Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 34

post #496 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

A lot?

 

DAC-only, here.

Yep, as far as I can tell, at least on this thread, I'm the only one who has come forward as using the Concero as a converter.  Well, maybe the one who used it with the Metrum also.

post #497 of 1854
Well, I have till the end of April to make my decision on a usb dac and I always refer to these threads for trusted reviews from owners before buying a piece of equipment. Thks
post #498 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

Yep, as far as I can tell, at least on this thread, I'm the only one who has come forward as using the Concero as a converter.  Well, maybe the one who used it with the Metrum also.

 

I got it for that purpose too (and the convenience of a good DAC when I'm on the go, which, luckily, doesn't happen so often).

 

I'm using it with the Metrum Quad with very good result. I noticed the Concero adds its own sound to the DAC it's feeding. It's really apparent with the Quad which instantly lost its mid bass bump and gain treble extension (when compared to the Stello U3 I was using before)!

 

So far, I don't really enjoy the sound of it as a DAC but I didn't use it much standalone so take it for what it is.

post #499 of 1854

I discerned no difference between my Parasound 1500 fed by the Concero compared to the Parasound fed by optical cable directly from my MBP, in a brief (1/2 hour) comparison.

post #500 of 1854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post

I discerned no difference between my Parasound 1500 fed by the Concero compared to the Parasound fed by optical cable directly from my MBP, in a brief (1/2 hour) comparison.

 

Interesting. Did you try the Resonessence filters or use native mode?

post #501 of 1854

Native mode only - the Parasound can't only handle up to 48kHz.

post #502 of 1854

Does the 1500 have the PMD100 in it? I found my 1600HD was fairly input-agnostic. I tried switching out the PMD100 for (I forgot the model BB chip) and the DAC became very sensitive to input quality.

 

I was actually looking for this thread to ask if anyone had experimented with the S/PDIF input and an Audiophilleo or the like, crazy as that may sound.  I'm in the market for a compact DAC and happen to have both a "spare" USB power source and the AP1 I want to put to good use.

post #503 of 1854
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

I was actually looking for this thread to ask if anyone had experimented with the S/PDIF input and an Audiophilleo or the like, crazy as that may sound.  I'm in the market for a compact DAC and happen to have both a "spare" USB power source and the AP1 I want to put to good use.

 

Not yet but I can check it out soon and let you know. My Concero is loaned out at the moment, but I've got an AP1 with PurePower that I can pair it with once it makes its way back to me. I suspect the gain would be modest but I could be wrong. 

post #504 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Not yet but I can check it out soon and let you know. My Concero is loaned out at the moment, but I've got an AP1 with PurePower that I can pair it with once it makes its way back to me. I suspect the gain would be modest but I could be wrong. 

 

The Concero sounds quite hard when connected to my laptop (battery powered). I get a similar hard sound with the NFB-27 when I plug it on a cheap power strip.

It's not really nice to listen too and becomes quickly fatiguing.

 

I suspect the Concero might benefit from a cleaner power feed, the same kind of improvement that makes the NFB-27 sound delicious when plugged on the wall outlet instead.

 

The only DAC that did well on that cheap power strip is the Metrum Quad. It seems that it sounds nice even with a "dirty" power. Never got a hint of harshness/hardness with it, even though it is brighter than the NFB-27.

post #505 of 1854
Thread Starter 

Hmmmm, I didn't notice it sounding "hard" at all when using my laptop. I imagine a better power source could help, but I don't find it deficient in the least on its own. 

post #506 of 1854

Adding external power increases the size/complexity of the Concero, as well as adding $200 or so to the total cost.  At this point, I would assume the competitors and the value shift.  

 

What would be some competitors that would compete at this price point and in particular, in a compact package.

 

I am enamored with the Concero due to its size since I have almost zero good space for my rig.  But if adding power is the best way to maximize it, and I have to use up more space and pay more money, then I might as well just get something like the X-Sabre or an Audio-gd DAC.

post #507 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Does the 1500 have the PMD100 in it? I found my 1600HD was fairly input-agnostic. I tried switching out the PMD100 for (I forgot the model BB chip) and the DAC became very sensitive to input quality.

I was actually looking for this thread to ask if anyone had experimented with the S/PDIF input and an Audiophilleo or the like, crazy as that may sound.  I'm in the market for a compact DAC and happen to have both a "spare" USB power source and the AP1 I want to put to good use.

No PMD in the 1500.
post #508 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Adding external power increases the size/complexity of the Concero, as well as adding $200 or so to the total cost.  At this point, I would assume the competitors and the value shift.  

 

What would be some competitors that would compete at this price point and in particular, in a compact package.

 

I am enamored with the Concero due to its size since I have almost zero good space for my rig.  But if adding power is the best way to maximize it, and I have to use up more space and pay more money, then I might as well just get something like the X-Sabre or an Audio-gd DAC.

 

Well, that's just me. Voicing can also play a role in this finding.

You might well need nothing more than a decent USB cable to enjoy it. I will try it on my new laptop to see how it goes.

 

For the size and the fact it is USB powered, the Concero is technically outstanding. All in all and regardless of its size/convenience, it's a very serious DAC in the sub $1k market.

post #509 of 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Adding external power increases the size/complexity of the Concero, as well as adding $200 or so to the total cost.  At this point, I would assume the competitors and the value shift.  

 

What would be some competitors that would compete at this price point and in particular, in a compact package.

 

I am enamored with the Concero due to its size since I have almost zero good space for my rig.  But if adding power is the best way to maximize it, and I have to use up more space and pay more money, then I might as well just get something like the X-Sabre or an Audio-gd DAC.

I haven't tried it on my laptop either but will be later for a meet.  My desktop uses a low ripple power supply meant for supplying stable voltage for overclocking and my case is extremely large and cavernous so it could be delivering cleaner power to the Concero than a laptop might.

post #510 of 1854

Back when I still had the Concero, I heard no different from USB via laptops on battery and a desktop. My gaming build uses an Antec(Seasonic OEM) PSU + Giga mobo. That said, I've always used overkill PSU (both in power and quality) and have not encountered worse quality compared to a laptop running on battery.

 

Still need to try the Vaunix/iFi/SotM usb stuff though biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead