or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 110

post #1636 of 2248

Ok, so considering the last three comments in this thread, could I assume that coupling a Concero with an integrated tube amp would probably lessen the Concero's faults and would otherwise allow me to enjoy its other appealing traits? What about the DC-1's DAC SQ? Is it on par with the Concero's? Is any of these two choices a definitive step up from my HRT MS II +?

post #1637 of 2248

Heya,

 

never owned the original Concero, but do have the Concero HD first with a Lyr, and now Vali.

it's a great combo with my HD600, and very good with HE-500 even.

had Concero HD + Lyr + HE-500 for many months and it was sublime.

 

can't find any "faults" of the Concero HD to be honest, then again I never (ever) listened to female vocalists in my music genres. heh.

also the Concero HD seemed to be on-par = quality as Bifrost Uber in my grouping. maybe with a few more features (smaller, filters, etc).

 

I agree there's a lack of the $200-$350 super DACs at the moment, so it's a tough call.

maybe the Wyred4Sound uDac-HD fits that middle range?  not sure but it looks worth investigating also.

post #1638 of 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post
 

Heya,

 

never owned the original Concero, but do have the Concero HD first with a Lyr, and now Vali.

it's a great combo with my HD600, and very good with HE-500 even.

had Concero HD + Lyr + HE-500 for many months and it was sublime.

 

can't find any "faults" of the Concero HD to be honest, then again I never (ever) listened to female vocalists in my music genres. heh.

also the Concero HD seemed to be on-par = quality as Bifrost Uber in my grouping. maybe with a few more features (smaller, filters, etc).

 

I agree there's a lack of the $200-$350 super DACs at the moment, so it's a tough call.

maybe the Wyred4Sound uDac-HD fits that middle range?  not sure but it looks worth investigating also.

oxymoron for sure

 

$350 super dac = supercar for $19k  ain't gonna happen

post #1639 of 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
 

Ok, so considering the last three comments in this thread, could I assume that coupling a Concero with an integrated tube amp would probably lessen the Concero's faults and would otherwise allow me to enjoy its other appealing traits? What about the DC-1's DAC SQ? Is it on par with the Concero's? Is any of these two choices a definitive step up from my HRT MS II +?

 

I own a DC-1 but never used its built-in USB input. I run it off a Ciunas Converter so it might not be a fair comparison to the standalone Concero (which I used to own, almost a year ago now).

I like the Emotiva better in terms of SQ (again: from the Ciunas) and with all the features it packs, it is a no brainer.

post #1640 of 2248

That's an interesting issue too. Is there some evidence among DC-1 users that its USB input stage is on par with Concero's (which is supposed to be very good)? I hear you about the Concero HD and Ciunas DDC, it must sound wonderful, as both pieces are first class designs, IMHO.

post #1641 of 2248

Sorry, I meant the Ciunas DDC and the EMO DC-1, my mistake!

post #1642 of 2248
Testing

Thanks to Dubaiaudio
post #1643 of 2248

Been rockin' a Concero HD for about a week now... Really enjoyable little unit, seems considerably more detailed than the CI VDA-2 I was coming off of... which could be a crock, but I've picked out things in recordings that were unfamiliar to me, so I may be able to trust myself a bit on this one. Versatility is impressive, for how compact and unassuming it is. I do wish they'd use the LED color to indicate what sample rate is being received instead of the filter, but no matter. Anyway, very impressed so far!

post #1644 of 2248

Concero HP, I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these could comment on how good (or bad) the headphone amp is on this unit. Many company's that do the dac/amp thing seem to seriously compromise the amp part and concentrate on the dac section.

post #1645 of 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post  Concero HP, I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these could comment on how good (or bad) the headphone amp is on this unit. Many company's that do the dac/amp thing seem to seriously compromise the amp part and concentrate on the dac section.

 

The amp section is very good; it sounds great with an HD800 and HD600. It did well with the HE-400, too; I just don't like the sound signature of the HE-400.

 

Its main drawback is that it's not a power monster. It'll run out of juice with planars like the HE-500 and LCD-2/3, but will have zero problems with even difficult to drive dynamics.

 

Secondarily, soundstage is not huge, but merely realistic. Stereo separation lags behind higher-end, full-sized amp units.

 

The amp stage is driven by an AD8397, which is a great opamp if you know what you're doing with it. It'll deliver high current, and rail-to-rail voltage swing.

 

If you've read Resonessence's other reviews, you'll see that while they're stalwarts of performance benchmarks such as SNR, THD+N, etc. they actually do a lot of listening tests, and their original Invicta was praised for having an extremely capable headphone amplifier on top of a flagship level DAC, rather than being merely an afterthought like those put in other high-end DAC units.

 

The same was the case for the HP; they didn't want to include RCA outputs with the HP because they felt a combo unit would compromise sound quality within the price envelope, so they designed the board for headphone output only, reserving RCA output for the HD.

 

You can read project86's review of the HP on InnerFidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/small-and-mighty-resonessense-labs-concero-hp

 

As I also have the HP, I can vouch for project86's thoughts on the HP's performance.

post #1646 of 2248

Excellent summary & agreed on all points. It's a great little all-in-one unit for portable duty, even with the HD800.


Edited by Nick Dangerous - 2/26/14 at 9:50am
post #1647 of 2248

So, it sounds to me that I maybe better off just getting a straight Concero and something along the lines of an Asgard 2, be more boxes to clutter up the place but the SQ might go up a notch or two.

post #1648 of 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post  So, it sounds to me that I maybe better off just getting a straight Concero and something along the lines of an Asgard 2, be more boxes to clutter up the place but the SQ might go up a notch or two.


It all depends on what you value most in the sound coming out of your headphones and what type of headphones you're using.

post #1649 of 2248
Thread Starter 

I'd take the Concero HP any day over the Concero HD paired with the original Asgard. Not sure how the Asgard 2 compares though. Concero HP is more about precision and finesse than brute force, so keep that in mind when considering what headphone to pair it with. 

post #1650 of 2248
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I'd take the Concero HP any day over the Concero HD paired with the original Asgard. Not sure how the Asgard 2 compares though. Concero HP is more about precision and finesse than brute force, so keep that in mind when considering what headphone to pair it with. 


Thanks for that input, I am not finding many (read none) other dac/amp combo units where the owners have ANYTHING good to say about the amp section. The Concero HP seems to be fairly unique in that a lot of people actually like the amp built into it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead