Anyone care to compare these two DACs? I've been looking to get a dedicated DAC for my system because the one in my ef2a sucks. So is the dragonfly just more expensive because it's smaller or because it's better overall? Thanks.
- productAudioQuest DragonFly Asynchronous USB DACtagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s Last post on 1/8/13 at 12:04pm in Computer Audio
- Need some help Last post on 9/10/12 at 9:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HRT Music Streamer II vs HRT Music Streamer II+ (MSII vs MSII+) Comparison / Review Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:40am in Dedicated Source Components
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
- Dedicated power button on USB DAC needed for my setup? Last post on 11/23/12 at 7:31am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 6/4/13
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Bass: solid, balanced and extended with excellent pitch. Can be Stygian and prodigious with the right recordings. Midrange: clear, coherent, tonally complex and saturated. Vocals are rendered with...
HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonflypost #1 of 410/31/12 at 5:12pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 411/1/12 at 5:10am
I don't own either DAC, but some of the cost could be related to (like you mentioned) the form factor. Also, the Dragonfly is a combination headphone amp AND DAC whereas the HRT is a DAC only. Seeing that you already have a headphone amp in your EF2A, I'm not sure how much benefit you would get from having that extra headphone amp functionality in the Dragonfly unless you were planning to use it on the go while leaving the EF2A at home? Also consider the that if using the Dragonfly in conjunction with your EF2A you would need a mini 1/8" to stereo RCA cable, not a stereo RCA to stereo RCA like with the HRT. I have seen many positive reviews of both devices on this site- you may want to post your question in the Dragonfly owner's thread, and a brief search shows one user who considered the Dragonfly superior to the big brother MS2+ .
Good luck with your search!
post #3 of 412/11/12 at 3:55pm
I own both the DragonFly and the HRT MSII. I did a quick comparison on the weekend (I needed a distraction from my certification studies), and the DragonFly is cleaner then the MSII. Although the MSII seems to have a bit more bass.
I will need to sit down sometime soon to make a full comparison and post back into this thread incase anybody is curious about either DAC.post #4 of 412/13/12 at 4:51am
Had a good 45 minutes of comparing the DragonFly and the HRT MSII tonight. These DACs are fed from iTunes - Audirvana Plus - DAC - Little Dot MkIII - Sennheiser HD650.
FIrstly, the MSII is a good DAC. However, to my ears, the DragonFly is more resolving. I pulls a bit more detail then the MSII. The best way I can describe it is that when going from the MSII to the DragonFly, it is like some clouds moving away to reveal a sunny day. The soundstage is also slightly wider with the DragonFly.
The DragonFly is a little harsh compared to the MSII. The MSII is a little more laid back then the DragonFly, and the DF is more energetic, but gets a bit rough around the edges when the material gets complex. Like "Despair" from Dark Knight Rises soundtrack.
I thought I'd also pull out the Rega DAC from my main system to have a listen. And wow, yes, it is about 4 to 5 times the cost more, but it just does a lot more things right compared to the DragonFly and the MSII.
Time to save up for a better DAC for my headphone setup. Although, I think the MSII and the DragonFly are pretty good for their cost.
- HRT Music streamer II vs audioquest dragonfly
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › INCREDIBLE!! THE YOUNGER SIBLING OF PROJECT SUNRISE 2--THE NEW... 24 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 1 minute ago
- › Last Mid ohio meet this year Fall meet here we come. (westerville... 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › sharing worst experience in audio-gd! Be careful everyone.. 1 minute ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 304 IEMs compared (Clear Tune Monitors WLS-5... 2 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Initial Faliure 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendations: full size with best comfort, isolation, spoken... 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude