Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review - Page 43

post #631 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gignac View Post
 

I've done that in the past - nearly bricked the little bugger.  I'm not courageous enough to try that again - plus it looks like an updated installer as well (the older ones all had the same name/file size, and this one is quite different.)

 

I would recommend people to not mix/match the installer with the firmware files...Mr.Hisound himself sent me a PM the last time I did that telling me it was not a bright idea :o

 

But didn't you use a completely different firmware with the installer (one meant for the original Studio)? My point is the installer is just the installer. The firmware itself is what is being actually installed and has any bearing on the player itself. Not the installer so much. What I'm saying though is this is most likely that new firmware that I tried out. I had the same issues with the installer being corrupt. I had to use the one from my previous firmware to get it to install. I still didn't like how it functioned so I reverted. I don't think it is worth using. Although there are some perks like the unit will remember more of your settings upon resetting. That's about it for me in the positive.

post #632 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post
 

 

But didn't you use a completely different firmware with the installer (one meant for the original Studio)? My point is the installer is just the installer. The firmware itself is what is being actually installed and has any bearing on the player itself. Not the installer so much. What I'm saying though is this is most likely that new firmware that I tried out. I had the same issues with the installer being corrupt. I had to use the one from my previous firmware to get it to install. I still didn't like how it functioned so I reverted. I don't think it is worth using. Although there are some perks like the unit will remember more of your settings upon resetting. That's about it for me in the positive.

You are correct sir.

 

Well, I might play around with it...perhaps.  If that happens...and it might out of a sudden urge to procrastinate from my other online work...I'll certainly let the crowd here know if it's the same update as the recent one you've mentioned.

 

Best listening!

post #633 of 1160

AND THE VERDICT IS..........

 

Yes, lee730, your prediction was correct.  When installed, the firmware version is listed as: 2013-01-15, and it does bugger up the scrolling (one button press=one movement in the list, no holding down to scroll).  I'm reverting back.

 

Oh well, it was worth the 10 minutes of effort to find out I guess.  Curiosity satisfied.

post #634 of 1160
I dont understand what hisound trying to show by upload old firmware with current date.. if this is what they call firmware update there's no future for this company cuz they are making fools from their customers
post #635 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kob12 View Post

I dont understand what hisound trying to show by upload old firmware with current date.. if this is what they call firmware update there's no future for this company cuz they are making fools from their customers

 

Just a thought - but perhaps before posting such a negative comment it might be a good idea to check with Jack first.  After all it could be a genuine error on their part.  I prefer to give them the benfit of the doubt before leaping to conclusions.  Based on some of their recent offerings (particularly the newer IEMs) - I think they have a great future.

 

Jack is pretty active at responding - and although the firmware of the Studio V3 is still pretty primitive - I' have to admit I'm sold on the sonic ability.  Review should be coming soon.

post #636 of 1160
Maybe I was too harsh but we need to say it straight . Ibasso in 2 months can release 5 updates so its possible to hisound to release at least one update on 2 years . Dont get me wrong ,personally I wish all best for hisound because sound quality of this dap is one of the best on the market I wouldnt say that if Jack not promised few months ago that new update is coming . Situations like old firmware new label happened not once . We need to speak about it guys if we want changes smily_headphones1.gif
post #637 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kob12 View Post

Maybe I was too harsh but we need to say it straight . Ibasso in 2 months can release 5 updates so its possible to hisound to release at least one update on 2 years . Dont get me wrong ,personally I wish all best for hisound because sound quality of this dap is one of the best on the market I wouldnt say that if Jack not promised few months ago that new update is coming . Situations like old firmware new label happened not once . We need to speak about it guys if we want changes smily_headphones1.gif


I suggest you read this post which goes in-depth a little about 'boutique' audiophile players and their firmware support.  It's very easy to say iBasso can do it - Hisound can do it too, but it's really not that simple.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/682750/the-sad-state-of-the-so-called-audiophile-dap-market#post_9827456
 

post #638 of 1160
Quote:
 Did you pay any cash for it or are you expected to return this item or was it from your friends at advanced mp3, honestly I would like to know this as otherwise it kind of skews your objectivity.  I know it comes across offensive but its just an honest question.  If not then I wholeheartedly apologise.

