Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAlessandro MS-Protagged by System, 11/8/12
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio Technica W5000tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT880Stagged by System, 11/8/12
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by Bilgates, 2/18/14
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 11/15/12More
- productGrado PS1000 Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productGrado RS1tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productGrado RS 2itagged by System, 11/15/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 2/28/13
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by deafanddumb, 2/17/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 700 Headphonetagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productSennheiser Orpheus HE-90tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productShure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 11/8/12
- productStax SR-007 Mk2tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productStax SR-Ω (SR-Omega)tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 10tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productUltrasone Edition 8tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone ES 5tagged by System, 11/15/12
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 11/15/12
Related Forum Threads
- Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet? Last post on 9/25/15 at 9:25am in High-end Audio Forum
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Pictures to be added shortly... Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am...
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) - Page 289post #4321 of 55547/20/13 at 3:30pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4322 of 55547/20/13 at 3:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by Silent One
Some moons back - say 2008 - I drew a line in the sand. I would NOT spend north of $2k on headphones. Period. That's speaker territory for my wallet, a clearly defined one without blur or confusion.
...like many, my lifestyle changed. No longer having my own place. Or living largely by myself - suddenly having to consider others nearby in the way of roommates. In fact, this is the origin of WooAudio pretty much and how they came into being as a business. Many living in NYC close to each other, on top of each other and speakers for many were no longer an option. WA understood this and emerged to satisfy this reality.
Fast forward to 2013 and I cannot for the life of me find that line once firmly drawn. I did look for it
recently and closely - there's simply no sign or trace of its existence. I just sold my beloved D7000 and for the very first time I'm considering scratching or surpassing the line I once drew. And without balking.
A fav song of mine is "You Can't Lose What You Never Had" - by The Muddy Waters Tribute Band. I enjoyed listening to the HE-6 for a few months, the HD800 and while they did bring me some things I had been missing, I was content settling back in with my D7000 and not worried about what I didn't have. Rather, enjoying my music library with what I did have in the D7000.
Only because my listening pleasure must remain private for now, and I want to replace my cans with something of quality, we're headed north!
You can get a new basic STAX rig for less than $600 USD nowadays. It sounds better than many of the dynamic an planar magnetic headphones to me and you still don't go past $1000.post #4323 of 55547/20/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
Ah, you caught my use of the word potentially... I'll be screening south of $2k, trust me. Not familiar with Stax options, but I know a few mafia members who'll be glad to help. Thanks for weighing-in.post #4324 of 55547/20/13 at 4:25pmpost #4325 of 55547/20/13 at 5:47pm
But... the K-Horns would give a place to rest my HD650 while I run to the fridge!post #4326 of 55547/20/13 at 8:41pmQuote:
I'm not buying it...
(I do, however, want to buy a pair of Magnepan's... Oops! Did that just slip out? )post #4327 of 55547/22/13 at 1:16am
FYI, I have posted a very very brief summary of my initial finding of the Abyss ab-1266
in comparison to the HD800.
Overall, It is a better headphone than the hd800. It's like they mixed most of the good points of an LCD3 with a HD800. Very enjoyable headphone.
I found that playing with different earpads positions can drastically improve the bass. It took a while to get the 'optimal' fit.
I am currently still burning in these headphones.post #4328 of 55547/22/13 at 5:27ampost #4329 of 55547/22/13 at 5:38amQuote:
I will probably have to agree with you there. You could also get a th900 or a T1 with the remaining $2000.
I could probably make the same argument for the star sr-009. The point is that the HD800 and others (like the lcd3 and he-6 maybe) are damn close to these super expensive headphones (with the right setup).post #4330 of 55547/22/13 at 6:17ampost #4331 of 55547/22/13 at 6:40amQuote:
good point!!!post #4332 of 55547/22/13 at 7:32am
Well yeah. So far to me, one of the main benefits of the planar magnetic headphones is their affordability. That makes the Abyss seem even more expensive than it is, even though it can driven off a normal amplifier like the Burson.
Plus, I agree with Tyll...The LOOK of that thing makes it easy to not want one.
I think it's acceptable (unfortunately) that electrostats are naturally expensive and as are their amps, just based on precedents like the Stax models and the Orpheus. I just don't think there's a ton of room for a lot of super-expensive headphones like that.
But for my own curiousity, I would love to see where David would throw it into the ranking.post #4333 of 55547/22/13 at 7:46ampost #4334 of 55547/22/13 at 8:32pmThread Starter
Hopefully i will get to everyones questions in the past few days:)...
