Use external USB soundcard like EMU 0404 USB to solve the issue.
Related Forum Threads
- How can I listen to High Res above 96hz Last post on 8/22/13 at 12:25pm in Computer Audio
- Cannot install foobar Last post on 4/1/13 at 2:59pm in Computer Audio
- MQn minimalist Wasapi WAV C++ memory player integrated with foobar2000 Last post on 9/24/13 at 8:02pm in Computer Audio
- Need help removing mic hiss Last post on 3/30/13 at 9:44am in Computer Audio
- iTunes 11 columns? Last post on 1/6/13 at 1:27pm in Computer Audio
How to prevent amplifier from picking up interference from computer? - Page 4
Since the problem is a ground loop, and not EMI, USB will only fix it with an isolator, and optical S/PDIF is definitely preferred over coaxial. As already mentioned, there must be at most one ground connection between the PC and the amplifier, either through the AC power cords (and using optical S/PDIF or USB with galvanic isolation, or an audio transformer), or through the audio interconnects (with a non-grounded amplifier, or other means of breaking the AC ground connection), but not both.
I've run into this problem quite a bit. First on my home PC when I went to hook up my PC to my home stereo. Horrible noise from EMI, impedance mismatch, and ground loops. I saw this item http://www.dak.com/Reviews/2045Story.cfm and was skeptical. Upon getting it (was like $15 back then I think), and upon receiving it I thought it looked like absolute trash and thought this piece of junk could not work. I was SOOOO wrong. All that noise, GONE, instantly. Worked like a dream. Have been running on one of these for like 5 years now. At my church we have a number of PC's hooked up to a rather nice sound system. The house audio amplifiers put out something like 12,500 watts total output, and the system sounds quite good. The same basic problem occurred, horrible sounding audio, and constant hum/buzz/pops. Just miserable sounding. I mentioned these things, we ordered them, now for like double the price, and voila. Totally worth the $30. Our one PC used for sermon audio recording actually has a nice stand alone sound card in it. It did not matter (though I guess that was for audio input). Anyway if you are not looking for idealistic audiophile solution to make your sound perfect, I betcha the above device would work. Now with my stereo system on at about 50% volume and hooked up to my PC's motherboard audio output, there is no detectable "noise" difference than when I have the Stereo in CD mode and the volume at the level with the CD stopped. So all the noise that is noticeable now is inherent to my stereo.
Edited by cdq109 - 11/27/12 at 12:08am
Yea, ground loop isolators, I have a few of those but have only needed them when using analog connections from PC to stereo. You can buy them at Radioshack im the USA and The Source in Canada. I have one for my car too that is made by Belkin that I found at Walmart.
- How to prevent amplifier from picking up interference from computer?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 40 seconds ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two... 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › What amp to get for the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros? 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000,... 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread (Preliminary Impressions) 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 6 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)