 

Hi, 

 

if this was directed towards me, I´m ok with it since I´ve got my DAP with about 30% discount for A PROMISE of sincere (not NICE) review. So all in all I could have cheated and not write anything, because I don´t have any license or contract signed. I am glad that good word alone still works for some these days and I really tried to write an unbiased review. I should have mentioned the conditions in the beginning, though - I agree.

 

I also asked Jack to take my time before I will post this, as I wanted it to be more than an explosion of mixed emotions about the DAP. He was ok with that and I took my time.

 

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

 

All the best, 

M.

post #639 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gignac View Post
 

Pooh-ehr-Tea,

 

That was quite the post.  Are you going to write a review on the product page as well?

 

Glad to know you're enjoying the DAP - I'm planning on pairing it with a portable amp soon myself (waiting for my second-hand JDS C5 to come in), so I'll let you know my findings on that one!

 

Welcome to the club :)

 

Gignac, 

 

thank you for welcoming! Hope that I can help others when time comes, too.

Can´t wait for your amp pairing findings!

 

And what did you mean by product page? I though Hisound´s page is still in progress.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
 

Pooherh tea is good but the really good is really expensive. I am still letting mine age. It was bout 12 when I got it and now it is 19. 

 

Seems like most everything in electronics needs some burn in. The Anv 3 does real good with burn in and has a beautiful airy feel to the music. Much worth while. Quite a wonderful little package. 

Quite a wonderful little package - that might as well describe pu-erh tea as well, right? ;) I agree, sometimes the really good stuff is beyong any real value, but not everytime. If you would like some recommendations where I source mine, PM me. Also let me know of yours if you´d like. Too bad we live so far away (I am from middle of Europe), I would like to listen to some music over a cup.

 

Best wishes with aging yours gem. And burning in new stuff!

 

 

------------------

 

Btw, that image (/photo) still makes me laugh when I remember it throughout the day :D


Edited by Pooh-erh-Tea - 11/19/13 at 6:31am
post #640 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kob12 View Post

I dont understand what hisound trying to show by upload old firmware with current date.. if this is what they call firmware update there's no future for this company cuz they are making fools from their customers

Where did they do this? The FW itself dates are listed in their titles. The listed dates represent when HiSound re-released the approved versions on the new site. That dating will prevent users from using later and less good versions. We also don't know that it hasn't had some subtle tweak.

 

I just did a checksum on the studio 3 and older studio dynamic FWs and they're different along with being different sizes. May check it out.


Edited by goodvibes - 11/19/13 at 7:31am
post #641 of 1160
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by osilangled View Post
 

Did you pay any cash for it or are you expected to return this item or was it from your friends at advanced mp3, honestly I would like to know this as otherwise it kind of skews your objectivity.  I know it comes across offensive but its just an honest question.  If not then I wholeheartedly apologise.

11.gif

 

you mean me?

 

if so as i stated right at the start of the review, Hisoundaudio sent me it. 

 

if you believe that skewed my opinions on it that is your right but i promise you i still use the thing as my daily driver (when im not using soemtihng else to review it) to date it is still my favourite sounding DAP.

post #642 of 1160
so how many version of studio v does hisoundaudio have?

The original and the DT one right? Is there like a newer DT one with less hiss? I am not talking about the 3rd
post #643 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post

so how many version of studio v does hisoundaudio have?

The original and the DT one right? Is there like a newer DT one with less hiss? I am not talking about the 3rd

To my understanding there are 3.

The original 'Studio'
Studio V (also known as '2nd Edition')
Studio V 3RD ANV.

To make things a little more complicated there are some 3rd ANV models floating around in black (2nd Edition) cases. Apparently hisound ran out if 3rd ANV cases temporarily. I believe Spkrs01 has one of these.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 11/20/13 at 6:30am
post #644 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


To my understanding there are 3.

The original 'Studio'
Studio V (also known as '2nd Edition')
Studio V 3RD ANV.

To make things a little more complicated there are some 3rd ANV models floating around in black (2nd Edition) cases. Apparently hisound ran out if 3rd ANV cases temporarily. I believe Spkrs01 has one of these.

Thanks for clearing that up. So the ones I have are 2nd Edition and 3rd. I saw the black one (With 90% hiss reduction) on hisoundaudio website, I was confused about what that it. Maybe they are 3rd ANV in black case.

post #645 of 1160
Mine is a 3rd in black and has very little to no hiss with X10s but does have higher hiss with UE7S.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review