Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead - Page 93

post #1381 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcomfalls View Post
 

Hi,

 Resonessence in an earlier post recommended to not set the Concero as the default playback device in Windows. Did you do this?

 

Thanks


Not even sure how to do that. I changed the advanced setting under the WASAPI plugin within Foobar menu. As per instructions of the dude who posted the recs

post #1382 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Not even sure how to do that. I changed the advanced setting under the WASAPI plugin within Foobar menu. As per instructions of the dude who posted the recs

 

Set your sound card (or anything but the Concero) as the default playback devices in windows.

 

In Foobar you have an option to select the desired output device, too. This is where you select the Concero.

post #1383 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

Set your sound card (or anything but the Concero) as the default playback devices in windows.

 

In Foobar you have an option to select the desired output device, too. This is where you select the Concero.


The 2nd part yes. If I didn't know how to do this it would not have been possible for me to use the Concero for the past 7months. LOL. 1st part, why is necessary? Concero is not my default playback device. The soundcard in my computer is the "default"

post #1384 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


The 2nd part yes. If I didn't know how to do this it would not have been possible for me to use the Concero for the past 7months. LOL. 1st part, why is necessary? Concero is not my default playback device. The soundcard in my computer is the "default"

RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows . Resonessence subsequently advised here to do this if using WASAPI output. You still can use the concero as the default audio device--it just may or may not sound as good..


Edited by whatcomfalls - 12/7/13 at 5:31pm
post #1385 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcomfalls View Post
 

RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows . Resonessence subsequently advised here to do this if using WASAPI output. You still can use the concero as the default audio device--it just may or may not sound as good..


What page of the manual says this?

 

Edit. Okay so I did it. Set it to default device and also disabled all enhancements, although none were checked to begin with. Not sure if this will improve the sound, but whatever it's done now.


Edited by M-13 - 12/7/13 at 6:10pm
post #1386 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcomfalls View Post
 

Hi,

 Resonessence in an earlier post recommended to not set the Concero as the default playback device in Windows. Did you do this?

 

Thanks

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcomfalls View Post
 

RE 1st part: Why necessary? Possibly because the CONCERO manual specifies to select the Concero as the default audio device in Windows .

???:blink::blink::blink: ....

post #1387 of 2259

Okay found this:

 

http://resonessencelabs.com/invicta/faq/

 

Clemmaster is right. I disabled Concero as the default device. My soundcard is still the default. Why make me go through this trouble? I hate whatcomfalls

post #1388 of 2259

Yes, I am confused as well. I don't understand why a DAC should not be set as the default device for optimum quality... or why the default device matters at all when I just select the Concero as the output device in Foobar. 

post #1389 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

Yes, I am confused as well. I don't understand why a DAC should not be set as the default device for optimum quality... or why the default device matters at all when I just select the Concero as the output device in Foobar. 


Unless you're very knowledgeable about dac software and how that interracts with Windows and Foobar. I would just listen to Resonessence. Those guys know what they're doing. They wrote the firmware and also helped invent the sabre chip so I say just blind trust them and NOT set the Concero as the default device.

 

btw, are you related to manbearpig?

post #1390 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


Unless you're very knowledgeable about dac software and how that interracts with Windows and Foobar. I would just listen to Resonessence. Those guys know what they're doing. They wrote the firmware and also helped invent the sabre chip so I say just blind trust them and NOT set the Concero as the default device.

 

btw, are you related to manbearpig?

Well, I use a laptop and don't have the Concero plugged in during most of the day, so I'm pretty sure it's not the default device. I'll have to double check though. It's not a big deal, just seems non-intuitive. 
 

manbearpig /  manbear were my high school nicknames lol

post #1391 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Unless you're very knowledgeable about dac software and how that interracts with Windows and Foobar. I would just listen to Resonessence. Those guys know what they're doing. They wrote the firmware and also helped invent the sabre chip so I say just blind trust them and NOT set the Concero as the default device.

 

btw, are you related to manbearpig?

Yeah-I listened to Resonessence  and WASAPI output sounds better to me when not using the concero as the default playback device in Windows.

post #1392 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


What page of the manual says this?

 

Edit. Okay so I did it. Set it to default device and also disabled all enhancements, although none were checked to begin with. Not sure if this will improve the sound, but whatever it's done now.

 

Page 17 of CONCERO manual (Version 2.2).

post #1393 of 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Okay found this:

 

http://resonessencelabs.com/invicta/faq/

 

Clemmaster is right. I disabled Concero as the default device. My soundcard is still the default. Why make me go through this trouble? I hate whatcomfalls


Why the hate? All I did was ask what playback device you used in windows. The manual specifies setting the device to the Concero. In the end I followed the advice from Resonessence to not use the Concero as  default device and switched default device to my soundcard which to my ears sounds better. I did answer your questions but I didn't tell you to do anything.


Edited by whatcomfalls - 12/7/13 at 8:59pm
post #1394 of 2259

Looking through the FAQ, the suggestions don't account for activating WASAPI in "exclusive mode, which locks out all other data streams when WASAPI is enabled. Basically, it assumes you're using KS (which doesn't have exclusive mode), and extends the analogy to WASAPI. Of course, if you don't check the box with "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", you will still get the problem of Windows trying to interfere. AFAIK, however, in exclusive mode, I don't think these things are an issue. After all, all other sounds are locked out. Yet, I can't be sure; I'm only working off practical sense. It'd be best to consult directly with Resonessence.

post #1395 of 2259

When using WASAPI with other devices I always set the device to default output and then used WASAPI in Foobar so it gained exclusive control.  Never had a problem and it worked perfectly.  My issue with WASAPI and the Concero wasn't sound quality, it was the fact nothing would play (I'd hit hit play and it would immediately stop again).  It works with ASIO though.  Is there a way for ASIO in Foobar to demand exclusive access and lock out other programs?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead