Anyone care to compare these two DACs? I've been looking to get a dedicated DAC for my system because the one in my ef2a sucks. So is the dragonfly just more expensive because it's smaller or because it's better overall? Thanks.
- productAudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s Last post on 1/8/13 at 12:04pm in Computer Audio
- Need some help Last post on 9/10/12 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+ (MSII vs MSII+) Comparison / Review Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
- Dedicated power button on USB DAC needed for my setup? Last post on 11/23/12 at 7:31am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
They sound nice and have lot of bass.. the wire is cheap but did not break for now but for intensive use im sure it will.... The treble is killing my ear seriously i may have got a...
The sound of master 1s is trully great for its size, especially the lower end. As you can see the NOS arrived with deteriorated ear pad and it still sound good with lot of bass extension. Even...
Using TheHeadphoneList's Review Format Below Accessories - 3/5 You get a semi-hard case with a felt-like exterior that zips up and 3 different sized tips to help fit your ears....
Brainwavz HM9 is a portable / foldable, super comfortable headphone priced at $150 USD ($119 at the time of writting on Amazon) that surely grabs attention including mine, with it's stylish...
Ok guys, here's my take on the SennGrados... First of all, I would like to mention that these are not my personal cans, they are on loan to me as part of a tour that's spreading the word on...
HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonfly
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't own either DAC, but some of the cost could be related to (like you mentioned) the form factor. Also, the Dragonfly is a combination headphone amp AND DAC whereas the HRT is a DAC only. Seeing that you already have a headphone amp in your EF2A, I'm not sure how much benefit you would get from having that extra headphone amp functionality in the Dragonfly unless you were planning to use it on the go while leaving the EF2A at home? Also consider the that if using the Dragonfly in conjunction with your EF2A you would need a mini 1/8" to stereo RCA cable, not a stereo RCA to stereo RCA like with the HRT. I have seen many positive reviews of both devices on this site- you may want to post your question in the Dragonfly owner's thread, and a brief search shows one user who considered the Dragonfly superior to the big brother MS2+ .
Good luck with your search!
I own both the DragonFly and the HRT MSII. I did a quick comparison on the weekend (I needed a distraction from my certification studies), and the DragonFly is cleaner then the MSII. Although the MSII seems to have a bit more bass.
I will need to sit down sometime soon to make a full comparison and post back into this thread incase anybody is curious about either DAC.
Had a good 45 minutes of comparing the DragonFly and the HRT MSII tonight. These DACs are fed from iTunes - Audirvana Plus - DAC - Little Dot MkIII - Sennheiser HD650.
FIrstly, the MSII is a good DAC. However, to my ears, the DragonFly is more resolving. I pulls a bit more detail then the MSII. The best way I can describe it is that when going from the MSII to the DragonFly, it is like some clouds moving away to reveal a sunny day. The soundstage is also slightly wider with the DragonFly.
The DragonFly is a little harsh compared to the MSII. The MSII is a little more laid back then the DragonFly, and the DF is more energetic, but gets a bit rough around the edges when the material gets complex. Like "Despair" from Dark Knight Rises soundtrack.
I thought I'd also pull out the Rega DAC from my main system to have a listen. And wow, yes, it is about 4 to 5 times the cost more, but it just does a lot more things right compared to the DragonFly and the MSII.
Time to save up for a better DAC for my headphone setup. Although, I think the MSII and the DragonFly are pretty good for their cost.
- HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonfly
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 58 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Parasound zdac reviews? 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 by RubxQub
- › Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by wormsdriver
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by trevorburnham
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › HeadRoom Little With More Power Supply by Mshenay
- › beyerdynamic T50p by gotak
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Tom22
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)