Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 33

post #481 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

You should see how ridiculous I get with this stuff. I have my SPL meter, and I use sticky notes around the volume dial on my amp representing each DAC... my wife just rolls her eyes at me. 


My wife rolls her eyes at me also, then shakes her head every time I mention a new set of speakers or headphones. Her comment, "what about the new Refrigerator ", I get no respect. 

 

 

I'm glad I came to this forum to find out the real story on the NuWave..I think I will pass....  Thank you for the headsup. 

post #482 of 1836

My wife wants to punch me in the face! For real...

And every time Im like you hear how great that sounds! She says.. I dont care. Dammit woman your married to me, you best be carin and I spank her back into line.. OK I made that last part up.... ;)

I do get the kids, the wife up dancing... sometimes singing. Its all good. 

post #483 of 1836
I'm obviously lucky. My wife actually AB'd two preamps the other week - and enjoyed it!

Although, like project's wife she did shake her head when she saw the pointer I attached to one of my amp's volume controls (this and a steel rule is my version of project's stickies).
post #484 of 1836
Thread Starter 

Wives are awesome. I swear mine is not looking over my shoulder reading this as I type it....

 

But seriously, my wife puts up with a lot. Even though I now get paid to do reviews at InnerFidelity, I have a long way to go before I make up for all the spending I've done over the years. And she's been very tolerant of it. Even let me have a big corner in the living room which started small but grew ridiculous over time. Thanks!

post #485 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Wives are awesome. I swear mine is not looking over my shoulder reading this as I type it....

 

But seriously, my wife puts up with a lot. Even though I now get paid to do reviews at InnerFidelity, I have a long way to go before I make up for all the spending I've done over the years. And she's been very tolerant of it. Even let me have a big corner in the living room which started small but grew ridiculous over time. Thanks!

The way I look at it, when she's not looking blink.gif they have the "clothes and shoe's and the pedicures and the hair why can't I just enjoy some sound happy_face1.gif

post #486 of 1836

I've been listening to the Nuwave with the Concero as a USB converter for a while now and like what I'm hearing so far.  Tried the Nuwave without it for a short time and it sounded slightly drier/flatter sounding.  Thankfully, it seems the Concero does impart some of it's signature along to the Nuwave when using the Concero as a converter.  

 

The Concero does seems to help the slight "sterility" but the Nuwave still seems to be a slightly bright DAC though highly resolving.  This is just early impressions of course.  I want to do more listening to get a better idea.  I'm certainly in no rush to sell either right now.

post #487 of 1836

My further impressions of the Concero and Nuwave, copied over from the Nuwave thread in case anyone is interested.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

 

New Nuwave owner here.  I'm currently using the Nuwave with a Resonessence Concero as a USB converter to the coax input of the Nuwave.  I'm quite liking the combo so far.  It's a reasonable upgrade over just the Concero as a DAC.  Also did some comparisons of the Concero and Nuwave as USB DACs on their own.

 

As DACs on their I would slightly recommend the Concero to most users over the Nuwave, though some may still prefer the Nuwave depending on their taste.  Both on their own are pretty decent for the money and in the same league I feel.  The Nuwave generally has the edge on dynamics and detail on it's own via USB input.  

 

The Nuwave has the tendency to sound a bit flatter in the soundstage and a more sterile or boring compared to the Concero.  The Nuwave does however, have a very "fast" sound in that it seems to quickly respond and track small, quick dynamic changes (Transient response, I think?)

 

The Nuwave also has a noticeably blacker background, likely due to the dedicated power supply.  However, the Concero seems just slightly more dynamically restrained, likely due to the lack of a dedicated output stage and power supply.  There is just less "Jump" factor with the Concero.    The Concero is smoother in the treble region and likely to match with a wider variety of systems.

