Ok folks, I'm a college student with a budget, and after hours of online research, these are the best DACs I found. Now, I really need your help eliminating, and comparing and contrasting these, since I can't compare all four of them anywhere close to where I live. Also, I don't care about features, all I want to know is which one will produce the BEST sound. My current set up is a late 2011 Macbook Pro with its standard sound card, Channel D Pure Music iTunes plug-in, and a pair of Audioengine A2, which I will be connecting the DAC to, obviously. And yes, most of my music library is in Apple Lossless codec. HELP! Please and thank you.
- productArcam rPAC USB/Headphone DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudioengine A2 Premium Powered Desktop Speaker Pair (White)tagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productAudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- warm dac/amp for fischer fa-011's Last post on 8/13/12 at 11:49pm in Computer Audio
- Using an all-in-one mini Stereo sytem instead of dac Last post on 10/26/12 at 8:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Choosing a DAC for iMac Last post on 3/12/14 at 8:40pm in Dedicated Source Components
- iMac Audio Setup decisions Last post on 3/9/14 at 8:10am in Computer Audio
- Best $300 (or less) USB DAC/AMP combo for music production? Last post on 12/6/13 at 2:06pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 1/22/15
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Brainwavz continues to step up their game. This time it's in the realm of Bluetooth! The BLU-100 is a budget-priced IEM that is very well-designed and offers very good sound for anyone that needs...
Dont let these tiny guys disappoint you by looks. Plug them in and you wont believe your ears. These are that good, It sounds like large over ear headphones. I have owned many earbuds like...
AudioQuest Dragonfly vs. Arcam rPac vs. Audioengine D1 vs. HRT Music Streamer II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've heard the Audioengine D1 directly into IEMs (Westone 4). Good but not great.
My son has the Dragonfly/Audioengine A2 combo in his dorm room, and except for the lack of low bass, it kills.
thanks dude, you, along with a few others, have just helped me in eliminating the D1 as an option from now on. Still, do you have any idea of how the Dragonfly compares to the relatively new rPAC and the Music Streamer II?
If you're in SoCal or the Seattle area, you can probably hear both the Dragonfly and the rPAC at Magnolia.
- AudioQuest Dragonfly vs. Arcam rPac vs. Audioengine D1 vs. HRT Music Streamer II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Chord Hugo 14 seconds ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity -... 18 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 42 seconds ago
- › stax SRD-7 adapter capacitor replacement question? noob question 43 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced 2 minutes ago
- › Marshall Mode EQ, a very underrated set 2 minutes ago
- › RHA T20: in-ear headphone featuring DualCoil™ driver technology. 4 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 4 minutes ago
- › Luxury & Precision L5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player with... 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Courageousbo
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2