Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released - Page 6

post #76 of 239

First post here. Finally felt I had to stop lurking and post something about this great little player.

 

This is --by far-- the best I've ever heard in computer audio. I've tried about every player and bitperfect output combination there is, and I knew from the first second that JEP was superior in every aspect.

 

Sure, the lack of flac support is awkward, but hell, if it gives me better audio by that much of margin, I'll still be using that player.

 

Version 2.4.1 was already a revelation in terms of transparency and realistic bass rendering, 2.4.4 was even better, but version 2.4.5 is getting close to perfect in terms of dynamics, Prat and transparency.

 

Try it. Seriously. You'd be missing out on something if you don't. If you prefer flac and library management, then keep using whatever player you were using and be happy.
 

post #77 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofanboy View Post

First post here. Finally felt I had to stop lurking and post something about this great little player.

 

This is --by far-- the best I've ever heard in computer audio. I've tried about every player and bitperfect output combination there is, and I knew from the first second that JEP was superior in every aspect.

 

Sure, the lack of flac support is awkward, but hell, if it gives me better audio by that much of margin, I'll still be using that player.

 

Version 2.4.1 was already a revelation in terms of transparency and realistic bass rendering, 2.4.4 was even better, but version 2.4.5 is getting close to perfect in terms of dynamics, Prat and transparency.

 

Try it. Seriously. You'd be missing out on something if you don't. If you prefer flac and library management, then keep using whatever player you were using and be happy.
 

 

I agree, there is something just "right" sounding with this player, and each version consistently manages to sound better than the last, which is very important to me as it means that I can trust the author's hearing, and there is no "going in circles."

 

For me timing, focus and dynamics, as well as timbre and tonal balance are among the most important things to get right in a player and JEP seems to get these qualities right.

 

It is also exciting to be able to witness the development of the player, it's like getting regular hardware upgrades, without the hardware upgradeswink_face.gif

post #78 of 239

I must admit, that it does ( 2.4.4 ) sound very good. But why such a difference compared to other "bit-perfect" players? Is there any post-processing applied? It does sound wider and I wouldn't be surprised if a little bit of reverb has been added... Can the developer confirm that no effects were applied to the sound? I apologize for my scepticism, but it sounds too good to be true. Where can I get 2.4.5. version? And what kind of bonus is provided with the donation?


Edited by lotriwer - 1/2/13 at 6:26am
post #79 of 239

Like most other differences I've heard between different software, it's all about how much of the data the player manages to get through the computer/windows "net" to you DAC without loss. In this case, it basically sounds like there is less jitter going on with better timing/clock precision and an even more bit-perfect playback than, say, foobar with wasapi (i.e., no integer to floating point conversion). And there's probably a whole bunch of other optimizations I don't even know about, like the full memory playback.

 

All I know is that guitar strings now sound like guitar strings and bass notes sounds like real bass. I don't believe I'm hearing any post-processing, but just the music information that wasn't being read and transported to my DAC properly. Then again, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure it all sounds natural suddenly. Some would say "analog".

 

Btw, version 2.4.5 is the bonus.

 

On the other hand, there are two things I'm wondering about.

 

First is 24-bit and 88.2/96/192KHz playback. It seems like JEP is reading those 24/96 files properly but I just want to make sure (sounds great too btw, whether you believe in 24-bit audio or not is irrelevant here).

 

And second, I can't quite seem to get "gap-less" playback with a playlist in JEP. I keep getting a slight second-long pause between tracks like the player is buffering from the drive to the RAM (I get this both reading from the SSD and HDD). This is the case both with version 2.4.4. and 2.4.5 regardless of settings.

 

My rig is plenty powerful but not quite up to the described specs: Core 2 Quad @3.6Ghz with 4 Gb of fast RAM (so far from the required 8 Gb); music gets sent to a Hiface Two USB to S/PDIF interface.
 

post #80 of 239

JEP's architecture requires a short gap between the loading of individual files. No, there is no processing of any kind, just the prudent use of memory and threading. 

 

To be honest, I've never participated in a forum with such blind negativity from certain quarters. Like ThinkSpace, I think I'll bow out gracefully at this point.

 

Happy listening all.


Edited by goldiver - 1/2/13 at 3:39pm
post #81 of 239
I've never participated in a forum with such blind negativity

So much for honest, informed differences of opinion. Happy listening to you, too.
post #82 of 239

I guess some seem to miss the point of a discussion forum!

post #83 of 239
Thread Starter 
2.4.6 is a landmark which will be complete!
It is more perfect than 2.4.5, I can't find any shortcomings.
It is the last version 2.4.x.
After that I will think about what to do next, has been done on the ultimate sound quality, I need to consider other factors.
post #84 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiver View Post

JEP's architecture requires a short gap between the loading of individual files. No, there is no processing of any kind, just the prudent use of memory and threading. 

 

To be honest, I've never participated in a forum with such blind negativity from certain quarters. Like ThinkSpace, I think I'll bow out gracefully at this point.

 

Happy listening all.

Prudent use of memory and threading? 8GB of RAM required and no gapless? Surely you jest.....blink.gif

 

A rockboxed iPod Video from 2006 can play a dizzying number of formats(not just WAV), and gaplessly, and it has 64MB of RAM.

 

Blind negativity? How about blind fanboyism? 

post #85 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Prudent use of memory and threading? 8GB of RAM required and no gapless? Surely you jest.....blink.gif

A rockboxed iPod Video from 2006 can play a dizzying number of formats(not just WAV), and gaplessly, and it has 64MB of RAM.

Blind negativity? How about blind fanboyism? 

Do you want gapless playback and format support or better sound quality? Choice is yours, just don't poop on something because it doesn't suite your priorities or needs, especially when the author is right in front of you, that's just my understanding of etiquette. There is also the old saying " beggers cant be choosers"
post #86 of 239

ThinkSpace, I'm very much looking forward to 2.4.6. Many thanks for your continued efforts. I'll continue to spread the good word.

post #87 of 239
Thread Starter 
2.4.6 hack the c run-time library, which is incredible, no ordinary programmers can understand.
 
Only the JEP is treated seriously sound quality: try every method.
 
2.4.6 is entering the final commissioning stage.
post #88 of 239

No mere mortal can understand the C run-time library!

post #89 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkspace View Post

No ordinary programmers can understand!

You know, it's like Lex Luthor designed this thing...
post #90 of 239

Even if you are not going to use theplayer, the guy still deserves  props for his time invested into trying to make things better for the audio community.

Thanx for your contributions.


Edited by ROBSCIX - 1/3/13 at 9:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released