 

However, when feeding the Nuwave using the Concero, the Nuwave actually seems to take on a majority of the positive traits of the Concero, while still keeping the Nuwave's excellent dynamics, speed, and black background.  Immediately noticeable when adding the Concero is a much better depth of image in the soundstage  

 

It's actually quite an addictive combo for me.  Currently using the Resonessence linear phase apodizing filter feeding the Nuwave in native mode.  I like to think of it as my poor man's Invicta/PWD hybrid biggrin.gif

 

Of course, the Nuwave is just a beautifully built unit as well.  I just wish they would make an updated GCHA in a Nuwave Chassis with some modern updates.  That would be one good looking stack.  Looks kind of silly stacked on my SA-31 at the moment.

post #488 of 1836

Hello, there are a few usb dac's that are vying for my hard earned cash right now. Would this dac pair well with hd800's? and I also listen through my speakers as well. I dont think I'll be using dsd anytime soon. Thks

post #489 of 1836
I enjoyed it with Nick's Decware CSP2+ and HD800 rig. Best DAC value out there, IMO.
post #490 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamike View Post

Hello, there are a few usb dac's that are vying for my hard earned cash right now. Would this dac pair well with hd800's? and I also listen through my speakers as well. I dont think I'll be using dsd anytime soon. Thks

I certainly have no issue with it with my HD800.  I would at least recommend pairing it with a decent amp though, given the lower than typical output level.  The Concero doesn't have any "extra aggressiveness" added to it that could become an issue with the HD800.

post #491 of 1836
Matrix M-Stage is plenty, has adjustable gain up to +20dB. I'm listening to it now with the X-Sabre (2.2v unbalanced) on +10dB gain with attenuator at 11 o'clock for more compressed music. High dynamic range music like classical takes it up to about 1 o'clock. With a 1.2V output on the Concero you will probably need the +18 or +20dB gain to be in these knob areas.
post #492 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

I certainly have no issue with it with my HD800.  I would at least recommend pairing it with a decent amp though, given the lower than typical output level.  The Concero doesn't have any "extra aggressiveness" added to it that could become an issue with the HD800.

Thanks, I'll be using v200 and schiit lyr with 800's. I am currently using v dacII through usb at the moment and looking to improve my rig. I see alot of people using the concero as usb converter but not using as a standalone dac if that makes sense.

post #493 of 1836

A lot?

 

DAC-only, here.

post #494 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamike View Post

Thanks, I'll be using v200 and schiit lyr with 800's. I am currently using v dacII through usb at the moment and looking to improve my rig. I see alot of people using the concero as usb converter but not using as a standalone dac if that makes sense.
V200 will probably be better, but give the Lyr a try.
post #495 of 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Matrix M-Stage is plenty, has adjustable gain up to +20dB. I'm listening to it now with the X-Sabre (2.2v unbalanced) on +10dB gain with attenuator at 11 o'clock for more compressed music. High dynamic range music like classical takes it up to about 1 o'clock. With a 1.2V output on the Concero you will probably need the +18 or +20dB gain to be in these knob areas.

Sounds about right. with some of the high dynamic range stuff, I can easily max out the volume at 10db gain using the Concero.  An additional Caveat to those planning on using the Concero as a converter:  The 6db cut when using the upsampling filters seems to me to be a greater cut than just using the Concero as a DAC.  

 

I believe the Nuwave puts out ~2.7-2.8v out of RCA and with the upsampling filters engaged it's almost slightly less loud than using the Concero by itself as a DAC at 1.2v.  Though without the upsampling filters engaged, it does put out a full scale signal and is very noticeably louder.

 

By the way Maxvla, I think even you would appreciate the Nuwave with Concero feeding it.  Ironically enough, it sounds more similar to an enchanced Concero, than an enhanced Nuwave.  I suppose similar results could be achieved using a W4S DAC1 or similar.  The W4S DACs in particular are very similar internally, since their designer used to work for PS Audio and also designed the DL III.  I'll get to compare directly to the Gungnir later in April.  Hopefully I'll get to hear that X-Sabre one day, to see how it compares.

 

The Concero is really a great DAC for the money, but I think it's true value lies in using it as a USB converter.  I hope that with the DSD Concero release, they either keep this one at this price point, or release a slightly cheaper USB converter only, to remain price competitive with the Audiophillieo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead