Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review - Page 4

post #46 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

I've been meaning to do a review of this unit but I have a hard time getting it to read my sd cards.  I convert all my files to wav and throw some mp3's in there as well but for some reason it won't read half of my files and sometimes none at all.  It's so annoying that I just don't use the thing.  I've erased and reformatted the sd cards to fat32 several times and I get the same thing every time.  The sd cards work fine on my DX100 so not sure if I have a defective unit all of a sudden.  Will keep working to find a fix but when it works, it sounds great.  


Could be your tags DannyBai. m3tag is the easiest way to go about it and if you follow my guide it won't be that hard. Do the tracks show up but with a ? before them? I had that issue with some of my files. It was because the tags had v3.2 tags mixed with the FLAC tags (dirty tags). So I removed all 3.2 tags and kept only the flac tags. For mp3s I just removed all 3.2 tags and kept 3.1 tags (or replaced them with 3.1 tags). Also when you load new files you need to delete the system folder from the internal memory for it to index the new files :). I don't have any of the issues you are having so something is wrong. What cards do you use? I use Sandisk 64 GB micro SDXC cards formatted to FAT32. Right now I have about 1950 FLAC files and it takes about 45 seconds to load the unit on each restart. The first time you index them will take a couple minutes.


Edited by lee730 - 1/10/13 at 5:41pm
post #47 of 1160

I think I have the same sd card as you lee.  The one that was posted on the DX100 thread awhile back.  I also use lower grade 32gb cards but those are almost worthless on this unit.  I'll try out the mp3 tag finally since its gotta be the issue.  Thanks for your help again bud.  

post #48 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

I think I have the same sd card as you lee.  The one that was posted on the DX100 thread awhile back.  I also use lower grade 32gb cards but those are almost worthless on this unit.  I'll try out the mp3 tag finally since its gotta be the issue.  Thanks for your help again bud.  


No problem. Go ahead and drag those problem track to mp3tag and send me a screen shot. I can tell you right off the bat if it is the issue.

post #49 of 1160

Just put 19 gig worth of flac files (flac tag only, I am ripping more to flac so I can fill the card soon) on a 64 gig class 10 micro SDXC card and it took 2 minutes 30 seconds to initialize.  pretty good compared to the 16 gig class 4 SDHC card I was using with mp3's (mix of tags) that took 5 minutes 15 seconds.

 

Restart after first initialization takes about 20 seconds with the clean flac files and 60 seconds with the tagged mp3s.

 

As has been stated eleswhere I have had to delete the system folder a couple times during testing to get the card to initialize properly.  Mostly after the player has been hooked up to the computer.


Edited by bearFNF - 1/13/13 at 12:23pm
post #50 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Just put 19 gig worth of flac files (flac tag only, I am ripping more to flac so I can fill the card soon) on a 64 gig class 10 micro SDXC card and it took 2 minutes 30 seconds to initialize.  pretty good compared to the 16 gig class 4 SDHC card I was using with mp3's (mix of tags) that took 5 minutes 15 seconds.

 

Restart after first initialization takes about 20 seconds with the clean flac files and 60 seconds with the tagged mp3s.

 

As has been stated eleswhere I have had to delete the system folder a couple times during testing to get the card to initialize properly.  Mostly after the player has been hooked up to the computer.


Good to hear its working for you. I am definitely lacking in patience myself so it has to work fast or I would be extremely pissed myself ;). I've decided to move to WAV though since I have a couple extra micro SD card. Probably gonna look into getting one more 64 GB card when its on sale for $40.00 again. Then I can just have my portable collection in WAV for the Studio V. It improves the sound even further IMO. You have more of an open and dynamic sound this way. Seems more effortless and smooth.


Edited by lee730 - 1/13/13 at 2:19pm
post #51 of 1160

I have a few other cards on the way, plan to make special ones for my hippo biscuit (random fill cards) and one for classical, etc.

 

I also have a portable projector that uses the same cards. 

 

I figured since i will have a bunch of these tiny cards floating around I bought a couple carriers for the them too, pelican and diemcard (credit card sized card for sd and micro SD).  I also have a cameras that use CF and SD cards and I need the holders anyway.

post #52 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

I have a few other cards on the way, plan to make special ones for my hippo biscuit (random fill cards) and one for classical, etc.

 

I also have a portable projector that uses the same cards. 

