- 885 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Sweden, Västra götaland :)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 10/2/14 at 9:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/26/15
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Introduction The Fidue A65 is in quite of an interesting place. It's in the budget range that has a lot of great contenders, but in it's defence it brings a Titanium micro dynamic driver, and with...
This review is for the iclever IC-BTH01 Bluetooth Stereo Headset INTRODUCTION Let me introduce myself my name is Adam I am a 38 years old, I have been into audio equipment since I was in...
Introduction: Cayin is a Chinese company that has recently made quite a splash in the portable audio world with some of their very nice and budget friendly portable gear. The C5 amplifier has...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 302post #4516 of 51999/10/13 at 6:32amCan anyone tip me one of these headphones that has similar sound to q701 but punchiet lows? Amazing read btw
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4517 of 51999/10/13 at 6:52amQuote:Originally Posted by Leliana
Well it has more extended treble than the LCD2 on my set up so I guess its not as dark. I find that I enjoy treble happy music more with it, an example would be Toundra II by Toundra (post rock and very high tuned guitar), where the guitars soar up very high. The LCD2 with these can sound both dull and surprisingly a bit unenjoyable compared to the HE-500. It can seem to lack the detail somewhat. The HE-500 both has a very smooth sound in this case and also delivers more sparkle. The T1 in comparison is too bright and fatiguing with albums like these.
Maybe saying it was more smooth should be refraised to I just prefer its treble balance and detail more than the LCD2 in these cases.
And when I mean treble happy, I mean just in the instrument tuning, not that they are brightly mastered poor albums.
Oh, sorry. I misunderstood you.
I had the opportunity to hear a LCD2(rev. 2) and I prefered the HE-500 over it. I like my Jazz with more sparkle and air.
LCD2 excelled with acoustic(string instruments) overall though.
Edited by Okamoto - 9/10/13 at 6:56ampost #4518 of 51999/10/13 at 6:25pmQuote:
Funny, that's just what I found the HE-500 to lack: sparkle and air. I even bought a second one (used) as I thought there must have been something wrong with the first, but no.post #4519 of 51999/10/13 at 9:03pm
Ummmm... I'm highly considering either the HE-400 or the HE-500. Any other recommendations at that price point?
Would it be a good upgrade to the Q701? I know the sound signature is different...post #4520 of 51999/11/13 at 11:08amQuote:
At $700, I'm not sure you can do much better than the HE-500. I was thoroughly impressed with the sound for my audition.
I do plan on hearing the HD600/HD650 next though. Both are cheaper and could potentially beat out the HE-500 if their fit is more comfortable (I was not keen in the weight of the HE-500, not how the pads fit on your ears).
Also, Mads Dogs at $300, Alpha Dogs at $600. Very possible the Alpha Dogs could finish ahead of the HE-500, hence I will wait. The fit and weight distribution is way in favor of the Dogs (assuming Alpha Dog fit is similar to the Mad Dog fit).
All of these discussed have a different sound signature than the Q701. Q701 has a large soundstage and is really bass-lite and airy. Most of these are warmer and darker sounding, although they are aiming for neutral on the Alpha Dog.
Edited by GoldfishX - 9/11/13 at 11:10ampost #4521 of 51999/11/13 at 11:55amQuote:
I just upgraded from the Q701 to the HE-400. I haven't heard the HE-500, but here are my basic impressions:
Bass -- So much better on the HE-400. It goes just as deep, if not deeper, hits much harder, and is faster. Even though it's faster, it's not necessarily "tighter," since the HE-400 has much more midbass.
Midrange -- More recessed compared to the Q701, but it has a fast, tactile edge that really sounds nice on distorted guiters and synths. More crunch.
Highs -- Maybe not as extended as the Q701. The HE-400 are less bright overall, but there is a peak in the treble that gives it some sparkle (or fatigue, depending on how much you like highs). I thought the highs on the Q701 were smoother, but also more emphasized.
