Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread - Page 47

post #691 of 1022

depends on what you listen to. I listen to a lot of classical and sometimes electronic. I'm checking out the Audio Technica ATH-W1000x right now. It might be my next purchase. 

 

The thing I like about some of the AT cans is that they are self-serviceable. This means I can mod them and customize them to my liking, teehee. tongue_smile.gif

 

Hmm..I know I have blu-tack and dynamat lying around somewhere..

post #692 of 1022

I tend to listen to rock and pop (especially JPOP) more, not quite a bass head but I do not like the bass being too silent.

post #693 of 1022

i'd recommend the Mad Dogs by MrSpeakers.

 

They are a very balanced headphone. Some people may think they are a bit dark, but we all hear differently.

 

The bass is present, but it is not overwhelming or dominant. It is not a basshead headphone.

 

the bass response is one of the fastest and cleanest i've seen in a lot of closed-backs.

 

extremely comfortable

 

extremely clear in details. very clear mid range. extremely clear female and male vocals. sound stage is pretty good.

 

Treble has virtually no sibilance at all.

 

disadvantages: they are quite large on your head. they require a powerful amp to get the full dynamic range of them; difficult to drive. they are also very unforgiving when it comes to poor recordings and low quality files. this makes them impractical for portable use. One of the best cans for the money imo.


Edited by gmoney9438 - 1/25/13 at 4:50am
post #694 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Just curiosity, looking to try new things.  I also ordered the NuForce HP-800 to give them a try as well since I am looking for something with monster bass and excellent overall SQ when I listen to certain genres.  No complaints at all about the M-100, just wondering if there is anything better out there anywhere near their price range and I haven't found it yet- perhaps a different signature with more forward mids and X-bass heavy.  For my taste, the M-100 is my audiophile can more than what I would consider the ultimate basshead can, even though they bring the bass.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  You do keep making a strong case for trying the M-100...

post #695 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaran View Post

What are some great closed back headphones other than AKG k267 in the similar price range?

It seems like the k267 are getting mixed reviews.
 


At the risk of sounding repetitious- V-Moda M-100.  Their sound blew me away out of the box and after 3 months with them I haven't looked back.   Listening to Led Zeppelin right now through Vamp portable amp and getting goosebumps.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/25/13 at 6:18am
post #696 of 1022
Well I think my enthusiasm how weigned on these, I was hoping for a new king of closed portable mid fi, but these 'meh' comments are not encouraging.
post #697 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

i'd recommend the Mad Dogs by MrSpeakers.

 

They are a very balanced headphone. Some people may think they are a bit dark, but we all hear differently.

 

The bass is present, but it is not overwhelming or dominant. It is not a basshead headphone.

 

the bass response is one of the fastest and cleanest i've seen in a lot of closed-backs.

 

extremely comfortable

 

extremely clear in details. very clear mid range. extremely clear female and male vocals. sound stage is pretty good.

 

Treble has virtually no sibilance at all.

 

disadvantages: they are quite large on your head. they require a powerful amp to get the full dynamic range of them; difficult to drive. they are also very unforgiving when it comes to poor recordings and low quality files. this makes them impractical for portable use. One of the best cans for the money imo.


I didn't look at the mad dogs because of the need of a good amp, I'm looking at some closed back cans that can be driven easily with E17 (because I might bring it out).

post #698 of 1022

I'll take pictures of the K167 tomorrow. Today's my birthday so I'm going to be busy eating sashimi.

They really aren't as cheap as a lot of people are making them out to be; the only two build complaints I have are the earpads (soon to be fixed) and the non-detachable cord (which is a bit inconvenient).

 

These really are a lot like the poor man's more neutral M-100.


Edited by Tus-Chan - 1/25/13 at 7:37am
post #699 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

I'l take pictures of the K167 tomorrow. Today's my birthday so I'm going to be busy eating sashimi.


That would be an odd tasting cake, but I do like Unagi bigsmile_face.gif

post #700 of 1022

Bro. Eel is my food; I love BBQ eel sushi! smile_phones.gif

post #701 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


At the risk of sounding repetitious- V-Moda M-100.  Their sound blew me away out of the box and after 3 months with them I haven't looked back.   Listening to Led Zeppelin right now through Vamp portable amp and getting goosebumps.

 

 

that is promising.  i am a Led Zepp fan and that is a large part of my listening.  there will be no Vamp for me as i don't own an iphone, but an e11 is all i have for now.  i was really trying to decide between M100 and K267, but this doesn't sound too good for the k267, however, no one seems to be giving the break-in a chance.  

post #702 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

 

 

that is promising.  i am a Led Zepp fan and that is a large part of my listening.  there will be no Vamp for me as i don't own an iphone, but an e11 is all i have for now.  i was really trying to decide between M100 and K267, but this doesn't sound too good for the k267, however, no one seems to be giving the break-in a chance.  


I have mixed thoughts about burn-in.  I suppose it depends on the headphone.  M-100 sounds the same to me today as it did out of the box.  However, when I owned Amperior, bass was anemic out of the box, but really became punchy and tight after about 20 hours burn-in.  It is possible the highs of the AKG would tame a bit with burn-in.  It could also be that one's ears are adjusting.

 

Regarding Zeppelin, they do some amazing things with stereo imaging in their recordings and the M-100 really brings that out.  Sound is coming at me from EVERY direction.  E12 is coming to the US in a few weeks and may provide a nice sound upgrade for a relatively reasonable cost.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/25/13 at 9:22am
post #703 of 1022
How is the comfort of these cans? I ask because I'm a music producer who has headphones on pretty much all day, and my jaw clicks and pops after wearing tight cans for any length if time. I'm currently using a pair of M-Audio Q40s and I get pretty bad headaches from them (they really do crush my skull a bit).

So to owners of the K267's: are they:
Falling off
Loose
Comfy
Tight
Brain-clamp
Torture device

Thanks for your help guys
post #704 of 1022

The ergonomics of the headphone are just fine. It's not loose or clampy, it's just right.

The problem is that the pads don't do what they're supposed to do. The walls of the pads basically compress down to nothing when you put the cans on. They go from being over ear to on ear because the pads squish inwards and reduce the area your ears have to fit inside.

post #705 of 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

The ergonomics of the headphone are just fine. It's not loose or clampy, it's just right.

The problem is that the pads don't do what they're supposed to do. The walls of the pads basically compress down to nothing when you put the cans on. They go from being over ear to on ear because the pads squish inwards and reduce the area your ears have to fit inside.


How would you characterize the treble after some burn-in?  If I am happy with the M-100, would there be no point to owning these based on the "poor man's M-100" comment previously?  On an unrelated note, I will have some eel/cucumber roll in honor of your b-day.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/25/13 at 11:09am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread