Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released - Page 15

post #211 of 239

I've now tried a number of these audio players, Foobar, Musicbee, album player, pureplayer, jie extreme, aimp 3.5, pot player, I've gone through most of them now.

 

 I'm beginning to come to the conclusion some mild form of trickery is going on here. It's like a CD player should output 2.2v but some output 2.4v, the end result on listening is the CD player outputting 2.4v will sound more impressive. Now trying these players, the better sounding ones seem to me to be slightly louder.

 

 One first listens I like the Jie Extreme, but as I and other have pointed out it's way to limited, fussy and demanding, it takes about 15 seconds to load a song, wont play next song, and now it seems no uninstall, bad.

 

  Pureplayer again is nice, that is as long as your music collection is local, if on a network it is a chore to load to player, Wasapi out wont work, not there is any real difference here. Sound wise it is very good.

 

  I've just tried the Album Player from Russia, this thing at least works, plays wav, Flac, and music on your network, sound good to if a bit inconvienent.

 

 

   But for ease of use, plays without a problem, looks goods, doesn't sound much worse when volume is leveled I would have to say musicbee is the best all rounder.
 

post #212 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmouse View Post

I've now tried a number of these audio players, Foobar, Musicbee, album player, pureplayer, jie extreme, aimp 3.5, pot player, I've gone through most of them now.

 I'm beginning to come to the conclusion some mild form of trickery is going on here. It's like a CD player should output 2.2v but some output 2.4v, the end result on listening is the CD player outputting 2.4v will sound more impressive. Now trying these players, the better sounding ones seem to me to be slightly louder.

 One first listens I like the Jie Extreme, but as I and other have pointed out it's way to limited, fussy and demanding, it takes about 15 seconds to load a song, wont play next song, and now it seems no uninstall, bad.

  Pureplayer again is nice, that is as long as your music collection is local, if on a network it is a chore to load to player, Wasapi out wont work, not there is any real difference here. Sound wise it is very good.

  I've just tried the Album Player from Russia, this thing at least works, plays wav, Flac, and music on your network, sound good to if a bit inconvienent.


   But for ease of use, plays without a problem, looks goods, doesn't sound much worse when volume is leveled I would have to say musicbee is the best all rounder.

 

Thanks for the summary, I may try Album Player and Musicbee later. I have tried Pure player and JIE. Have you tried the paid player, Jplay?
post #213 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkspace View Post


For one simple reason: they hinder me to improve sound quality.

I am speaking from a user point of view, I don't play from compressed file, i.e Flac, mp3, etc, I play directly from CD or tracks from HDtracks, so playing WAV files seem logical for me, but every time I play a CD I have convert it to WAV and store it somewhere is rather time consuming and a waste of HD storage space. I recommend you should add a feature so that users can play directly from CD would actually convert to WAV files.

As I can see it your player has 2-4 main disadvantages:

1. Play from Windows 8, not that many users using windows 8
2. Use only i* processors.
3. Play WAV files only.
4. Play one track at a time?

1&2 are necessary to exploit the capabilities of the player, I think if I use other alternatives, e.g. Win 7, AMD processor, the sound quality suffers?

I don't expect lots of features from a high quality player(in fact there are audio differences between Pure Player and JIE), there is need to have a good mix of convenience of usage and sound quality. At the moment I am using Pure player(PP) I am using it for a while, even though JIE sounds better. From PP I can play directly from my CDs it reads the tracks and convert to WAV and then play the tracks

Please point to me if my understanding of the capabilities are incorrect.
post #214 of 239
Thread Starter 

JEP2.5.0 Preheat, release JEP2.4.12

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vos3wbo3ph02bhd/JEP2.4.12.rar

 

Note: Only Windows 8, Only 64bit, Only AVX.

post #215 of 239

Please provide a .bat file to revert all the changes on the system made by jepcfg.bat. Invasive changes, since I can't get DEP back on issuing the command on an administrator console, among other things. 


Thank you.


Edited by vodkex - 4/9/13 at 10:20pm
post #216 of 239

Do you have a recent restore point?  

post #217 of 239

No I don't. Anyway, I was able to get all back to defaults with a tool called "VisualBCD", it's funny since entering the bcdedit commands on an elevated console did nothing. Most of the other changed settings include disabling debugging modes and the like, which weren't on... I don't think that disabling security features like DEP and other ones is going to affect the sound. I do believe in tweaking like this (I used to use fidelizer a while back) but I don't remember it tampering with security.


Back to foobar.

post #218 of 239

I think the security tweaks are needed to allow some of the process priority settings, not to directly affect the sound.  Either way doesn't really matter if you cant afford the hit to security on your system.  Glad you got it sorted anyhow.

post #219 of 239

Thinkspace,

 

What happen to release 2.5 on May 1st?

post #220 of 239
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttan98 View Post

Thinkspace,

 

What happen to release 2.5 on May 1st?

 


Sorry, busy with moving, now JEP2.5.0 has been released.

post #221 of 239

Sweeet can't wait to get this new version running.  

 

Also found out recently that I prefer SQ with the network cable unplugged, no idea what's going on there.  Maybe similar to the way that MMCSS.srv throttles network traffic to improve audio latency, maybe placebo who knows.  Anyone found similar/different?

post #222 of 239

Win8 only = epic fail IMHO

post #223 of 239

Actually win8 running Sandy/Ivy bridge or later Intel chip.  I cannot speak for the author, but IMO this is is a very specialised player, mostly suitable for dedicated windows install or dedicated music server machine.


Edited by drez - 5/6/13 at 2:24am
post #224 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

Actually win8 running Ivy bridge or later Intel chip.  I cannot speak for the author, but IMO this is is a very specialised player, mostly suitable for dedicated windows install or dedicated music server machine.

I understand that, but lack of windows 7 support seems ridiculous to me. MANY people just hate win8...

post #225 of 239
Thread Starter 
Windows 7 can continue to use JEP2.4.X, compatibility or performance, which one do you choose?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Jie Extreme Player 2.7.2 released