 

I figured since i will have a bunch of these tiny cards floating around I bought a couple carriers for the them too, pelican and diemcard (credit card sized card for sd and micro SD).  I also have a cameras that use CF and SD cards and I need the holders anyway.


I got this one from amazon. Seems to be a good holder. I don't have a vast amount of cards yet to fully utilize it though :).

 

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SD-card-holder-BLUE/dp/B006J73RAI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358120644&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+sd+card+holder

post #53 of 1160

Yeah I saw that one too.  Went with the DiMeCard though.  Let me know how the one you got works.  Mine should be here in the next day or so.

post #54 of 1160

Had this player for 2 days now and I'm surprised at how the sound is improving while breaking in. Wasn't getting the most amazing sound out of the box but I'm noticing a better balance after about 25 hours of playback (most of it unattended). just need to upgrade my headphones now - B2's dont seem to let this DAP shine it's brightest tongue_smile.gif

 

I'm having one issue which im starting to wonder about. If a track is playing and i navigate the music folders by category, as i enter a new menu, i get interference while the list is created. the larger the directory, the more interference. has anyone else noted this?

post #55 of 1160

Yep the UI is a bit buggy. If it really bugs you you could pause music playback while going for a different track (in a different folder). Although what I do myself is I go back to the top menu to resource menu. I'll hold the middle button until music stops playing. Then I'll go to a different folder. I'm not sure if its just me but it seems to sound best this way. Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you. I also notice if you have such bugs but then select a track from the internal memory and revert back to the external it gets rid of that stutter you mention. Seems to happen when you go through multiple folders. It may be storing such events in the memory.
 


Edited by lee730 - 1/25/13 at 4:15pm
post #56 of 1160

I get a split second lag and sometimes a pop/click (not the button sound it is turned off).  maybe the buffer is too small and it takes a tick to catchup?

 

I have over 2300 flac files loaded on a 64 gig MicroSD card.  Nothing on the internal memory.

post #57 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

I get a split second lag and sometimes a pop/click (not the button sound it is turned off).  maybe the buffer is too small and it takes a tick to catchup?

 

I have over 2300 flac files loaded on a 64 gig MicroSD card.  Nothing on the internal memory.


I'm using purely WAV now with a couple mp3s here and there. I find WAV sounds better than FLAC on this player. It's more smooth and effortless. More dynamic and spacious.

post #58 of 1160

Hmmm...might have to try that.  But maybe later as will be finished re-ripping my entire collection to flac after the last two disc tonight (Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party and The Best of The Doors boxset)...confused_face.gif  I have been having a great time re-discovering some music I forgat I even owned.

 

I have to say though, I am very pleased so far with the player.  Battery life is great, and it sounds very good.  I do wish they would update the firmware to get rid of the few bus it has.  

 

So far the only players I have that do not have some kind of quirks are the i-river hp-120 and my creative muvo.

Just about every other one I have had has had something not function the way it should either software or hardware...(first gen Ipod, creative zen vision W, sansa clip zip, and i forget the rest).

 

Oh yeah, it took 4.5 minutes it initialize the 2300+ flac files the first time and about a mintue to start each time after that.

post #59 of 1160

That's about normal :). Also if you add a bunch of tracks or if you switch the micro SD card out for another ensure you delete the system folder from the internal memory so it properly reindexes your files. If not they may not play at all :).


I agree the sound quality this unit has is superb and it does get noticeably better with usage. The sound quality, build quality, and battery life are what made me stick with this player over some of the pricier competition :).
 


Edited by lee730 - 1/25/13 at 6:02pm
post #60 of 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


I'm using purely WAV now with a couple mp3s here and there. I find WAV sounds better than FLAC on this player. It's more smooth and effortless. More dynamic and spacious.

 

Sounds interesting, i currently only have FLACs. Might give WAVs a shot and see what difference i notice. some of the music i've been listening to sounds very constricted and obstructed but i have a feeling that purely comes down to poor production :(

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Yep the UI is a bit buggy. If it really bugs you you could pause music playback while going for a different track (in a different folder). Although what I do myself is I go back to the top menu to resource menu. I'll hold the middle button until music stops playing. Then I'll go to a different folder. I'm not sure if its just me but it seems to sound best this way. Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you. I also notice if you have such bugs but then select a track from the internal memory and revert back to the external it gets rid of that stutter you mention. Seems to happen when you go through multiple folders. It may be storing such events in the memory.
 

 

Thanks Lee, ill have a go at changing up the way i navigate. Maybe there will be a firmware update which addresses this bug at some point.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review