I probably won't be adding this to the evaluation, but i would consider it. At this point I would probably need to sell off gear to fit new gear. I am out space and close to out of $ :)Quote:Originally Posted by Wyd4
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response.
I am potentially moving from a very easy set of headphones to listen to so I have some reservations.
The Momentums are a great pair of headphones but I don't know, they leave me wanting more.
I feel like the highs are almost dulled and the bass seems to 'thud', though it is no slouch in the bass department.
I also find the cups slightly small on the senns.
Hope I am making the right choice
The Momentums and HE400 are such different headphones. The Momentums are a travel partner and sound great (IMO) for casual smart phone listening. When I was sent a demo pair from Sennheiser I was really impressed with the overall build for the type of application it was designed for. I also thought it resembled the AH-D1100 sonically, which is a headphone I enjoy.
The HE-400 is portable compatible, but not really a similar type of portable.Quote:
Yes the warranty is transferable, and I feel that the recent versions alleviated the issue (even if not quite eliminated) because they use metal connectors rather than wood. That was typically the achilles heal of the wood. The Bamboo may have a higher success rate with regard to cracking, but it may also be that the bamboo has only been made with the metal connectors as opposed to the rosewood which has a bit more design history.Quote:
I used to own the DT990 250 ohm, and a coworker of mine uses a DT990 32 ohm at his desk. I think the headphone has a lot of good qualities. It is a very exciting balance, even if its not quite entirely natural to my ears. But overall, I still think the overall resolution is very good. Haven't used the M-100.Quote:
I would say so, for the most part.Quote:Originally Posted by rb2013
If anyone has a spare $22K laying around - a Sennheiser Orpheus HE90/HEV 90 set just listed over at Audiogon.
It's amazing how often they come up considering theres less than 300 systems in existence.
I keep meaning to code this. The HE60 really adds some perspective I think because its very very good.
I've had some recent work and commissions that have stopped me from having any free time.Quote:Originally Posted by Wyd4
Here is a can of worms...
HE-400 or Grado rs2i.
I know they are completely different phones.
However both are within my price range and I have never heard either in person.
Where I live you can probably look around and find demo's for Beats (or stab yourself in the ears if preferred) and MAYBE some other rappers brand.
I am looking to replace my Sennheiser Momentums as discussed in previous posts (I think).
In any case I listen to a broad range of music. Primarily Metal/Rock, but to throw a potential spanner in the grado works, electronic including 90's trance, Happy Hardcore etc etc.
I also listen to classical and acoustic from time to time, however I am not going to complain if my classical is ever so slightly off if the above is somewhat satisfied.
Generally speaking I like a bass capable headphone. By that I don't mean a muddy horrible sound (enter Beats), but I like it to be strong enough.
I believe both of the headphones above a capable in that regard.
Other than that, I basically want a phone that is fairly balanced sound.
I was going to get the HE-400's hands down days ago, however I want to make sure I cover all bases before I go outlay up to $500 on a set of headphones.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer :).
I say HE-400, but it will depend on your listening pref. Both are in the review so I won't comment on the sonic differences here, but I obviously like the HE-400 more:)Quote:
Thanks! But wait.... not everything in the review is $$$, some very good values in there. And those models are very important.Quote:
I heard the DX1000 at a meet recently and I may not have given it a fair shake, but I wasn't taken quite so much. The owner really loved them though. It's extremely difficult for me to judge a headphone at a meet. A little easier when the headphone is closed, but still hard. Some headphones grow on me over the course of several listens.Quote:
I know a lot of people wish for this to be on the list. If I continue to add into next year, I will probably add this, but I don't think I'm going to add much more.Quote:
From the sonic perspective, Electrostatics have a clean/fast sound and generally sound more transparent to me.
I like the way R10's drivers sound and they are probably the closest non-electrostatic to sound closest to electrostatic. The dynamic transducers have more weight in their sound and often have a more visceral bass impact. The planar magnetics seem have a lot of the characteristics on both sides of the fence, impact and speed, but I think there are obviously some dynamic and some electrostatic which trump the best planar magnetics that i've heard. I would have written more on this matter but i need to give my hands a rest for now lol
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 32 seconds ago
- › DT990 Pro Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › FS: New Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › New Loaner Program - Moon Neo 230 Headphone amp and DAC 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 2 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 2 minutes ago
- › Budget Lossless MP3 Player 3 minutes ago
- › SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit we'd like to see 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...