
2) I want to add something like a Antlion Modmic to the headphones for pc gaming chat, etc... or continue to use my current Desktop mic I am interested in these Sennheiser HD 598. They are "open" so does that mean a mic that is close by , like a modmic or desktop mic, will pick up the "open" sound that extends outward from the headphones?
3) Does a "open" design allow you to hear a little bit of the background/ outside sounds?
4) I have a HT Omega Claro Plus sound card which has Dolby Digital and Dolby headphone and other high end audio features (I think). I am not an audiophile however I noticed the sound card makes sound much better compared to my onboard motheboard audio, therefore I think they deserve a nice set of headphones. Would I need an exteranl amp to pull better/ noticable better sound or is my sound card good enough? I have an Astro Mixamp, would using that beasically be like plugging a sound card into a sound card, with the only benefit of adjusting voice chat volume on the dial? Would I lose quality plugging my Mixamp into my sound card?
5) I noticed the Razer Tiamat 7.1 has the 5 color pc surround sound 3.5mm plugs. What is better the virtual Dolby Headphone feature of sound cards and amps (which I have used and enjoyed) or the 5 color pc surround sound 3.5mm plugs?
Thanks for all your help.
Edited by merigoldsass - 11/4/12 at 9:10pm