Soundstage/ Imaging -- The HE-400 have a smaller soundstage, but not by a large amount. However, the imaging is significantly better and more precise. I found the Q701s emphasized width but could also sound too diffuse. The HE-400 are more focused and 3D. You are closer to the music and the center image is denser.
Detail -- A bit more detail through the HE-400. The Q701, with their brighter sound, can make small details louder and more obvious, but the HE-400 reveals more in the end. You have to listen more closely though.
Overall, the HE-400 have more of a "v-shaped" signature, with a focused and precise soundstage that's moderately smaller. The imaging is really much more defined. The HE-400 have a lot more midbass and a denser, thicker sound. Somewhat paradoxically, though, the HE-400 is also faster and more resolving. Sounds snap in and out of a nice, black background, and there is a tactile and precisely textured weight to the bass and midrange.
Hope that helps.post #4522 of 51999/11/13 at 12:34pmThank you very much for your feedback. I'm basically searching for a more detailed sound, that's why I'm looking for the Hifiman, either the he400 or the he500. For reviews I saw the Sennheisers are more smooth than detailed. The only thing that doesn't really convince me about the he4/500 is the treble department. I thought before that I liked more dark signatures but after buying the Q701 I found that they were actually the only cans that I don't EQ, and that I really enjoy as they are. I'll probably give Hifiman a chance as it is very difficult to audition headphones in El Paso before buying them.
Edited by Ashade - 9/11/13 at 12:35pmpost #4523 of 51999/11/13 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ashade
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm basically searching for a more detailed sound, that's why I'm looking for the Hifiman, either the he400 or the he500. For reviews I saw the Sennheisers are more smooth than detailed. The only thing that doesn't really convince me about the he4/500 is the treble department. I thought before that I liked more dark signatures but after buying the Q701 I found that they were actually the only cans that I don't EQ, and that I really enjoy as they are. I'll probably give Hifiman a chance as it is very difficult to audition headphones in El Paso before buying them.
The HE-400 treble is a little odd in that there is a dip in the upper midrange and then a peak around 9 KHz. Certain vocals and instruments can sound slightly off, but I mostly listen to electronic where I don't notice it. I found the Q701 to be more evenly balanced in this region and a little less fatiguing even though brighter overall. Listening to favorite songs, I am noticing more new details in the mids and lows than in the treble through the HE-400. The detail is a different flavor compared to the Q701, more in the articulation of each sound, how sounds stop and start and how their texture changes. The Q701 detail is more like shining a light onto the music. If that makes any sense. Or maybe a visual analogy: the HE-400 is like a nice 8x10 print of a photo on heavy matte paper, whereas as the Q701 is like a big TV showing the same picture. The print is actually sharper, but in a more subdued way because its smaller and darker. It doesn't have the vivid pop of a big, backlit TV.
FWIW, I was starting to think that I liked bright signatures when I was using the Q701, but the HE-400 changed my mind. I do EQ them heavily though.post #4524 of 51999/11/13 at 2:18pmpost #4525 of 51999/11/13 at 4:56pmIf you really like the your Q701s and want to go the hifiman route, then I would suggest you spring for the HE-500 over the 400s. Just understand that the soundstage will be smaller than the Qs. The bass is deeper and has more impact while the treble is nice with some sparkle but not bright. Much more like an improved Q701 sound than the 400s imo.post #4526 of 51999/11/13 at 6:02pmpost #4527 of 51999/11/13 at 11:48pmQuote:
right!!!!post #4528 of 51999/12/13 at 1:19ampost #4529 of 51999/12/13 at 2:04ampost #4530 of 51999/12/13 at 3:34amQuote:
just noticed your signature, lol
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 1 second ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 33 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Melodious XM-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 2 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 2 minutes ago
- › audio technica ad900x for sale - MINT 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 3 minutes ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 3 minutes ago
- › Closed headphone for listening to techno? 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by biggbenn74
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by snapacap
- › AKG Y50 Black On-Ear Headphone with In-Line One-Button Universal... by acain
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by Chaoturbo
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)