Anyone care to compare these two DACs? I've been looking to get a dedicated DAC for my system because the one in my ef2a sucks. So is the dragonfly just more expensive because it's smaller or because it's better overall? Thanks.
- productAudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s Last post on 1/8/13 at 12:04pm in Computer Audio
- Need some help Last post on 9/10/12 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+ (MSII vs MSII+) Comparison / Review Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
- Dedicated power button on USB DAC needed for my setup? Last post on 11/23/12 at 7:31am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
This is my first proper set of over ears, and I'm quite surprised! The bass is fast, punchy and has enough weight to satisfy the slight basshead in me. The treble is a bit laid back for me, and I...
Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable Teflon over UP-OCC: Ultra Pure Ohno Continous Cast Copper Viablue Y Splitter Switchcraft 4 pin XLR Ordered 5 ft length So a bit of background here. I...
HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonfly
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't own either DAC, but some of the cost could be related to (like you mentioned) the form factor. Also, the Dragonfly is a combination headphone amp AND DAC whereas the HRT is a DAC only. Seeing that you already have a headphone amp in your EF2A, I'm not sure how much benefit you would get from having that extra headphone amp functionality in the Dragonfly unless you were planning to use it on the go while leaving the EF2A at home? Also consider the that if using the Dragonfly in conjunction with your EF2A you would need a mini 1/8" to stereo RCA cable, not a stereo RCA to stereo RCA like with the HRT. I have seen many positive reviews of both devices on this site- you may want to post your question in the Dragonfly owner's thread, and a brief search shows one user who considered the Dragonfly superior to the big brother MS2+ .
Good luck with your search!
I own both the DragonFly and the HRT MSII. I did a quick comparison on the weekend (I needed a distraction from my certification studies), and the DragonFly is cleaner then the MSII. Although the MSII seems to have a bit more bass.
I will need to sit down sometime soon to make a full comparison and post back into this thread incase anybody is curious about either DAC.
Had a good 45 minutes of comparing the DragonFly and the HRT MSII tonight. These DACs are fed from iTunes - Audirvana Plus - DAC - Little Dot MkIII - Sennheiser HD650.
FIrstly, the MSII is a good DAC. However, to my ears, the DragonFly is more resolving. I pulls a bit more detail then the MSII. The best way I can describe it is that when going from the MSII to the DragonFly, it is like some clouds moving away to reveal a sunny day. The soundstage is also slightly wider with the DragonFly.
The DragonFly is a little harsh compared to the MSII. The MSII is a little more laid back then the DragonFly, and the DF is more energetic, but gets a bit rough around the edges when the material gets complex. Like "Despair" from Dark Knight Rises soundtrack.
I thought I'd also pull out the Rega DAC from my main system to have a listen. And wow, yes, it is about 4 to 5 times the cost more, but it just does a lot more things right compared to the DragonFly and the MSII.
Time to save up for a better DAC for my headphone setup. Although, I think the MSII and the DragonFly are pretty good for their cost.
- HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonfly
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 48 seconds ago
- › looking for bluetooth headphones: Sony MDR-1RBT or Sony MDR-10RBT? 52 seconds ago
- › Detail level and speed of headphones 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1 Tips Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 6 minutes ago
- › First Post, Ask for Bluetooth Headset recommendation 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)