Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 342

post #5116 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonlanny View Post

Just a clarification, and no offense taken:
I already knew that the HE-560 isn't a flagship, and wasn't implying that It was rolleyes.gif
Go back and read what I wrote.
I wrote :
'Would be interesting to see where the newest flagships, and other TOP NEWER HEADPHONES would rank on this list'.
The Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD700, Audeze LCD 2, Beyerdynamic DT880/DT770, or the Hifiman HE-500/HE-400 weren't flagships either, but they were a part of this shootout as well wink.gif

 

Just a correction, the HD600, 650 and LCD2 were all flagships in the past. The LCD2 was the top of Audeze chain and their only full production can, till the LCD3 arrived. The HD600 took over from the HD580 as the flagship model until the release of the HD650 a decade ago, then came the HD800.

 

The DT880 were considered by many to be the best on offer by Beyer way back, but the DT990 might be considered the flagship "by number".

post #5117 of 5128

I auditoned today the LCD 3 the LCD X and LCD 2 (along with the HE-560) for around 2 hours.

All LCD were Fazor versions.

 

I was using a rather poor chain (on purpouse), and my favorite was the LCD 2.

Both LCD 3 and X sounded VERY similar to me, with the LCD 3 being clearly better, but by so little it was not something id pay more for.

The HE-560 sounded like a mix of a Dynamic HP in the highs and a PLanar in the lower mids/lows.

The problem with that was that it sounded weird.

I could not focus and enjoy either the bass the mids or the highs because everything was in my face. There is a huge chance Im just not trained enought yet to actually hear the difference, so take my subjetive view with a rock of salt (a grain would be too little).

post #5118 of 5128

The upper mids/low treble on the HE-560 are very forward, that is what you are hearing. Some of us are very sensitive to spikes in that area and it can overpower the rest of the spectrums, as you describe. I ended up skipping this particular headphone for that reason.

 

Over time, I've discovered what I adore about the HD800 is the mids are actually laid back slightly, but the treble is forward. So it's oddly relaxing yet insanely detailed.

post #5119 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post
 

I auditoned today the LCD 3 the LCD X and LCD 2 (along with the HE-560) for around 2 hours.

All LCD were Fazor versions.

 

I was using a rather poor chain (on purpouse), and my favorite was the LCD 2.

Both LCD 3 and X sounded VERY similar to me, with the LCD 3 being clearly better, but by so little it was not something id pay more for.

The HE-560 sounded like a mix of a Dynamic HP in the highs and a PLanar in the lower mids/lows.

The problem with that was that it sounded weird.

I could not focus and enjoy either the bass the mids or the highs because everything was in my face. There is a huge chance Im just not trained enought yet to actually hear the difference, so take my subjetive view with a rock of salt (a grain would be too little).

 

 

There is a 4khz peak with the HE-560, how noticeable the peak is will depend on your source/amp. With most solid state amps on the current market, there's a good chance the peak will be noticeable. Dynamic highs, planar mids and lows leads me to believe there is a mismatch in equipment though, because you're calling it 'poor', so I have to assume the amp can't keep up as there is a 10 dB difference in sensitivity with the LCD-2F and a staggering 20 dB difference with the LCD-3F. I personally hear the tone as neutral with no part being forward.

 

I still think the HE-560 needs to be heard for people curious about this peak that have capable tube amps, hybrids or warm solid state amps and dacs. I was surprised nothing out of the HE-560's was forward out of my stack. Highs were actually slightly laid back but never sounding recessed.

post #5120 of 5128

560 has a 6-7db hump at 4khz with focus pads, and a 3db hump at 4khz with focus pads-a.  Put the focus pads-a on them and then EQ 4khz down 3db, then 2khz up 3db.

post #5121 of 5128
.

Edited by DreamKing - 4/26/15 at 7:18pm
post #5122 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

560 has a 6-7db hump at 4khz with focus pads, and a 3db hump at 4khz with focus pads-a.  Put the focus pads-a on them and then EQ 4khz down 3db, then 2khz up 3db.

 

That's a cost effective tune-up. Although, why not just start by equalizing 6-7 dB's down with the focus pads?

post #5123 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKing View Post
 

 

 

There is a 4khz peak with the HE-560, how noticeable the peak is will depend on your source/amp. With most solid state amps on the current market, there's a good chance the peak will be noticeable. Dynamic highs, planar mids and lows leads me to believe there is a mismatch in equipment though, because you're calling it 'poor', so I have to assume the amp can't keep up as there is a 10 dB difference in sensitivity with the LCD-2F and a staggering 20 dB difference with the LCD-3F. I personally hear the tone as neutral with no part being forward.

 

I still think the HE-560 needs to be heard for people curious about this peak that have capable tube amps, hybrids or warm solid state amps and dacs. I was surprised nothing out of the HE-560's was forward out of my stack. Highs were actually slightly laid back but never sounding recessed.

It was a short listen, and the source was just a cowon i9, so Its not like I was giving them the best option out there.

I want to try the HD800 also and then have a decent Idea of what HP to... loan i guess for a few days to really test them properly.

post #5124 of 5128

Found a pair of headphone that will rival the HE-90 in terms of cost. Can't say the same about how they sound though.

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chanel-x-Monster-Headphone-pouch-clutch-bag-watch-preorder-/321742487898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae958c15a

post #5125 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
 

Found a pair of headphone that will rival the HE-90 in terms of cost. Can't say the same about how they sound though.

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chanel-x-Monster-Headphone-pouch-clutch-bag-watch-preorder-/321742487898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae958c15a

Actually the announce price is $5000. And yeah, the Chanel carrying pouch itself costs $4999 already.

post #5126 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
 

Found a pair of headphone that will rival the HE-90 in terms of cost. Can't say the same about how they sound though.

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chanel-x-Monster-Headphone-pouch-clutch-bag-watch-preorder-/321742487898?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae958c15a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinAyasaki View Post
 

Actually the announce price is $5000. And yeah, the Chanel carrying pouch itself costs $4999 already.

 

Those were announced long ago. My friend and I were talking about how they probably don't cost more than $100 to make.

post #5127 of 5128
Quote:Music Concoctor
 My friend and I were talking about how they probably don't cost more than $100 to make.

Realistically, not more than 100c is some distant sweat-shop.

 

Importer and middle-man markups are brutal......   :blink: 

post #5128 of 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post

 

Music Concocter? LOL!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)