or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 328

post #4906 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

One things I have been wondering, Are Stax cheaper electrostats relativly close in performance to their flaghips? (I mean the same way as the HD600 is to the HD800, yet the prices differ a lot).

Ive been always Interested in Electrostats and I can get some used models with thier dedicated amps for rather cheap (207,307,407), but I wonder if the Performance gap is Similar to the price gap.

I also found a used Stax Sigma, but I am a bit afraid of all the issues I might run into.
The 507 was far inferior to the 007mk1. $750 vs $2000. However both the srx mk3 and sr-5 were better than the 507. And these 2 are quite a bit cheaper than the 507.
post #4907 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argybargy View PostThe 507 was far inferior to the 007mk1. $750 vs $2000. However both the srx mk3 and sr-5 were better than the 507.

Not quite that simple. It's pretty subjective.

post #4908 of 5370

I just want to know how a 29 year old guy who works at a headphone website has a 41K DAC and all of that gear. Le sigh.

post #4909 of 5370

You must never ask questions like that! Never!!

 

 

:p

post #4910 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
 

I just want to know how a 29 year old guy who works at a headphone website has a 41K DAC and all of that gear. Le sigh.

Bro-deals, and lots of ramen.

post #4911 of 5370

I went the Stax route for a while and I sold it all. The 407/507 are not anywhere near the higher level Stax. Amping is always an expensive problem with Stax.  I found the 407/507 very uncomfortable for long listening. I think unless you are willing to go all in with Stax and spend a lot of money the lower models are only good for a taste of what something like an 007 or 009 can do with the right amp. Honestly the HD800 paired with a good amp can come remarkably close to the speed of the the better stats. Mid level Stax cannot compete.

post #4912 of 5370

This thread needs to test the Ultrasone Signature DJ. :) 

post #4913 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

I went the Stax route for a while and I sold it all. The 407/507 are not anywhere near the higher level Stax. Amping is always an expensive problem with Stax.  I found the 407/507 very uncomfortable for long listening. I think unless you are willing to go all in with Stax and spend a lot of money the lower models are only good for a taste of what something like an 007 or 009 can do with the right amp. Honestly the HD800 paired with a good amp can come remarkably close to the speed of the the better stats. Mid level Stax cannot compete.
General consensus is that some of the vintage stuff is better than the new stuff after all..
post #4914 of 5370

I would hope will all the gear he is selling, that he would buy newer headphones like the LCD-X and the HE-560, but I fear he is using the money for his new house (or whatever he is selling his headphones for). 

 

We've lost him guys. 
 

post #4915 of 5370
What reviews. Thank you all.
post #4916 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balticvid View Post

What reviews. Thank you all.


Perhaps take a look at page 1 of this thread, if that's what you're referring to  http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13


Edited by Mortalcoil - 4/22/14 at 5:07pm
post #4917 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalcoil View Post
 


Perhaps take a look at page 1 of this thread, if that's what you're referring to  http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

No, what I think he was trying to say was that he was suprised how detailed his reviews were. He wrote it in a sacarastic way, but I knew he was trying to say it sounding enthusiastically.

post #4918 of 5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneraI View Post
 

No, what I think he was trying to say was that he was suprised how detailed his reviews were. He wrote it in a sacarastic way, but I knew he was trying to say it sounding enthusiastically.


You may be right. 

post #4919 of 5370
Wow,what a great review smily_headphones1.gif Thx a lot biggrin.gif
post #4920 of 5370

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you David!!! Thanks to this review my headphone journey began after much searching on the web. I got the HD600, that was 6 months ago now. You've helped guide me toward the HE400 and HE500 as well. Just thought I might as well sign up and thank you after all that you've helped me with :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)