Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › MP3 Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MP3 Player

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi i am looking for a new mp3 player, i have creative ZEN and HTC Desire HD and i want to buy something a little bit better. I listen to rap,hip-hop, electronic music as Daftpank, dub step, classical, jazz. I have Phonak Audeo PFE 112, D-jays and SE PX100. I chose three DAC players (Colorfly C3, Hisoundaudio Rocoop, or Hifiman 601) + COWON X7/C2,  but i didnt know which one of these take, so i need help with choice. My price range is 250 USD

 

With regards Johnny

post #2 of 12
For your genre's I recommend something from Cowon for it's Mach3bass function, The Colorfly C3 signature is rather neutral, bass response might not be enough depending which IEM you're pairing it with. My vote goes to Cowon C2 or X7.

Both decent players.
post #3 of 12

do cowon players all have the same audio quality with just the hardware/screens/ui being the differentials? there are so many cowon players out there to choose from, it is hard to know what to go for. if they all sound the same then it is just a matter of what other features you want a player to have.

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post

do cowon players all have the same audio quality with just the hardware/screens/ui being the differentials? there are so many cowon players out there to choose from, it is hard to know what to go for. if they all sound the same then it is just a matter of what other features you want a player to have.

No they don't sound the same, they all hold a similar Cowon signature but vary in soundtstage, detail, separation, etc etc.. the higher models cover those areas more.
post #5 of 12
what are considered to be the higher models currently available? the j3 seems to get loads if praise but is no longer readily available and hard to come by.

Sent from my XT890
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post

what are considered to be the higher models currently available? the j3 seems to get loads if praise but is no longer readily available and hard to come by.
Sent from my XT890

I think Cowon Z2 is currently the top model?
post #7 of 12

what about non android cowons that are currently available? i'm primarily after a player focused on great audio. not fussed about a large screen or indeed a player with video playback/wifi/apps etc. the best selling non android cowons at their main dealer here in the uk seem to be i9, i10, x7, x9

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetagaga View Post

what about non android cowons that are currently available? i'm primarily after a player focused on great audio. not fussed about a large screen or indeed a player with video playback/wifi/apps etc. the best selling non android cowons at their main dealer here in the uk seem to be i9, i10, x7, x9

I haven't tried the x9 or any of the non-android ones so I cannot speak on their behalf.

Except for the S9 which I own, it's a terrific player or C2 which is a step down but still very decent.
post #9 of 12

Hi all, 

 

I have had Cowon S9 and X7, Clip+, Studio V and Hifiman HM601 Slim, and up to now this last were the best. The X7 was pretty decent, but like all Cowon the sound quality is a little bit artificial, the soundstage is just good, far from the best I have eard. With the Studio V (neutral) and the HM601 Slim (hot and smooth) you have two high end DAPs. You could add the Colorfly CK4, which is very good too, but more cold. 

It depends also from what you want ;)

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk2 View Post

Hi all, 

I have had Cowon S9 and X7, Clip+, Studio V and Hifiman HM601 Slim, and up to now this last were the best. The X7 was pretty decent, but like all Cowon the sound quality is a little bit artificial, the soundstage is just good, far from the best I have eard. With the Studio V (neutral) and the HM601 Slim (hot and smooth) you have two high end DAPs. You could add the Colorfly CK4, which is very good too, but more cold. 
It depends also from what you want wink.gif

Hi there, how would you rate the Cowon S9 compared to the Studio V?
post #11 of 12

It's difficult to rate two DAPs, moreover I'm french, and you know our legendary level in english biggrin.gif

 

The first point concerns certainly the amp section, which is particularly developped on the Studio V and less on the S9. It is very sensitive. Then, the DAC section, very clear and neutral on Studio V, the S9 sounds artificial and less real. You have more precision and details, but all these last things are based on auditive memory. The only things on which I'm sure is the amp section. The S9/X7/J3 are good DAPs, very portable, and pretty beautiful, but less high end than Studio V, CK4 or HM601 wink.gif

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk2 View Post

It's difficult to rate two DAPs, moreover I'm french, and you know our legendary level in english biggrin.gif

The first point concerns certainly the amp section, which is particularly developped on the Studio V and less on the S9. It is very sensitive. Then, the DAC section, very clear and neutral on Studio V, the S9 sounds artificial and less real. You have more precision and details, but all these last things are based on auditive memory. The only things on which I'm sure is the amp section. The S9/X7/J3 are good DAPs, very portable, and pretty beautiful, but less high end than Studio V, CK4 or HM601 wink.gif

Thank you, I thought that might be the case... I have the C3 and can see CK4's potential, I may consider a CK4 in the future.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › MP3 Player